Start by marking “Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say "No" to Drugs” as Want to Read:
Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say "No" to Drugs

Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say "No" to Drugs (Latawnya #1)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Hardcover
Published May 1st 1990 by Vantage Press

Be the first to ask a question about Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say "No" to Drugs

mark monday
Sep 26, 2012 mark monday marked it as unread-forever
Latawnya the horse woke up one fine spring morning, ready to eat and then ready to roll. She loved to gallop hither and thither. This was how she spent most of her days, eating and galloping and cavorting with her best friends, Betty Blue and Sir Cedric Fairyweather. She remembered that once it used to be different. The little human boy who lived next door liked to ride Latawnya, he used to feed her treats and stroke her mane... he used to be her best friend. All that changed with the arrival of ...more
Kristen
I can honestly say that this is the best book about horses abusing drugs I have ever read.
Blake
Jan 09, 2010 Blake rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: wtf
As I told a friend, the pacing is a bit lacklustre and the moral is quite laboured, but nonetheless a good exposition of the dangers faced by horses in relation to drugs.

I mean: what???
Erin
Jun 26, 2007 Erin added it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I laughed so hard I spilled my wine...
James Morey
I've never written a review on Goodreads before, but this time it—it just feels "right." After all, I have fingers. Fingers are things that are common to humans, but not to horses. With fingers, one can roll various drugs in papers, or perhaps pack them in to pipes, and then proceed to smoke the drugs.

What gives this short book (I might even say "pamphlet," but that sounds a bit demeaning, somehow) its intense emotional impact is the realization that, yes, Latawnya and the fillies that influence
Kelly
May 26, 2007 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: for horses who crave horse
I learned that horses should just say no to alcohol and "smoking drugs". This is a cautionary tale of the risky behavior amongst horses. The illustrations are stupendous and the tale is heart wrenching. I have added this review found on Amazon because, well, I couldn't say it any better.

"This is the tale of three African American horses (Latawnya, Latoya and Daisy), who leave the stable and get drugs from four white horses (Connie, Chrystal, Jackie and Angie). It is a timely and poignant tale th
W.C.
Sep 26, 2008 W.C. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone with a developed sense of irony
Recommended to W.C. by: the internet
Many say this book has gained favor of late because it is "unintentionally hilarious". If unintentional hilarity were a sport, this book would be Michael friggin' Phelps. The illustrations will haunt your dreams, and the mirth this book provides is worth any kind of expense getting a hold of it... that being said, it is possible to hook up with some scans at http://badgas.co.uk/latawnya/, at least for now. Do not hesitate.
Peacegal
Reefer Madness meets My Friend Flicka!

In this scintillating masterpiece, the author drinks a shooter of Southern Comfort and smokes a fat joint and gets out the “How to Draw Horses” book she borrowed from the Juvenile nonfiction section of her library. The result is LATAWNYA, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say “NO” to Drugs.

Readers will thrill as a group of horses with stereotypically African-American names are duped into drinking and “smoking drugs” by a group of horses with stereotypically Cauc
Stephen
I wonder why the book places such emphasis on "smoking DRUGS and drinking" as opposed to just "smoking and drinking?" Is it because the author wishes to distinguish between cigarette smoking, which she apparently thinks is harmless, and crack smoking? Given that the book is clearly autobiographical (the mother's name is Sylvia Horse and the father is James Horse; the author's name is Sylvia, and her husband is James), I wonder if Sylvia sought to distinguish between her own excusable Newports an ...more
Jamie Long
Because I enjoy some hilariously insane children's literature every now and then, I am truly glad I stumbled across Latawnya the Naughty Horse. While it may be a little on the nose with its message, I am glad that children will now know that it's a really bad idea for horses to smoke drugs and drink. The next time I see a five year old smack the alcohol out of a horse's hoof, I will smile. A lot.
Ben
The pictures of the drinking horse holding the bottle in its mouth and the OD-ing, "drug smoking" horse are truly, truly sui generis. Smoking drugs and drinking is harmful to the body.
Rebecca
Self published. Horses that smoke and drink. Need I say more?
Kate
This book is one of the 10 best things to ever happen to me.
Cydni Perkins
I wasn't sure if I should give this book one star, for being really awful, or five stars, for being brilliantly, insanely, hilariously terrible and for giving me a reason to smirk snarkily. My favorite part is where Latawnya's sister slaps the drugs and alcohol out of her hoof. Luckily, the book is short enough to enjoy the unintentional awesomeness before it starts to grate too much. For a very silly lecture on the dangers of drugs and alcohol, read this book.
Heather
Jan 21, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a good appreciation of "wrong" arts & literature.
Recommended to Heather by: Deborah Stevenson, I think
Shelves: kidlit
Worst book ever, in so many ways. Genius.

