Start by marking “The Beast of Blackslope” as Want to Read:
The Beast of Blackslope

The Beast of Blackslope (The Sherlock Files #2)

Xena and Xander have been looking forward to their vacation in the peaceful country village of Blackslope. But when a huge monster begins to terrorize the town, the young detectives are faced with a mystery that seems impossible to solve.
Sherlock Holmes, Xena and Xander's famous ancestor, investigated the case of a horrible beast in Blackslope, but that was nearly a hundr
Published March 15th 2011 by Square Fish (first published May 12th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Beast of Blackslope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast of Blackslope

Betsy
Feb 15, 2009 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aw. It's just a good old-fashioned kid detective yarn. Inoffensive and fun. An ample use of red herrings but with enough of a kick to keep things interesting.
Mara
This installment was certainly more exciting than its predecessor - a story involving scary creatures on midnight moors and family curses always is, compared to finding a long-lost painting. And Tracy Barrett manages to excite goosebumps on her Readers' arms when she describes the Beast's eerie howling. When characters venture out at night, the Reader automatically feels chilled and silently (or loudly, if you're like me) wills the character to return to the safety of the house! It reminded me o ...more
Heather
Oct 19, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Frankly, I felt like I was reading a Scooby-Doo story. (And this week's mysterious zombie/werewolf/ghost was really the local innkeeper/schoolteacher/tour guide - shocking, right?) A bit silly. And if Sherlock couldn't solve the mystery that the kids figure out suddenly in the last two pages then he was a really BAD detective. I think it has a good premise, but it all felt really flat. I was glad it was short.
Kristen R
This is the second in Sherlock files about Xena and Xander Holmes who have inherited Sherlock Holmes notebook of unsolved cases. This second one wasn't as good as the first. While I felt the solution to the modern day mystery was satisfying, the solution to the original Sherlock Holmes era mystery felt tacked on. However, I think that kids who are looking for mysteries will still enjoy it and will be eager to read the next one.
Tarissa
Aug 21, 2014 Tarissa rated it really liked it
A great mystery for the amateur detectives Xena and Xander Holmes, descendants of the Great Sleuth himself. A beast has returned after decades of an absence, and is bent on terrorizing the town of Blackslope at night. Armed with Sherlock Holmes' notebook of clues he had collected on the beast years ago, this brother and sister duo aim to find out the source of the terrifying creature.

It's a fun read, and I looking forward to checking out the other books in the series.
Renee
Oct 02, 2015 Renee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery book for young readers. Would be a fun one to read right around Halloween. Reference to Lord Of The Rings in parts is quite a fun little added touch. Enjoyable quick read.
Jani
Jan 29, 2017 Jani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So if you have a young kid around that likes mysteries this might be a great intro for a read aloud. Just enough clues that they could solve it on their own, just enough danger that it is a little scary (for a kid) and just enough humor to make an adult laugh. I enjoyed listening to it, but wonder if the print copy has some picture that would have made it even better.
Dolly
May 17, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
This is the second book in The Sherlock Files mystery series by Tracy Barrett. We listened to the first book narrated aloud and decided to read this book aloud together.

Overall, it was an exciting story, filled with intrigue, puzzles and danger. Xander's photographic memory reminds us of Cam Jansen and we loved listening to the dialogue as they logically thought out the mystery.

It was an engaging story, although I think we enjoyed listening to the first book more (perhaps it was the quality of
Liz
Dec 02, 2013 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Barrett has proven herself a great Sherlock Holmes fan and has taken up with her two kid detectives Xena and Xander Holmes, descendants of Sherlock Holmes. His Casebook once again comes in handy with all of its notes and drawing and helps them solve the current mystery of the Beast of Blackslope. While on a weeks break and staying at a bed and breakfast, Xena and Xander run into a mysterious howling that happens at odd times and it suddenly scares the townspeople into not talking abou ...more
M.
Aug 03, 2010 M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Xena and Xander, descendants of Sherlock Holmes and in possession of his notebook, work to solve his unsolved mysteries. In this book, a howling monster is scaring the town enough that no one is supposed to leave their homes after dark. Xena and Xander, with some pretty good detective work and some help from Sherlock's notebook, figure it all out. Lots of action and adventure all the way through. Late 3rd grade or 4th grade and up, although it would be a good read-aloud for slightly younger kids ...more
Darin
Great concept but I even have a hard time with thinking that Sherlock Holmes ever left anything unsolved that was then later solved by adolescent brother and sister.(that was what one of my kids stated as well). Nevertheless, my 11 and 9 year old asked if we could get some more of these books, so apparently they enjoyed this one enough to want to keep going. We listened to the audio book version of this one on a long car trip.
Dawn Oswald
Nov 01, 2013 Dawn Oswald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
I read this to my daughter who is a 5th grader and we really enjoyed it. Barrett keeps the reader interested by throwing little twists and turns throughout the plot. This is Barrett's second installment in this series about a sister and brother team of jr. detectives who solve some of the unsolved mysteries left by their relative, Sherlock Holmes. We are anxiously looking forward to reading the next Sherlock File.
Cathrine Bonham
Even though this is second one in the series I ended up reading it last. I thought that this book was the most like a Scooby-Doo plot line out of all of them. Also the solution to the Hundred year old "Sherlock" case was not a very good one and in fact didn't tie into the "Modern Day" case as well as the other three books did.

