Start by marking “Season of the Sun (Viking, #1)” as Want to Read:
Season of the Sun (Viking, #1)

Season of the Sun (Viking Era #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,424 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A viking romance IS ALWAYS IN SEASON

First published in 1991, Season of the Sun is the glorious story of a Viking man whose love for one woman is nearly destroyed by her stubborn stepfather.

Zarabeth, with hair as red as an Irish sunset, is chosen by Magnus Haraldsson, a Viking on a trading visit to York, to be his wife. She is both stunned and fascinated by his bluntness,
Published July 1st 2002 by Signet (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Season of the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season of the Sun

ivana18
What a ridiculous book.
This is the second Catherine Coulter book I've picked up and it is the only one of her books I actually managed to finish (just barely).
I honestly don't know how is it possible that this woman is a considered to be a successful romance author.
Her writing style gives me a whiplash. One minute the characters are talking or thinking about one thing, and then all of a sudden, without any warning or subtlety, they change the topic of their conversation/thoughts. The author do
Meg Kinch
Jul 03, 2010 Meg Kinch rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy dominant alpha males willing to do anything to get what they want.
While I was torn between giving this 2 or 3 stars, I decided to give it three stars. This book is about Zarabeth, a woman who lives with her jealous stepfather and takes care of her little sister Lotti who was deafened as a child due to her father's cruelty. While going to fetch water one day at the center well of Coppergate, Zarabeth is approached by Viking Warrior, Magnus Haroldsson who says that he will wed with her and have her as his own regardless. Once her stepfather found out about this, ...more
Regan Walker
A well-told Viking tale set in the Danelaw (Danish ruled territory of England) and Norway in the late 9th century. Like others of Coulter’s, she doesn’t hold back when it comes to the violence of the times nor the cruelty inflicted on a worthy heroine by a bold alpha male who has his information wrong. I love that about her writing, but some who are looking for a softer story might not. If you can get past that (and I did), the story will hold your attention and I highly recommend it. Coulter’s ...more
Noelle
3 1/2

Magnus (H) when spurned by the woman he had chosen for a wife he did what any good Viking would do.......he took her for his slave instead.

Zarabeth ( h) ,when she told her stepfather that a Viking wanted her for a wife he didn't react like she thought he would. Instead,wanting her for himself ,he threatened to have her little sister killed if she didn't turn the Viking down.

I think I may have rated this book higher if I had the time to just sit and read it in a few days instead of a few we
Hanife
Bu yorum aynı zamanda Romancekolikte yayınlanmıştır.

Kitabı çok severek okudum. Bol entrikalı, sizi meraktan çatlatacak kitaplardan biri. Bir kere oğlumuz Viking! Hikaye yanılmıyorsam 900lerde geçiyor. Konusu ise Magnus tüccarlık yapmak için York limanına demir atmıştır ve şehirde dolaştığında güzeller güzeli Zarabeth'i görüp kapılır. Kadın onun olacaktır. Bu konuda hiç şüphesi yoktur.

Ertesi gün kızı tekrar gördüğünde yanına gider ver adının Magnus Harraldson olduğunu ailesinin Norveç yakınlar
Maureen Feeney
Zarabeth meets and falls for the Viking Magnus Haraldsson, she wants to marry him. Zarabeth has a deaf halfsister Lottie who her stepfather dislikes, he tells zarabeth he will kill Lottie if she does not refuse Magnus, so she does in a brutal way to convince him she does not love him. Zarabeth ends up married to her stepfather Olav The Great, convicted of his murder and sold to Magnus instead of penalty of death. Magnus wants revenge on the woman who played with his feelings a woman he now belie ...more
Rhapsody
May 19, 2007 Rhapsody rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Viking romance readers
Not great. Zarabeth's stepfather forces her to marry him and to snub the Viking who has been courting her and whom she loves, Magnus. When her stepfather dies shortly afterwards, she's framed for murdering him and Magnus basically buys her for his slave, taking her back to his home where he sort of courts her anew while his sister makes her life miserable.

Does Zarabeth even ever explain to Magnus that she was forced to snub him by her stepfather? I read this book a bit impatiently so maybe I mis
Vivisection
When we last left our reading heroine, she was completely engrossed in the hot, virile, gratuitously violent men of the History Channel's series, Vikings--so much so--that the entire first season was absorbed in one lazy Saturday.

Not quite finished with the need to experience Viking pillaging, I turned to my friend the internet and before Bob's your uncle, Viking smut downloaded and begun.

To be clear: I blame The History Channel for this latest time suck. Beyond the rapey-rape because hey, thi
Roub
i felt torn, my heart bled for zarabeth. she was treated so unfairly and unjustly. i dunno how she loved magnus after the abominable way he treated her. he raped, abused her and treated her like a pathetic dog! the book grabbed me from the first page and i felt it deserved a 4 star but it was entertaining in a horrible way. at times, i just wished zarabeth wud commit suicide. but dat never happens to heroines, so i knew i was hoping in vain. the end actually made up for it as magnus also knew pa ...more
Susan
Viking gets his feelings hurt and throws a hissy fit that doesn't let up. As crappy as Coulter's old-school rape-mances often were, they were tons more credible than her contemporary "thrillers." Those Vikings could be such big babies! Is it any wonder they couldn't stop pillaging?
Becky Mcgill-collins
One of my favorite strong female hero in a male controlled world type of stories. I found it sort of gritty, not too sappy which makes this novel stand out as a favorite. I have re-read it several times, and I know I will again.
Deirdre
Vikings with potatoes in York. Rape forgiven way too easily. 2.5 stars, it's readable but the potato issue jolted me out of the willing suspension of disbelief and the romance wasn't quite convincing.

