Start by marking “A to Zoo: Subject Access to Children's Picture Books” as Want to Read:
A to Zoo: Subject Access to Children's Picture Books

A to Zoo: Subject Access to Children's Picture Books

It's back and it's better than ever, chock full of everything a children's librarian needs for reader's advisory and collection building. "A to Zoo: Subject Access to Children's Picture Books, Eighth Edition" is the latest version of the guide that has become the standard resource for up-to-date information on fiction and nonfiction picture books for children.

This must-hav
Published June 17th 2010 by Libraries Unlimited (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about A to Zoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A to Zoo

Alicia
A to Zoo is an extensive subject based reader's advisory reference for children's picture books. The edition that I was able to to check out from the library was the 6th edition, published in 2001. From what I can tell, aside from having less titles, this edition is identical to the more current 7th edition (published in 2008). A to Zoo allows the user to locate books in four different ways; by subject, by author, by book title, or by illustrator. In the "Subject Guide" users are given a list of ...more
Kristen
Mar 03, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms and teachers
WHAT A FIND!! I got this at a library book sale for 50 cents!! It is a reference book for children's picture books. It is broken into five parts: 1) Subject Headings-An alphabetical list of the subjects catalogued in the book. 2) Subject Guide-"This guide to nearly 23,000 picture books for preschool children (although it contains a lot of books I've already read to Hattie, so it's appropriate for toddlers, too) through second graders is catalogued under more than 1,200 subjects." As I was flippi ...more
Elizabeth Lamantia
Reviewed by: Elizabeth LaMantia
Format: Bibliography

Item Title (APA Style):
Lima, J. A., & Lima, C. W. (2006). A to zoo: subject access to children's picture books 7th ed;. Libraries Unlimited.
Call number:
Reviewed in: Dobda, K. W. (2006). [A to Zoo]. Collection Management, 31(3), 102-103.
Price: $84.00
Description:
Picture book guide arranged by subject.
Relevance and Relationship:
This book would be appropriate for the collection analyzed during my field experience hours because it is appropria
Kim Thomas
Lima, J., Lima, C. 2006. A to zoo: subject access to children's books. Libraries Unlimited.

Type of Reference: Dictionary

Call Number: REF 011.6

Description: This is a picture dictionary for young children. It has many illustrations to help young children find words in the dictionary. This is for children between the age of 5-7. The book is also divided into 5 sections to make it easier for children to find what they are looking for.

Review:
Library Journal
The latest edition of this standard referen
Kelly Everhart
Dec 01, 2012 Kelly Everhart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Lima, C. & Thomas, R. (2006). A to Zoo: Subject access to children’s picture books. 7th ed. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited.

Call Number: R 011.62 LIM

Description: A guide of over 14,000 titles listed which covers 800 subjects and are indexed by author, title, and illustrator.

Relevance and Relationship: With a large diverse population, both educators and students will use this source to locate published works on a variety of topics.

Purpose: To provide educators and students a list of childre
Kristen Mulvihill
This is my first choice in locating children's books according to a subject, topic, or theme. Although our library has access to Novelist and several other online resources that provide book reviews in addition to read-alikes, A to Zoo: Subject Access to Children's Picture Books is a handy in-print tool for librarians and parents. Although the copyright is 2010, it is a good starting point when thinking about creating a storytime according to one theme or topic. It includes an index of subject h ...more
Sonya Dayman
A to zoo: Subject access to children’s picture books. (2006). Westport: Libraries Unlimited.

Citation by: Sonya Dayman

Type of Reference: Bibliography

Call Number: Ref 011.62

Content/Scope: This reference resource includes information about fiction and nonfiction books for children. It includes over 4000 titles that have been published since 2001.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: This book includes many titles from a variety of cultures and ethnicities.

Arrangement/Presentation: It has a subject guide, a bibl
Stacy
Jan 09, 2015 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Basically lists picture books for any topic you can think of.
Sarah Ragan
Apr 27, 2014 Sarah Ragan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 00-in-class
good book for children!
Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002"
I am a homeschooling mother of three. This is another library reference book that I kept referring to at the library when I was planning out some of our interest-led curriculum. My time is valuable, so I ended up purchasing an ex-lib copy from amazon so I could have this to use in the comfort of my own home. This was worth every cent as I refer to it pretty much daily.
Josh
Oct 06, 2011 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for librarians confronted with reference questions like "Where would I find picture books on the subject of (death, trucks, Japan,...)? It's an indispensable resource; an exhaustive, 1000+ page tome with many access points.
Marina
What a fantastic resource to help you find children's books to match up with your lessons! I need to have this in my classroom!
dhan
dhan marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Monica Ver Meer
Monica Ver Meer marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Kayla lynn thomason
Kayla lynn thomason rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Audrey
Audrey rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Melissa Ford
Melissa Ford marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Lonya
Lonya rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
S.Hall
S.Hall added it
Apr 01, 2016
Zamarripa
Zamarripa marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Tammy Booth
Tammy Booth marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Paige Riggs
Paige Riggs marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2014
Elizabeth Perdue
Elizabeth Perdue rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014