Start by marking “Myth of the Machine : Technics and Human Development” as Want to Read:
Myth of the Machine : Technics and Human Development

Myth of the Machine : Technics and Human Development

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Mumford explains the forces that have shaped technology since prehistoric times and shaped the modern world. He shows how tools developed because of significant parallel inventions in ritual, language, and social organization. “It is a stimulating volume, informed both with an enormous range of knowledge and empathetic spirit” (Eliot Fremont-Smith, New York Times). Index;
Published September 29th 1971 by Harvest/HBJ Book (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Myth of the Machine , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myth of the Machine

Design Basics Index by Jim KrauseThe Zen of CSS Design by Dave SheaThe Elements of Typographic Style by Robert BringhurstD.I.Y. by Ellen LuptonTranscending CSS by Andy Clarke
Best Design Books
72nd out of 78 books — 51 voters
Ishmael by Daniel QuinnEndgame, Vol. 1 by Derrick JensenThe Story of B by Daniel QuinnSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutWild Land by Kathryn Hogan
Critiques of civilization
24th out of 28 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

metralindol
книга, яка лишає змішані відчуття, хоч і переважно приємні. можливо, вартувало читати її паралельно з іншими дослідженнями і не розтягувати процес у часі. тим не менше, дочитати вдалося, чотири зірочки поставлено, але в надії прочитати "Міф машини" колись іще раз, із конспектуванням.
масштабність розмаху книги співставна із задумом Джареда Даймонда у "Зброї, мікробах та сталі", коли не більша. Правда, Люїс Мамфорд менш акцентує на цифрах і всьому, що потребує чіткості й тривкості статистики. Одна
Neil
This book makes more sense in the context of the intellectual environment to which Mumford was responding in the early to mid 20th century. Many prominent thinkers (including Mumford himself in the 1930s) were primarily concerned with explaining the development of humanity ("the rise of man", as they said in the pre-feminist era) principally in terms of tool use. Humanity's distinguishing feature, that which separated humans from the "lower" animals, was this adaptability in tool use.

Against thi
Dylan
After one false start three or four years ago, I picked this up again early last year. I'll admit, it was pretty rough going for me, but that's largely because the first half of the book doesn't concern the "megamachine"--my main interest in Mumford's thought. His roundabout phrasing structure also makes for reading that sometimes feels something like a maze and can be difficult to settle into. There were still enough significant insights to justify reading it. Some standouts below.

Mumford on th
Leon M
In the "Myth of the Machine", Lewis Mumford depicts his version of human development from a hunter-gatherer society to our present, technology focused society.

The first interesting idea mentioned is the thought that language and rituals were far more important to human development than tool-making, which only followed when the cultural context allowed for it. Mumford discusses in depth the influence of dreams on early human development and comes to the conclusion that language worked as a tool t
Dave
Mumford was definitely ahead of his time. This is too dated for me to say I'd actually recommend it at this point though.
Bryan Kibbe
I continue to enjoy reading Lewis Mumford. He is both a versatile and expansive thinker, and his writing is often punctuated by interesting images and comparisons. The Myth of the Machine is part 1 of a 2 volume series, and it represents a different tone then his earlier work, Technics and Civilization. Nonetheless, I found Mumford's concept and account of the megamachine to be thought provoking and I look forward to reading the second volume (The Pentagon of Power).
Carl Stevens
The themes stretching back over millennia are still powerful even if an occasional contemporary reference is 45 years out of date. I read this as background for a novel I am writing about a character who will "remember" the ancient history Mumford elucidates so well.
Nathalie
'I have taken life itself to be the primary phenomenon, and creativity, rather than the `conquest of nature,’ as the ultimate criterion of man’s biological and cultural success.' (Myth of the Machine, xi)
Mel
Jun 13, 2014 Mel marked it as to-read
Shelves: library
I just don't have the energy to read this right now. I can tell from the first chapter that it will be interesting, though. Setting it aside until I have the brainspace to properly process it.
DryTung
The Myth of the Machine addresses our relationship with technology. I found Mumford's consideration of dance and dreams as catalysts to human evolution refreshing.
Patrick\
A bit of an over-reach from his usual solid perspective. Sort of like C. S. Lewis when he strays into minutiae from the one big picture he knows so well.
Owen
An analysis well ahead of its time. Chapters 9 and 10 are particularly important.
tim hampton
tim hampton marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Roopakm
Roopakm marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Sam Chamelin
Sam Chamelin marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Chris Dymond
Chris Dymond marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Júlia Surányi
Júlia Surányi marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Fredrik Lunde
Fredrik Lunde marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Brando Barrios robles
Brando Barrios robles marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Steven Casteel
Steven Casteel marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
EE H
EE H marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • The Technological Society
  • Against His-Story, Against Leviathan!
  • No Sense of Place: The Electronic Media on Social Behavior
  • Rebels Against The Future: The Luddites And Their War On The Industrial Revolution: Lessons For The Computer Age
  • Against Civilization: Readings and Reflections
  • The Machine in the Garden: Technology and the Pastoral Ideal in America
  • Nature's Economy: A History of Ecological Ideas
  • The Printing Press as an Agent of Change
  • Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change
  • In the Absence of the Sacred
  • Book Was There: Reading in Electronic Times
  • MP3: The Meaning of a Format (Sign, Storage, Transmission)
  • From Counterculture to Cyberculture: Stewart Brand, the Whole Earth Network, and the Rise of Digital Utopianism
  • Civilizations: Culture, Ambition, and the Transformation of Nature
  • Strangely Like War: The Global Assault on Forests
  • The Ecology of Freedom: The Emergence and Dissolution of Hierarchy
  • My Name is Chellis and I'm in Recovery from Western Civilization
  • Hubbub: Filth, Noise, and Stench in England, 1600-1770
Lewis Mumford (October 19, 1895 – January 26, 1990) was an American historian and philosopher of technology and science. Particularly noted for his study of cities and urban architecture, he had a tremendously broad career as a writer that also included a period as an influential literary critic. Mumford was influenced by the work of Scottish theorist Sir Patrick Geddes.
More about Lewis Mumford...
The City in History: Its Origins, Its Transformations, and Its Prospects Technics & Civilization The Pentagon of Power (The Myth of the Machine, Vol 2) The Story of Utopias The Culture of Cities (Book 2)