And red headedness is apparently a viking trait. Up to the beginning of the 20th century Scots people were depicted as red-headed and Irish as black haired. Yeah, the potato thing knocked my ability to enjoy it and the rape as romance made it harder to gloss over other faults. Copyright 1991, could
Lover of Romance
Zarabeth, lives in York with her step father and her step brother and younger sister. Zarabeth has yet to find a spouse, due to the fact that her step father chases most of her suitors away, until a warrior viking comes into town and starts courting her and wanting to marry her. At first Zarabeth is shocked at Magnus at his bluntness at wanting her for his wife and lover, but is intrigued and knows that she wants him as well, because he stirs up her senses like none other has ever done before. B ...more
Wiwo Aprilia
My Fav book on 2014 on Historical romance. Oh Viking Magnus you broke my heart but you also recuperate it back too *sigh*

Some people feel little bit dislike about the collar for the slaves, to our modern mind it seems so Savages. but not forget Slavery extinct just 50-60 years ago all over the world. Not even 1 century yet. Our minds are Savage. Not the Collar. Besides it was on 9th century. So we read this book we have to "look" at back then, not right now.
Sara
This book is very much a product of its times. I'm shocked that '80s and '90s romance novels considered rape scenes to be acceptable, but it is what it is. I enjoyed reading about Vikings and I suppose that stuff is all a part of the package. I loved the children in this book, Lotti and Egill were what bumped this one up from 2 to 3 stars.
Ana
– Season of the Sun is the first Viking romance I ever read and I immediately fell in love with the genre. Coulter is talented author who pays attention to historical detail without losing sight of character development and the romance plot line. Magnus is as bold and brash as one would imagine a Viking male would be while Zarabeth comes off a little too naive at times though this doesn’t detract from her charm. This novel is a great read for those who enjoy the grittier romances. ~ Cerise, www. ...more
Amy
It took a while to get into this book but I enjoyed it. It was just interesting enough and took a lot of twists and turns to keep me guessing and interested.
Deb
Good

Entertaining, that's it... Not a top favorite of Coulter's work.
it good to read for a rainy day. Nothing more.
Jen
Rape....raperaperape. Not cool.
Tina
What I remember most about this book was the besotted hero. He was so obsessive with the heroine, it was endearing. I mean the guy was psycho infatuated. He was a caveman, dragging her off to his cave by her long, red hair, and of course, cavemen don't understand what NO means....

It was all so entertaining...
Nadine Jones
Jun 20, 2012 Nadine Jones marked it as did-not-finish
My first viking romance!

so far this book SUCKS! LOL! I may not get very far ... it's very expositiony, and feels dated (I know, that's an odd thing to say about a historical, but if you read them, you know what I mean).

This book still sucks. I only manage a few pages a night because I keep falling asleep!!
Maddie
I read this back when this was new and I loved it! This is a Viking Bodice Ripper and this story had just about everything I need, danger, fear, violence and a dominant Alpha. Come on, the past was just such a place. This is probably not for those 'faint of heart' and into Big Time PC.
Marianne
Why, oh, why did Anne Flosnik have to narrate this audiobook? Her voice drives me mad. It's so distracting :( I really think I lose a little bit of my sanity every time I listen to one of her performances.
Kaza
Catherine Coulter books never seem to appeal to me. I thought this one might be the exception and while I did enjoy it more than others I have read, it was not a great read.
PNR
Uhhhhh..... this made no sense. I seriously did not understand the heroine at all. Not romantic, just sad.
Holly Will
Another trashy novel, but this was set during the Viking Era, so I liked it the same.
Lesli
Good not great. Fairly typical historical romance.
Sarah Dane
Read it while I was on break. Good read :)
Kiddi
WOW! is all i can say to this story.
Egoyibo Okoro
True to form, Catherine. Nice read!
Bodice Ripper Rea...: Coulter's Viking Series 6 31 May 23, 2012 04:20PM
  • Golden Surrender (Viking, #1)
  • Viking!
  • Dream of Me
  • The Conqueror
  • Fires of Winter (Haardrad Viking Family, #1)
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Viking's Prize
  • Swan Road
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • The Panther and the Pearl
  • The Taming (Peregrine, #1)
  • Desert Hostage
  • Saxon Bride
  • The Silver Devil
  • The Ground She Walks Upon

Viking Era (4 books)
  • Lord of Hawkfell Island (Viking #2)
  • Lord of Raven's Peak (Viking, #3)
  • Lord of Falcon Ridge (Viking #4)
The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1) The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2) Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15) Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7) Point Blank (FBI Thriller #10)