Start by marking “The Poet Game: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Poet Game: A Novel

The Poet Game: A Novel

3.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In the wake of the first World Trade Center bombing, New York City is the center of an intricate web of betrayals and double-crosses in the shadowy world of Muslim radicals. Sami Amir arrives in Brooklyn via Iran, and into a world of militants, arms suppliers, and spies. He is a counter-intelligence agent from a branch of the Iranian Ministry of Security. The son of an Ame ...more
Published April 7th 2001 by Picador (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Poet Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poet Game

Michael
May 03, 2009 Michael rated it it was ok
Shelves: literary-novels
Abdoh's debut is a terse mess of a spy novel, obviously run through the contemporary fiction workshop mill and sucked clean of anything interesting. His prose is snappy, but these days snappy prose is not enough, especially in a book marketed as literary fiction. I suppose there's some sort of exotic allure, Abdoh and his narrator both being Iranian, but there's no sense of culture in any of the characters, so any claim of multiculturalism rings empty and false.

The narrator's tone is clueless an
Nick
May 25, 2015 Nick rated it liked it
Prescient spy thriller about middle-eastern terrorists written shortly before 9/11. Snappily written, but with some serious plot and characterisation issues.
Tiffany Smart
Mar 12, 2014 Tiffany Smart rated it did not like it
Seriously thee worst book I've ever read. If I didn't finish every book I started on principle, I wouldn't have made it through chapter one.
Maggie Roessler
"I call it reaching to the heart of the matter. If I could split myself into ten different people, I'd be even happier. Sarajevo was an experience, so is being a stripper in New York. Experience teaches you detachment."

All the trust issues and double-crossings bored me, but Sami's identity crises as he wanders around New York City were fun to follow. Also, I liked the poem Ellena wrote:

Something moaned
In her?
Though it could have been the oud she plays
When he calls for her
Bookreaderljh
Jun 08, 2011 Bookreaderljh rated it it was ok
Not a big fan of spy novels and this one really wasn't very good anyways. It was written in a pulp fiction style and with the unusual names and the double and triple crosses it often was a bore to read. I had picked it up at a "seconds" book store and now I know why. Not a book I'd recommend or read again and the best thing I can say is that it did get better the farther in one went but I almost gave up after the first couple of chapters.
Aliappolo
Jul 20, 2007 Aliappolo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the best
Shelves:
Salar is one of the unique writers & his imagination is just beyond the boundaries.
Richard Mulholland
Jul 04, 2010 Richard Mulholland rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Not bad
Jorge Larre
Jorge Larre rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Nem
Nem rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2015
Kasee Hall
Kasee Hall marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Emilie
Emilie is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2015
Shams
Shams marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
احمد السعود
احمد السعود marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Basombound
Basombound rated it liked it
May 17, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Sam Stubblefield
Sam Stubblefield rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Guy Buckles
Guy Buckles rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Sue
Sue added it
Dec 25, 2014
thomas
thomas marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Ctaylor
Ctaylor rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Ida
Ida marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Sujeesh NM
Sujeesh NM marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Curtis
Curtis rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2014
April
April rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Chris Keast
Chris Keast rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Nov 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Abdoh was born in Iran and spent two years of his early childhood in England. When Abdoh was fourteen his family was forced to flee Iran and arrived in the U.S. His father died shortly after the family’s arrival in the States, leaving his children homeless in Los Angeles. After traveling the country, Abdoh eventually earned an undergraduate degree from U.C. Berkeley and received a Master’s from Ci ...more
More about Salar Abdoh...