Start by marking “Taking The Fifth (J.P. Beaumont, #4)” as Want to Read:
Taking The Fifth (J.P. Beaumont, #4)

Taking The Fifth (J.P. Beaumont #4)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,679 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
There are many bizarre and terrible ways to die. Seattle Homicide Detective J.P. Beaumont thought he had seen them all--until he saw this body, its wounds, and the murder weapon: an elegant woman's shoe, its stiletto heel gruesomely caked with blood. The evidence is shocking and unsettling, even for a man who prowls the shadows for a living, for it suggests that savagery i ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published June 1st 1987 by Avon (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Taking The Fifth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking The Fifth

Stephanie Buck
In J.A. Jance's 4th Beaumont mystery I was hoping that our favorite detective would grow some as a character. It still hasn't happened. Once again, Det. Beaumont beds a beautiful alleged murderer. The only difference is this one actually ends up innocent. I'm hoping by the 5th novel Jance will have come up with a more unique plot.

In this book our homophobic detective deals again deals with gays and HIV/AIDS. He does seem to be coming along though, once again attributed to his gay interior decora
jaxnsmom
Mar 14, 2015 jaxnsmom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2015
I want to make clear that part of my rating is based on my extreme dislike of the narration. It was horrible. Beaumont was the only character who sounded strong, although the women came close. The rest of the men sounded anywhere from simpering to idiotic to unsure of themselves and deferential - and they were mostly cops, with some being his superiors.

I don't think I would have cared much for the story anyway - it was uneven, and parts didn't make sense. After reading the Joanna Brady and Ali R
Dyana
Nov 08, 2015 Dyana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We got a reprieve with book three in the series, but J. P. Beaumont puts on his "stupid hat" in the fourth and does it again - he sleeps with a beautiful woman and then finds out she may be an alleged murderer. Luckily, after some major clues are discovered, Beau is convinced she is innocent and being framed but has trouble convincing everyone else.

A male body is discovered near the railroad tracks close to the Pike Place Market in Seattle. Interestingly enough, the victim seems to have been st
Dennis
This is the fourth in Jance's J.P. Beaumont Mysteries series. The author has become more "familiar" with her lead Seattle homicide detective, and some of his irritating traits evident in the first two novels seem more realistic now. Jance is good at introducing new plot lines and new characters, using twists and surprises along the way to an exciting conclusion. While his ex-partner, Peters, introduced in the first book, is still here, he is sidelined after a severe injury left him fighting for ...more
Fredrick Danysh
A stage hand is found murdered in Seattle. The J.P. Beaumont finds a brick of cocaine hidden in the pillowcase of a dead man who is supposed to have died from AIDS. His prime suspect is a beautiful singer who is a recovering drug addict.
Marca
May 15, 2014 Marca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading the J.P. Beaumont books out of order (trying to catch up). This is one of the earlier books and Detective Beau is working a murder that took place near the Pike Place Market in Seattle. A man was stabbed with a blue spike heel and Beau uncovers a drug-fueled motive. Like Cinderella’s prince, Beau sets off to find the other shoe. During the investigation, Beau becomes involved with a former hard-living, hard-drugging female rock singer who has begun singing standards (Linda Ronstadt ...more
Megargee
Feb 09, 2015 Megargee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is OK but Beaumont No. 4 is not one of the better Beaumont novels. Jance ships off many of the continuing characters. Peters is still in his Stryker frame, Big Al's son has an emergency appendectomy, and the Peters kids are on a trip to Disneyland, so Beau is free to thoroughly investigate a beautiful and talented singer who is making a comeback after a trip to the Betty Ford Center. As others have noted, he behaves unprofessionally, failing to notify bereaved parents of their son's death ...more
Allen
Aug 26, 2008 Allen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i've been reading the beaumont series from the beginning, noting the improvment in each book in the series. this is the forth book in the series and it slips back a bit, mainly because, for plot purposes, the main character has to behave very stupidly for about a chapter and a half. almost quit the book at that point, but stayed with it to a generally ok conclusion.
Lori
Mar 24, 2015 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to end up repeating myself with Beau's reviews. I love the entire series. I'm a Seattleite and have been able to follow where the stories all go, from when the freeways had dead ends, to the commute across the lake. Even when he's tripped to Arizona, I can follow as I have traveled there too. JA Jance is an author whose books I feel can be picked up in any order and read as-is. you may not get all the references to occurrences in the past, but it doesn't detract from the story telling. ...more
Chris
Apr 18, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bart
Oct 27, 2012 Bart rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the first mystery by J.A. Jance that I've read, and I am apparently in the small minority who finds the writing lacking. Especially in the beginning, it sounded like a parody of the usual TV detective dialog with hackneyed phrases, stereotypical characters, etc. I knew what the character would say before he said it. J. P. Beaumont seems to be not a particularly bright or insightful homicide detective, so I was surprised later to learn that he is a legend in the police department. The st ...more
Renee
Jul 07, 2013 Renee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A not-terrible, not fantastic outing in the J. P. Beaumont series involving a beautiful singer, drugs, AIDS, cross dressing, and murder by stiletto. The charm of this series is Beau and the cast of friends and partners. I was annoyed that he, once again, slept with the young, beautiful blonde who may or may not have been involved in the case. For a good detective, he has terrible taste/no self-control when it comes to women. Some of the AIDS and "queers" references now seem rather dated, and Bea ...more
Stephanie Benoit
Ok, Beau is part jerk, part really good guy. Sometimes I'd like to smack him, other times hug him. I must confess that I am addicted to this series I think. Ii had a few hours of withdrawal until I remembered my additional SF library card! I'm hoping for the best that I can get the next book quickly too. Having been to Washington once, it is nice to hear about recognizable places and imagine more accurately what Jance is describing.
Susie
Sep 08, 2015 Susie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being that it was published in 1987- I really noticed a difference of attitudes to the approach of gay characters in the book. It really shows what a long ways society has progressed to a more accepting attitude to the LGBT community. The fear of aids was also quite the thing at the time- also portrayed in the book.

