Start by marking “Change of Heart: What Psychology Can Teach Us about Spreading Social Change” as Want to Read:
Change of Heart: What Psychology Can Teach Us about Spreading Social Change

Change of Heart: What Psychology Can Teach Us about Spreading Social Change

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The Malcolm Gladwell of progressive social change takes a look at what today's organizers are missing, and what they can learn from psychology.
Published December 1st 2010 by Lantern Books (first published September 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Change of Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change of Heart

Veronica Noechel
Very interesting book and well worth reading, however, I found a number of the suggestions skeezy at best, downright unethical at worst. Looking up local people on Facebook and choosing who to develop a friendship with in real life based upon who has the most friends so you can effect more people through that person seems duplicitous and manipulative. Using people is not a good way to enact change, even if it works. Just because something is effective doesn't necessiarily mean it's something one ...more
Erik Marcus
this review reprinted from Vegan.com

It’s easy to do animal advocacy that will save large numbers of animals from harm; easier still if you get a little reading under your belt.

Nick Cooney’s new book, Change of Heart: What Psychology Can Teach Us About Spreading Social Change, is the most impressive book on animal advocacy tactics I’ve yet encountered. But it’s not the first book on the subject I’d read. Consider Cooney’s book a graduate level course, one that has a few prerequisites.

I’d start

Ira Therebel
An absolutely amazing book.

It connects psychology and activism by bringing various researches that show how people are more likely to respond to change and what is the best way to achieve it. It answers different questions like "Why are about 95% against factory farming and yet the great majority of them does nothing?", talks about the influence of social norms, benefits of social networking and brings up many different techniques that can be used by activists.

A great thing this book talks abou
Jeffrey Cohan
“Change of Heart” is easily among the Top 3 books on advocacy that I have ever read.

Author Nick Cooney, who is a skilled and experienced advocate himself, presents a broad array of psychological research in this book and explains the implications for advocacy work. He has performed a real service by compiling so much research and presenting it in digestible form for the social-change community.

Admittedly, the more you learn about psychology, the more you despair of the human condition.

And peopl
Andrea
I think this book is amazing just because it finally brings some practicality to activism. It presents itself essentially as a meta-study of relevant activist assumptions and techniques. It really will change at least some aspect of how you approach changing people's minds.

Fortunately, it seems that many of these methods are now being employed, but often they are not. I hope everyone trying to affect positive change in the world reads this book.
Audrey
A very useful book for anyone trying to create social change either on a global or local scale.
Sarah Clement
I will say first of all that this is a book that needed to be written. I've spent many years feeling rather frustrated that activists don't generally use the vast amount of information on behaviour change to inform their work, or even recognise that the act of behaviour change is at the heart of most of their work. That said, I think this book could have been better executed and having a) a good editor and b) an expert reviewer could have helped this book enormously.

This book is a good crash co
Cam
a book that advocates for a research based approach to activism. AAA++++++ would read again
Nick Cooney
Apr 07, 2015 Nick Cooney rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it so of course I have to give it five stars :)
Penny
Vegan Book Club 2nd selection
This book explores what makes people change. I didn't realize there was so much thought and money that went into research by activists in order to promote their ideas. Behavioral changes involve much more from people than traditional advertising for material goods purchasing. This book gives lots of advice on how activists can be more effective in promoting social change. Of course getting laws passed is the fastest way to get changes made.
Blakely
I found this book difficult to rate... Unfortunately the author and I seem to have read a lot of the same books. I was familiar with about 70% of the research Cooney mentioned in his book.

That being said, I think for the vast majority of activists this will be an extremely helpful book and an enjoyable and thought-provoking read. I did enjoy the parts of the book with ideas and information that were new to me.
Macandamanda Mcgee
loved it. helped me to see that I'm not alone in wanting a change.
Marsha
It’s essential for advocates to understand why people make the choices they do, what influences them, and what kinds of strategies can inspire positive change. This book distills decades of research to help changemakers become more effective, and offers specific ideas for how to implement the research in their activism.
Matt
There's some valuable information in this book, but it's buried in some pretty dry writing.

Update 5/11/2015: It's been almost four years since I wrote this review, and I can't even count the number of times I've gone back to this book for advice. I've changed my rating from three to four stars.
Valerie
I'm only at Chapter Two and I LOVE this book! It combines my studies in Community Organizing and Advocacy with my love of animals. Nick's radically different way of approaching activism is enlightening!
Gregory
If you are involved in any sort of activism or are interested in social change, this book is a must read. Lots of fascinating information and it is all based on social science research.
Ginny Messina
Read this two years ago, and I'm not sure why I never rated or reviewed it. I still refer back to this book often; it's essential reading for any activist, and especially animal activists.
Lauren Read
This book is truly a manual. Learn and live in the most effective way to incite change, in individuals and society! A practical guide referencing hundreds of studies.
AJ
This book was factual and well-written, just not terribly interesting to me. I would highly recommend it to people who work for non-profits, however.
Bonnie
Dec 15, 2011 Bonnie is currently reading it
Shelves: book-club
Just getting into this, but finding that it can be very important for anyone working to effect change in thinking to create change in behavior.
Teagen Mcclain
I've read this book twice and found it very useful. If you are an activist or advocate of any cause I highly recommend Change of Heart.
Kathleen
A very useful book for activists & probably everyone else who wants to persuade someone to agree/change their behaviour/etc.
Jeff
A collection of Activist Mind Tricks. A valuable resource for anybody who wants to convince anybody of anything.
Feb 16, 2011 Sarah marked it as considering
Recommended by Civil Eats
Preston
Preston marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Davenportscouch
Davenportscouch marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Melissa Amarello
Melissa Amarello marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Sarah is currently reading it
May 16, 2015
Comment on the blurb 1 6 Jan 18, 2011 09:30AM
  • The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World
  • Striking at the Roots: A Practical Guide to Animal Activism
  • Eternal Treblinka
  • Aftershock: Confronting Trauma in a Violent World: A Guide for Activists and Their Allies
  • Making A Killing: The Political Economy of Animal Rights
  • Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money
  • Every Twelve Seconds: Industrialized Slaughter and the Politics of Sight
  • The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World Without Losing Your Way
  • Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog?
  • Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights
  • Terrorists or Freedom Fighters?: Reflections on the Liberation of Animals
  • States of Denial: A New Perspective
  • Defiant Daughters: 21 Women on Art, Activism, Animals, and the Sexual Politics of Meat
  • The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals
  • Green Is the New Red: An Insider's Account of a Social Movement Under Siege
  • The Dreaded Comparison: Human and Animal Slavery
  • Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism: The Belief System That Enables Us to Eat Some Animals and Not Others
  • Living among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarians' Survival Handbook
Veganomics: The Surprising Science on What Motivates Vegetarians, from the Breakfast Table to the Bedroom How to Be Great at Doing Good: Why Results Are What Count and How Smart Charity Can Change the World