Start by marking “Hoyle's Rules of Games” as Want to Read:
Hoyle's Rules of Games

Hoyle's Rules of Games

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In 1742, Edmond Hoyle published the definitive book on the popular game of his day, whist. Games evolve with time, just as whist gave rise to contract bridge. However, more than 250 years later, Hoyle's is still the definitive name when it comes to the rules of the game--whether it's bridge, backgammon, Scrabble(R) or Blackjack. The game player's basic reference, this hand ...more
Published December 1st 2001 by Signet Book (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Hoyle's Rules of Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hoyle's Rules of Games

Greg
It is what it says it is on the cover, it's laid out the way you think it ought be, it has a table of contents that is, again, exactly what it ought be, understated illustrations, condensed histories of each game at the beginning of its description/example . . .
It is what you think it is, and that is why it is wonderful. It has a sincerity and authority that I still can't understand why contemporary instructional books react so cynically against, ("for dummies," "This isn't your average how-to
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 14, 2013 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is the reference books on games, both card and board games: Scrabble, Poker, Bridge, Gin Rummy, Hearts, Solitaire, Dice Games, Dominoes, Roulette, Chess, Checkers, Backgammon, Cribbage, Parlor Games such as Charades--even Children's games such as Fish, Old Maid and War are here. Along with the rules there are even tips on strategy. One of those really useful reference books.
Auralia
Ok, I didn't read the entire book word for word because let's face it that would have taken a long time. But the rules to the games that I did read were really interesting. It actually gave rules and where the games came from, and I found it to be really interesting.
Kidsbookworm
Both DH and I grew up with Hoyle in our house. It's a must own! We actually have 2 copies here - so we don't rush the other person who must also look at the rules. We do love playing all kinds of games and Hoyles is the definitive reference.
Alex
I will continue to return to this book whenever I find myself with a deck of cards and lots of spare time. Well-organized and very concise with regards to rules. Who would have known that so many rules could be so much fun?
Chris
Although the information was a bit redundant to read from cover to cover, when I finished this book today, the information provided was good enough for me to understand the forgotten rules of some games from years past.
Velvetink
Jul 12, 2010 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Been playing cards and games for a while now..lol. Really need to learn some of the proper rules.
Gayle
Saying I have read this is a bit of a lie. More like dip into it if and when I need to!
Jenn
Play According to Hoyle: Hoyle's Rules of Games by Albert H. Morehead (2002)
Linda T
Essential for resolving arguments! Excellent for teaching new games.
Jeff La Marca
reference,non-fiction,cards,games
Don Gubler
Great resource for the rules of games.
BakuDreamer
Just remembered I read this one time
Hani Musallam
Hani Musallam marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Dec 01, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Peter
Peter is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2014
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • The New Natural Cat: A Complete Guide for Finicky Owners
  • A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations
  • The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary
  • Upgrading and Repairing PCs (17th Edition)
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • Imponderables: The Solution to the Mysteries of Everyday Life
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
  • Cassell's Latin Dictionary: Latin-English, English-Latin
  • Universal Traveler
  • The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, 2 Vols w/Reading Glass
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • Study Bible KJV - Scofield Reference Bible
  • The Way of the Moving Horse (Learn to Play Go, #2)
  • Guinness World Records 2001
  • New Fix-It-Yourself Manual
  • Skywatching
  • Brush Up Your Shakespeare!
The Complete Book of Solitaire and Patience Games The New Complete Hoyle The New American Webster Handy College Dictionary Official Rules of Card Games Hoyle Up-to-Date