Also quite dated was JP Beaumont's fascination with his new answering machine.

I always enjoy a JA Jance novel- a quick, easy, but fun read.
Laurel Deloria
THe story of a singer trying for a comeback after a drug filled youth.
It seemed like a most unlikely instrument of death: a lady's cobalt blue pump with stiletto heels. But the fact that it was caked with the blood of--and found damningly close to--a very dead man gives Seattle Homicide Detective J.P. Beaumont a solid lead into a case of lethal theatrics and...
Ed
Aug 16, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 in the J.P. Beaumont series.

J.P. Beaumont, Seattle police detective, suspects a connection between a man found killed in a fall and the death of his roommate, apparently from AIDS, on the same night. Drugs and a beautiful singer on a comeback tour become involved in the investigation. Injured partner, Ron Peters, helps from his hospital bed.
KATHLEEN BONIELLO
A bit disappointed.

I've loved reading the J.P. Beaumont series. This one fell below my expectations. The writing was more like a first time high school kid rather than Jance. I tried to get to,the end, but when I read the line "C'mon you guys"! Well that's when I gave up. Very disappointed. Was hoping for more.
Brenda Benoit
Apr 25, 2016 Brenda Benoit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I read this series, the more I am loving it and Beau. I don't normally care to read books that aren't set in a more modern time but Beau's aversion to new technology and his reluctant acceptance of their use makes me laugh every time it is mentioned. I wish that Ralph Ames had more of a presence in this book but I was very glad that Ron Peters is making a comeback. Beau's (and most everyone's) attitude toward gay people made me realize just how far we have come in accepting them. Someti ...more
Charles Fields
While I always enjoy the Beaumont novels, and hope to read the whole series, this one involved the underside of Seattle to an extent I found tiresome. I didn't like the characters - they don't seem like people I would want to meet or be around. And (spoiler) JP sleeping with a suspect early in the case was immoral and unprofessional.
Douglas L Chandler
J. A. Janice taking the Fifth Review

I ran across J. A. Janice about a year ago and being raised in Seattle (four generations) I fell in love with her writing and this is my fifth book by her. She really does a great job and reading about Seattle and Washington. I have read two of her Arizona books, also.

