Start by marking “Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say "No" to Drugs” as Want to Read:
Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say "No" to Drugs

Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say "No" to Drugs (Latawnya #1)

Hardcover
Published May 1st 1990 by Vantage Press

Be the first to ask a question about Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say "No" to Drugs

mark monday
Oct 20, 2010 mark monday marked it as unread-forever
Latawnya the horse woke up one fine spring morning, ready to eat and then ready to roll. She loved to gallop hither and thither. This was how she spent most of her days, eating and galloping and cavorting with her best friends, Betty Blue and Sir Cedric Fairyweather. She remembered that once it used to be different. The little human boy who lived next door liked to ride Latawnya, he used to feed her treats and stroke her mane... he used to be her best friend. All that changed with the arrival of ...more
Kristen
I can honestly say that this is the best book about horses abusing drugs I have ever read.
Blake
Jan 09, 2010 Blake rated it did not like it
Shelves: wtf
As I told a friend, the pacing is a bit lacklustre and the moral is quite laboured, but nonetheless a good exposition of the dangers faced by horses in relation to drugs.

I mean: what???
Erin
Jun 26, 2007 Erin added it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I laughed so hard I spilled my wine...
Peacegal
Sep 02, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
Reefer Madness meets My Friend Flicka!

In this scintillating masterpiece, the author drinks a shooter of Southern Comfort and smokes a fat joint and gets out the “How to Draw Horses” book she borrowed from the Juvenile nonfiction section of her library. The result is LATAWNYA, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say “NO” to Drugs.

Readers will thrill as a group of horses with stereotypically African-American names are duped into drinking and “smoking drugs” by a group of horses with stereotypically Cauc
Kelly
May 26, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: for horses who crave horse
I learned that horses should just say no to alcohol and "smoking drugs". This is a cautionary tale of the risky behavior amongst horses. The illustrations are stupendous and the tale is heart wrenching. I have added this review found on Amazon because, well, I couldn't say it any better.

"This is the tale of three African American horses (Latawnya, Latoya and Daisy), who leave the stable and get drugs from four white horses (Connie, Chrystal, Jackie and Angie). It is a timely and poignant tale th
W.C.
Sep 26, 2008 W.C. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone with a developed sense of irony
Recommended to W.C. by: the internet
Many say this book has gained favor of late because it is "unintentionally hilarious". If unintentional hilarity were a sport, this book would be Michael friggin' Phelps. The illustrations will haunt your dreams, and the mirth this book provides is worth any kind of expense getting a hold of it... that being said, it is possible to hook up with some scans at http://badgas.co.uk/latawnya/, at least for now. Do not hesitate.
Stephen
Feb 15, 2011 Stephen rated it did not like it
I wonder why the book places such emphasis on "smoking DRUGS and drinking" as opposed to just "smoking and drinking?" Is it because the author wishes to distinguish between cigarette smoking, which she apparently thinks is harmless, and crack smoking? Given that the book is clearly autobiographical (the mother's name is Sylvia Horse and the father is James Horse; the author's name is Sylvia, and her husband is James), I wonder if Sylvia sought to distinguish between her own excusable Newports an ...more
Sparks Lowry
Aug 05, 2015 Sparks Lowry rated it it was amazing
A must-read for every young horse. Latawnya's troubles with drinking alcohols and smoking drugs may seem silly at first, but neighsayers will find themselves overwhelmed with unbridled pathos, crying until their voices are horse. A true thoroughbred literary classic, upon which everyone should be saddled.
Jamie Long
Because I enjoy some hilariously insane children's literature every now and then, I am truly glad I stumbled across Latawnya the Naughty Horse. While it may be a little on the nose with its message, I am glad that children will now know that it's a really bad idea for horses to smoke drugs and drink. The next time I see a five year old smack the alcohol out of a horse's hoof, I will smile. A lot.
Heather
Jan 21, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a good appreciation of "wrong" arts & literature.
Recommended to Heather by: Deborah Stevenson, I think
Shelves: kidlit
Worst book ever, in so many ways. Genius.

At least for now, it can be viewed in its full glory at pixie stix kids pix.

The reviews on amazon.com are fantastic.
Ben
Jun 27, 2007 Ben rated it it was amazing
The pictures of the drinking horse holding the bottle in its mouth and the OD-ing, "drug smoking" horse are truly, truly sui generis. Smoking drugs and drinking is harmful to the body.
Rebecca
Feb 05, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Self published. Horses that smoke and drink. Need I say more?
Kate
Jun 09, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the 10 best things to ever happen to me.
Millenia
Jul 27, 2014 Millenia rated it liked it

LATAWNYA, THE NAUGHTY HORSE, LEARNS TO SAY "NO" TO DRUGS (phew, that took a while to type out) is so preachy, absurd, and awfully written, it's HILARIOUS. Here is the entire book, for those interested.

(view spoiler)

or you can find a dramatic reading here or here.

(Taken from various sources)
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This was... uh... really, just... what?