At least for now, it can be viewed in its full glory at pixie stix kids pix.

The reviews on amazon.com are fantastic.
Millenia

LATAWNYA, THE NAUGHTY HORSE, LEARNS TO SAY "NO" TO DRUGS (phew, that took a while to type out) is so preachy, absurd, and awfully written, it's HILARIOUS. Here is the entire book, for those interested.

(view spoiler)

or you can find a dramatic reading here or here.

(Taken from various sources)
Amelia
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Ha. Ha. Seriously, maybe the most unintentionally funny book I have ever read.

Check it out on youtube people. It's priceless.
Ashley
If you're not sure whether or not the message really sunk in. . . be sure to take the quiz in the back!
Omfg. Definitely the worst book I have ever read. Which is totally why it deserves five stars... it is five star amazing how terrible this book is. I love it.
Edwina
This book changed my life. I'm glad Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, learned to say "no" to drugs, smoking and drinking. One of these days, I'll learn from her example.
Steven
Jun 22, 2007 Steven rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I laughed. I cried. But mainly I laughed.
Jocelyn
this is really priceless
Amanda
Thank you to Sara from Going Jesus (I think it was her) for first directing me to the amazingness that is Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say "No" to Drugs. While the writing is execrable and the drawings are not up to much, the whole geschtalt of this morality tale is pure genius. You learn why good little horses stay away from crack, crank and heroin ("horse", get it, get it?) and why a naughty horse who flirts with blow or weed will find herself ridden up the garden path.
It is possible
Sara
This is one of the funniest books I ever read...for all the wrong reasons. "Gee, we need to make sure kids never smoke or do drugs. Let's use horses! And clumsy grammar and spelling! And forget that hooves don't work like human fingers!" Seriously, "smoking drugs"? The whole thing is pure narm. XD
Elena
No... just... no.

Do not read this book. It is awful.

I get the message, that drugs are bad. But the way it is presented is just plain stupid. I mean, really. The author just had to use non-anthropomorphic horses. Just because you use horses doesn't mean it's going to instantly attract the audience's attention.

Besides that whole thing, the sentences in this book are redundant. If I had a dollar for every time the book says "smoking", "drinking", "drugs", or the phase "smoking drugs and drinking",
Mic
This is an amazing book. The amazing thing is that something so appalling could get published. That the author has had eight kids pretty much says it all.

Hard to get ahold of, but the scans are around, so make sure you read them. Racial stereotyping through names, it's brilliant. I would like to thank the author for not only the brilliant writing, but also the stunning illustrations. "Thank you, author."

Merged review:

I think the word "extraordinary" can safely be used here.
Chris
This is a great book that teaches young horses to say no to drugs. They will fall over like the other horse as in one of the illustrations. Horses shouldn't drink whiskey, and you can see the ill effects of this type of naughty behavior in this book. The look of the horse in shock because of the drugs and the horses drinking whiskey is both terrifying and priceless. If I ever find a horse, I will keep him away from these terrible vices.
Colby
Apr 04, 2012 Colby rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone in need of a good laugh
I can't give this one stars, because it was the funniest thing I've read in a really, really long time.
Oh, my. Too bad I didn't have this book when I was a kid. If I had talking horses that inexplicably did human drugs and drank to explain to me whey drugs are bad instead of, like, my parents? I would have been much better off.
If you want to read this, there are some dramatic readings on YT that rock. Just saying.
Guy
Dustin
I read this book based on all the glowing reviews. I wish I knew then what I know now: "'Mother and Father horse told us to use our own minds... you shouldn't do things you see others doing"'. If I had only known, I could have saved myself 15 minutes.
Benjamin David
This book is a bizarre descent into a crazed mind. It is so badly written and the concept is so bizarre it circles around horrible into awe inspiring awful. It is a must read to understand the depths the human mind can plumb.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Latawnya the Naughty Horse Two Learning Is Fun Ricky the Skating Worm and Friends The Merry-Go-Round of Love Wee Wee, the Big Purple Duck