Though it might be more interesting to a member of its target audience.
Zoe
Nov 07, 2011 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The second book in a series that we're listening to in the car. Although I'm not engaged or inspired by these books (or their audiobook narrator), I do appreciate the simple plots, and down-to-earth, logical solutions to the mysteries. I think it helps the kids learn that even confusing or scary unknowns in their lives can have logical explanations.
Sarah Tilatitsky
It was ok, because it needs some excitement, for real. It is, basicly, garbage for people 11 years of older. It's not that exciting to me. I mean, it would be at age 8, but now, no thanks. It is boring. So, read this if you're like 11 or younger. Older people, you can read it, but you'll feel something like blah.
Kimberly
Jul 17, 2009 Kimberly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Interesting plot line of two children, Xena and Xander (yes, really.) who are descended from Sherlock Holmes and have inherited a notebook of his unsolved cases. They attempted to crack the cases with their skills.
The ending of this book was a bit rushed and not very conclusive as I could have liked, but it was still well written.
Azturpealean
Nov 02, 2010 Azturpealean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book where Xena and Xander are on spring break and they hear an awful howling and find out Sherlock was in Blackscope and they try to solve the case he never solved of the beast of blackscope. I love how the chapters are all cliffhangers! I couldn't put it down.
Christina
Call me crazy, but this one reminds me of a Scooby Doo mystery storyline. Still a great series for kids. If you listen to the audio, this one is done by John Nelson, who is more formal and awkward than David Pittu (did the first audio book in the series).
Elizabeth Qualia
This book reminded me of Scooby-Doo episodes. Plus I felt the actual "solving" of Sherlock Holmes' cold case was a bit of a cop-out. Reading the second in the series does make me want to pick up my copy of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and read the real thing.
April
Jul 13, 2015 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
A cute mystery for young kids and those young at heart. Xena and Xander are related to Sherlock Holmes and they have his unsolved case notebook. While on vacation they find themselves in Blackslope, the sight of one of the unsolved cases. The chase is on to discover the beast of Blackslope.
Charlyn
When Xena and Xander discover that their ancestor, Sherlock Holmes, had investigated a horrible beast in Blackslope, their vacation in a quiet village becomes spooky. It appears the monster has returned after a hundred years and the two young investigators want to find the truth.
Beverly
Jul 25, 2010 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-mystery
Two children take up a mystery that Sherlock Holmes was unable to solve and follow the clues to solve it.
Melissa
It was a fairly predictable mystery, and it had too much telling and not enough showing, but it held my interest enough to finish the book. That must mean something....
Diana
May 07, 2012 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Sherlock, and I enjoy a good mystery story.. but this one didn't impress me. I got this book as a gift from a friend and it was an easy read, but couldn't wait for it to be over.
Spenser Barranco
This reminded me too much of Scooby Doo in terms of plot.
The first book was far better out of the two
Kim Gontarz
Xena and Xander are decendents of Sherlock Holmes and have an old casebook of unsolved mysteries. The family goes to Blackslope on vacation but the children work to solve the mystery of the beast.
Michele
Not as good as the first one... they solve the current day mystery, but the solution to Holmes' cold case feels like an afterthought - and a rushed one at that.
Anne
Aug 01, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series and rate it 5 stars because it is geared towards older children, not adults, and I think I really would have loved it even more if I was around 10 years old or so.
Amanda
Jan 12, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series, though the mystery didn't necessarily get "solved" in the same way it did in the first book.
Amelia treacy
Amelia treacy rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
  • Becoming Holmes: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His Final Case (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Secret Cellar (The Red Blazer Girls, #4)
  • Two Crafty Criminals!: and how they were Captured by the Daring Detectives of the New Cut Gang
  • The Girl Who Heard Colors
  • Detective Blue
  • Shakespeare Stories
  • Akimbo and the Crocodile Man
  • March Mischief (Calendar Mysteries Series #3)
  • Pieces and Players (Chasing Vermeer, #4)
  • It Happened on a Train (Brixton Brothers, #3)
  • Binky: License to Scratch
  • Finding Fortune
  • The Monument
  • The Minstrel in the Tower
  • City of Wind
  • Jotham's Journey: A Storybook for Advent
I was born in 1955 in Cleveland, Ohio, and grew up mostly in New York state. I went to college in New England and graduate school in California.

The first book I ever read by myself was called Little Bobo and His Blue Jacket. I still have it. I learned to read when I was three, but I know now that this doesn't mean much. My brother didn't really read until he was seven, and now he reads more and re
More about Tracy Barrett...

The Sherlock Files (4 books)
  • The 100-Year-Old Secret (The Sherlock Files #1)
  • The Case That Time Forgot (The Sherlock Files #3)
  • The Missing Heir (The Sherlock Files #4)