ETA: This counts as "A book recommended by a Librarian" (Thanks, Sarah!) for my 2017 Reading Challenge.
Chris
Apr 14, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that teaches young horses to say no to drugs. They will fall over like the other horse as in one of the illustrations. Horses shouldn't drink whiskey, and you can see the ill effects of this type of naughty behavior in this book. The look of the horse in shock because of the drugs and the horses drinking whiskey is both terrifying and priceless. If I ever find a horse, I will keep him away from these terrible vices.
Cydni Perkins
Feb 10, 2013 Cydni Perkins rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure if I should give this book one star, for being really awful, or five stars, for being brilliantly, insanely, hilariously terrible and for giving me a reason to smirk snarkily. My favorite part is where Latawnya's sister slaps the drugs and alcohol out of her hoof. Luckily, the book is short enough to enjoy the unintentional awesomeness before it starts to grate too much. For a very silly lecture on the dangers of drugs and alcohol, read this book.
Amelia
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Ha. Ha. Seriously, maybe the most unintentionally funny book I have ever read.

Check it out on youtube people. It's priceless.
Ashley
Sep 01, 2010 Ashley rated it it was amazing
If you're not sure whether or not the message really sunk in. . . be sure to take the quiz in the back!
Omfg. Definitely the worst book I have ever read. Which is totally why it deserves five stars... it is five star amazing how terrible this book is. I love it.
Edwina
Sep 25, 2008 Edwina rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. I'm glad Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, learned to say "no" to drugs, smoking and drinking. One of these days, I'll learn from her example.
Steven
Jun 22, 2007 Steven rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I laughed. I cried. But mainly I laughed.
Jocelyn
Jan 11, 2013 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing
this is really priceless
Erik
Jul 09, 2016 Erik rated it it was ok
Shelves: bad-books
Definitely firmly within the so-bad-it's-good camp.

This book is so ridiculous, you'd swear it was a parody of anti-drug books. It contains pictures of realistic horses doing pot and getting drunk. Latawnya, the main character, always has "the naughty horse" suffixed to her name. We get it, she's a naughty horse, you don't have to drill it into our heads every five seconds! The writing is completely inane, and the book is too laughable for the anti-drug message to be taken seriously.

Yet another l
Amanda
Sep 25, 2008 Amanda rated it did not like it
Thank you to Sara from Going Jesus (I think it was her) for first directing me to the amazingness that is Latawnya, the Naughty Horse, Learns to Say "No" to Drugs. While the writing is execrable and the drawings are not up to much, the whole geschtalt of this morality tale is pure genius. You learn why good little horses stay away from crack, crank and heroin ("horse", get it, get it?) and why a naughty horse who flirts with blow or weed will find herself ridden up the garden path.
It is possible
Elena
Nov 07, 2013 Elena rated it did not like it
Shelves: do-not-read
No... just... no.

Do not read this book. It is awful.

I get the message, that drugs are bad. But the way it is presented is just plain stupid. I mean, really. The author just had to use non-anthropomorphic horses. Just because you use horses doesn't mean it's going to instantly attract the audience's attention.

Besides that whole thing, the sentences in this book are redundant. If I had a dollar for every time the book says "smoking", "drinking", "drugs", or the phase "smoking drugs and drinking",
Daniel Lentz
May 31, 2015 Daniel Lentz rated it it was amazing
I have never read such a brilliant collection of words that have told such a poignant story. It is about Latawnya, a brave African horse who learns to say no to the white horses that attempt to push drugs on her. I probably jumped out of my seat from fear when Latawnya heard that scary noise. If you own an African American horse, I recommend you show them this book. BE WARNED WHEN READING THIS BOOK HAVE TISSUES ON HAND AT ALL TIMES. THE FEELS MAY GET OUT OF HAND.
Mic
Feb 22, 2010 Mic rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. The amazing thing is that something so appalling could get published. That the author has had eight kids pretty much says it all.

Hard to get ahold of, but the scans are around, so make sure you read them. Racial stereotyping through names, it's brilliant. I would like to thank the author for not only the brilliant writing, but also the stunning illustrations. "Thank you, author."

Merged review:

I think the word "extraordinary" can safely be used here.
Colby
Apr 04, 2012 Colby rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anyone in need of a good laugh
I can't give this one stars, because it was the funniest thing I've read in a really, really long time.
Oh, my. Too bad I didn't have this book when I was a kid. If I had talking horses that inexplicably did human drugs and drank to explain to me whey drugs are bad instead of, like, my parents? I would have been much better off.
If you want to read this, there are some dramatic readings on YT that rock. Just saying.
Adam Fisher
Jan 30, 2017 Adam Fisher rated it it was ok
WOW... just wow.... I guess anyone can get published.
What was probably an effort by the author to communicate the problems with drugs and alcohol usage, came off as very poorly written, badly illustrated, horribly hilarious nonsense.
Only read this if you want a very hard laugh at how bad it is.
« previous 1 3 4 next »