Diana
Jul 01, 2014 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this a better review, because I really enjoy Ms. Jance & her writings, but this was pretty awful. It was a homophobic, misogynistic mess. And to top it off, totally unbelievable. I urge readers to read the JP Beaumont series, but skip this one particular book.
Russell Fletcher
Mar 16, 2013 Russell Fletcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is a very good book. Others have rated it lower. Who knows why I like it better. Maybe it is because if I had thought about it more as I want along, for the first of Jance's books I -- could have -- possibly figured out one of the killers. Instead, when the thought of this person being one of the killers I wanted to know who done it and kept reading instead.

Since Peters (Beau's partner) is in the hospital Beau is teamed up with Big Al. It was a nice touch that even though Peters was a quadr
Dale A Shaver
Feb 20, 2016 Dale A Shaver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Read

Fast paced story in familiar Seattle setting. JP Beaumont shows up and finds his way to a successful conclusion with the help of unexpected people along the way.
J Stanley
Jul 29, 2014 J Stanley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-mystery
The book started out slow, I almost quit. About half way through it got to the point I couldn't put it down. I found myself trying to solve it before it over. Great mystery....
Dan Smith
Mar 31, 2014 Dan Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading J.P. Beaumont stories is like reading Stone Barrington or Jesse Stone. Really good easy reads about the detective in Seattle. Cannot wait to start the next one
Judy
Oct 18, 2013 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really like Jance's other series (Joanna Brady and Ali Reynolds), so of course, I started on the J P Beaumont series. This is the 4th book in the series and the 4th one I've read. So far, I haven't liked any of the Beaumont books nearly as much as the other two series and this one, in particular, was almost boring. The ending seemed to save it as it got a bit more interesting, but even so, it felt like "oh, it's time to end this book, so we need to quickly tie up loose ends." There was no deve ...more
Randy
Jan 07, 2014 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually read something entertaining and easy to slow me down at night...detective fiction that makes me smile is my favorite. JP Beaumont is a great detective series and this one took me by force. I snuck in reading time during the middle of the day and somehow managed to finish it in no time flat. He's a little more serious than some...and didn't make me laugh a lot (though he does have a sense of humor). Janice did well with this book, written in '09.
Kay Roseberry
Nov 29, 2015 Kay Roseberry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More more

I'm hooked. Liking the series. Gotta keep reading. You never fully figure out what or who until the end happy readings.
Thomas King
Dec 02, 2014 Thomas King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page Turner

Glad to have found another Jance book that I missed along the way. She is absolutely the best...from. beginning to end!
Ruth
Loved it

A bit like the tv show Castle but much better. Snappy, interesting and great characters that flow from book to book.
  • Death Qualified - A Mystery of Chaos (Barbara Holloway #1)
  • Black Hearts and Slow Dancing (Mac Fontana, #1)
  • Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • The Second Mouse (Joe Gunther #17)
  • Games to Keep the Dark Away
  • Undercurrents (Boldt/Matthews, #1)
  • Black Swan
  • First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • Flat Spin (A Cordell Logan Mystery, #1)
  • Coping with Your Difficult Older Parent: A Guide for Stressed Out Children
  • Serpent's Tooth (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #10)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

J.P. Beaumont (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont, #1)
  • Injustice for All (J.P. Beaumont, #2)
  • Trial by Fury (J.P. Beaumont, #3)
  • Improbable Cause (J.P. Beaumont, #5)
  • A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont, #6)
  • Dismissed with Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)
  • Minor in Possession (J.P. Beaumont, #8)
  • Payment in Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)
  • Without Due Process (J.P. Beaumont, #10)
  • Failure to Appear (J.P. Beaumont, #11)

“It’s tough going to bed with a stranger. There’s nothing much to talk about the next morning when you wake up.” 1 likes
“suspected that God would probably come across with a hell of a lot more Christian charity than either one of Jonathan Thomas’s pious parents could muster.” 0 likes