Start by marking “Havoc” as Want to Read:
Havoc

Havoc (Philip Mercer #7)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,125 ratings  ·  43 reviews
New Jersey, 1937: A homicidal madman bears a safe holding a terrible secret that is thought lost when fiery fate intervenes. Decades later, the discovery of that secret is about to threaten the world once more....
Mining engineer Philip Mercer is in the war-torn Central African Republic searching for precious metal. There, he meets Cali Stone, a field researcher for the C
Published September 4th 2007 by Onyx Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Havoc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Havoc

William
One of my favorite books of all time, an extremely perplexing story line that leaves everything a mystery until the end where the reveal all the facts. Without spoiling the book to much I can honestly say I learned a few things. The whole conspiracy theory about the oil industry and obtaining nuclear weapons was awesome to follow along with. It is also a good book for women representation because the man who could have been the main protagonist didn't help a lot and was the brain while the girl ...more
Kara Jorges
It’s hard for a book I looked forward to as much as this one to live up to my expectations, but it did a pretty good job. Phillip Mercer is back at last, rolling onto the scene in war-torn Africa, driving a truck full of refugees. This is where he meets Cali Stowe, purportedly from the Centers for Disease Control. Cali is looking for a village that has the highest rate of cancer in the world, hoping to learn valuable information before civil war wipes the village off the map. She and Mercer find ...more
Plamen Kolev
As a big fan od Cussler and the Oregon Series, I thought that de Brul and this book will be quite enjoyable too. It had all the right ingredients for an interesting book at first sight-likeable main characters, one of which a beautiful and independent woman, nice dose of humour, action, historical mystery, exotic locations....But I just couldn't bear all the bulshit about how strong, perfect and peaceful is America, while the always bad Russians and Arabs are ruining the peaceful and ideal world ...more
Tam B.
If you accept that Phillip Mercer is a combination of Bond and McGyver you'll enjoy these books.

Mercer (as he prefers) is a geologist. Having a hero geo' is a real kick for me as I'm married to one. And being so, I have a source to check details with. Needless to say Mercer's combination of professional skills is extremely rare and unlikely - but I like him all the same.

Mercer is the last white knight who needs to make the situation right whatever that may be. He has connections to the White Ho
Dale
A Review of the Unabridged Audiobook

Jack Du Brul's Havoc is a techno-thriller that races from the Hindenburg disaster to Africa to Washington, D.C to Atlantic City to Niagara Falls to Russia and back to Africa with hardly any time to take a breath.

The book features Philip Mercer, a geologist by training that often troubleshoots for the White House. This is the seventh book featuring Mercer, a fact that was not on the audiobook label. However, Du Brul does a great job of catching the reader up
Marion Marchetto
What could be more exciting that a modern day search by wanna-be terrorists for a stash of old world plutoniumm? Caught my interest.

