Battletech - Wolves on the Border

Battletech - Wolves on the Border (BattleTech Universe #8)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Minobu Tetsuhara, a warrior-servant of the devious Warlord Grieg Samsonov, is forced to betray his former colleague, Jaime Wolf, and Wolf's mercenary Dragoons, after the mercenaries refuse to renew their contract with Samsonov and the warlord orders their deaths.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1988)

H.L. Reasby
Absolutely amazing! The characters are really complex and wonderfully written. I can't recommend this book highly enough!
Brian Turner
Covering the period when Wolfs Dragoons were hired out to the Draconis Combine (3021 to 3028), it shows how a Kuritan warrior, Minobu Tetsuhara gets to know and befriend them, while still staying loyal to his Samurai code.

Lots of internal factions within the Kuritans, especially from the Warlord of the system and his aide who have a grudge against Tetsuhara.

Plenty of mech action, set against loyalty and duty to ones friends and rulers.

Eric Lawson
Wolves on the Border appears at first look to be the story of the Wolf's Dragoons contract with the Draconis Combine. But it really is the story of Minobu Tetsuhara and his struggle between Ninjō and Giri. In Minobu's case the conflict is between his honour and the friendship he has with Jaime Wolf, and his duty to Takashi Kurita as an officer in the military.

The story slowly ramps up the tension to the ultimate climax. A few spelling mistakes in the printing near the end of the story caused an...more
Joseph Thai
This book stands above all other Battletech novels (I know, that's not saying much). Still, it's pretty enjoyable and you don't need to know anything about the universe or the meta-plot to read it. The characters are interesting and the battles don't read like a transcript from a Battletech game. This is the only Battletech novel I would recommend to someone who isn't already a Battletech fan. If the idea of a Black space-samurai piloting a 10-meter tall walking tank sounds awesome to you, you w...more
J.A.
I got this book at the FIL (Guadalajara book fair) whithout really knowing anything about BattleTech; they had 2 more books (Spanish translations of the Warrior trilogy; so 1 book missing). I just loved them; regardless that at the time were the most expensive books I had bought.
Todd A
It had places that lost my attention. I put it down for a few months, went back to finish the last 1/4 of the book and really enjoyed it.

I want to see if Michi seeks his revenge.
George
I reread this book again after several years. Good introduction to the Dragoons and a great narrative on the epic battle of Misery.
Tom
Tom added it
Jun 17, 2014
Brad
Brad added it
May 15, 2014
Ariano
Ariano marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
  • Lethal Heritage (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, #1)
  • Price of Glory (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #3)
  • Exodus Road (Twilight of the Clans, #1)
  • Bloodname (Legend of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy, #2)
  • The Guns of Tanith
  • Pathways
  • Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
Credited on some German editions as "Robert N. Charette".
More about Robert N. Charrette...
Never Deal with a Dragon (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #1) Choose Your Enemies Carefully (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #2) Find Your Own Truth (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #3) Never Trust an Elf (Shadowrun, #6) Wolf Pack