Havoc starts off with a twist, causing the reader to question what history has taught us about the Hindenburg disaster. From there we are led on a chase through Africa, Atlantic City, Niagara Falls, Russia, Turkey and back to Africa again as Mercer, our rugged, fearless hero along with Cali Stowe the independent, educated, undercover government operative follow the
Christian Orr
I'd already read Jack DuBrul's collaborative efforts with Clive Cusller (from the Oregon Files) but this was the first solo novel of his that I read, and I enjoyed it very much. Philip Mercer is one cool cat (I like his taste in handguns, specifically the Beretta 92), as his banter with Harry White (and Harry's dog Drag) is a hoot, and is his flirtation with the lovely nuclear specialist Cali Stowe. Cool action sequences, exotic locales (it's not every day you see the Central African Republic us ...more
Mariano Flores
Aunque el tema es muy bueno (la idea de que Alejandro Magno pudo haber utilizado radiación para vencer a los ejércitos enemigos), y se pudo haber hecho una historia espectacular con él, el argumento parece sacado de las peores películas estadounidenses de los 80's. Una historia por demás tirada de los pelos, donde los protagonistas (norteamericanos) son buenos, inteligentes, finos y todo les sale bien (hasta los acompaña demasiado la suerte), y los enemigos (africanos, europeos del Este y árabes ...more
Jack
Apr 11, 2010 Jack rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you
I apologize for not reading this series in order that they were written, rather in the order by which the library gets them for me. This is Jack Du Brul's 7th novel in the Philip Mercer series. For those not familiar with Mercer, he is Du Brul's version of Dirk Pitt, a geologist rather than an oceanographer, they both seem to be Indiana Jonesish in that that take a hell of a beating yet continue on to accomplish that which they set out to do.
In this book Mercer finds a played out plutonium mine
Kristin Lundgren
It was a great story, one of his best. Rousing Mercer and Co. adventure, and people you really care about. He has a nice way of delineating his characters in swift strokes that bring out their essence, but don't create a complicated backstory. To get that, you have to read each book as it is dribbled out. Engaging heroine, and as I have said before, you learn so much about things you didn't know. This one is complex, with places all over the globe, and a mysterious thing that dates back to Alexa ...more
Sam
one star because of the ridiculous, redheaded chick. Less than 15 min in her presence and boom! Mercer goes head over heels for her....Serious talk- oh lets talk about her 'soft, seductive, plump lips'.
Bad, Mary Sue, Author's wet fantasy. Ruined the book for me, sorry. I had such nice memories of Pandora's Curse, and I expected more from this book.
One word:
Disappointment!
Rebecca
This book does follow the usual Clive Cussler historical mystery/modern adventure novel, but I didn't mind. The historical details were interesting and I really enjoyed the development of the story. I appreciate how the author brought in nuclear physics and incorporated history in a very unique way. I would recommend this to any Cussler fan, or anyone who likes their adventure novels mixed with a good dose of history.
Lea Locke
Loved this one! Mercer is probably one of my favorite series books. I'm a big fan of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt and the NUMA files books and am kinda shocked to say that I think I like Mercer a little bit better than Dirk or Kurt Austin. Du Brul weaves just the right amount of everything: history, technology, action, adventure, and romance into a phenomenally fast paced story. I am EXTREMELY sad that he has not picked back up with this character in quite awhile. Every few months I search the web ...more
Tate
This was my first Philip Mercer novel, and I really enjoyed it on a pure entertainment level. A great villain, some fun sidekicks for our hero, and a lot of exotic locations and terrific action fill out this book. Unfortunately, there are undercurrents of xenophobia and misogyny throughout the book, which left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. However, if you're looking for a good bit of old-fashioned, fun adventure escapism, you could do a lot worse. Just don't expect much ambition or heart.
Nate
Overall, I didn't care for this book. It seemed a little contrived at points, and I feel like he borrowed from Clive Cussler a bit too much. Also, in the afterword, if you think the need is there to show the comparisons to the Oddyssey, you either don't think very highly of your audience's ability to sort that out on their own, or you're a bit full of yourself. Likely both. Regardless, I don't think I'll be revisiting this author.
John
This is similar to a Clive Cussler novel, in fact he has co-written a few books with Clive Cussler. I have enjoyed those books better. The hero in this series is a geologist named Phillip Mercer. It was a fairly good book and had a decent intriguing plot line, but too many drawn out fight scenes. The ending also fell kind of flat. It isn't a book I would say "You really need to read this". But it was ok escapism.
Ann
Oct 23, 2008 Ann rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who really like action movies
I rolled my eyes a lot, but I kept turning pages. Pure cheese and not my usual thing, but I finished it. Here's one of my favorite sentences, where the President of the United States is talking on the telephone during a terrorist nuclear crisis: "The President made a rude masturbatory gesture with his hand as the Russian leader spoke for several minutes." Gotta love it.
Mom
Routine thrlller with the only interest that it starts with the Hindenburg disaster. Our 2 dimensional hero and his similar perky, gorgeous, brilliant sidekick chase bad guys--or are chased by bad guys--as they all try to get to some naturally enriched plutonium before bad things happen, and many get shot.
Gregory Saunders
This one was good, but maybe a bit too similar to his other novels. Great premise but some of the action is too abrupt. Mercer is a great character and the peripheral characters are well thought out and interesting. I loved using Eisenstein and Tesla and the correlation with Homer's Odyssey.
Jake
Audio Book. Great book. This book had it all, the soft spoken macho hero, he gets the girl, the bad guy is a tough eastern European commando, there are plans for dirty bombs to kill a lot of people, there is the wise cracking side kick, a secret socie
Amy
I thought this book was slow moving, difficult to follow at times, and unbelievable. It really doesn't measure up to other books from it's genre. Pick up something more interesting and read Steve Barry, Dan Brown, or James Rollins instead.
Sheryl
I made it half way through and had to stop. This is a man's book. It has tedious detail on each disaster, on espionage, on nuclear weapons. The information about the Hindenburg was interesting,although I dont' know if it was true.
Patti
This book grabbed my attention pretty much from the start. Some action/thriller novels are so weighted down with technical jargon that wading through them becomes a chore. Not so with this book. I found it an easy and enjoyable read.
Amy
This book rocks!! I was so it expecting how much I would like it! I am now a huge fan of the adventure genre and plan to read all the books in the Phillip Mercer series. It's like Indiana Jones for book lovers. ADORE!
Adam
The info dump early on almost lost me, but luckily Mercer and Harry showed up just in time to get the story moving.

I love this series and thoroughly enjoyed this one. Mercer continues to kick ass!
Ty
another fun Jack Du Brul... similar to the works of Cussler and Matthew Reilly, with many improbable escapes and plot lines tied to ancient mysteries and lots of action. a fun quick read.
Jillybean
4.5. A really good and compelling action/adventure novel. Most of it was a little "James Bondish" and improbable, but I liked it and the characters anyway. Will read more by this author.
Patty
Really liked this one. Had a hard time putting it down. Thought I would love to see it in movie form and then though no way since there would be too much violence to deal with.
Cathay
Interesting mix of adventure and mystery, with the puzzle of Alexander the Great's lost tomb and "secret weapon." I liked the interplay of myth and sensible explanations.
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
  • The Jungle (The Oregon Files, #8)
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • Dourado (Dane Maddock #1)
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • Crusader Gold (Jack Howard, #2)
  • This Green Hell (Alex Hunter, #3)
Jack DuBrul is a New York Times Best-Selling Author from Vermont who writes techno thrillers. Recently, he has been co-authoring "The Oregon Files" novels with Clive Cussler, taking over from Craig Dirgo with the third novel.
More about Jack Du Brul...

Philip Mercer (7 books)
  • Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1)
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3)
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Deep Fire Rising (Philip Mercer, #6)
Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1) Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4) The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3) River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5) Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)