Start by marking “The Oxford Classical Dictionary” as Want to Read:
The Oxford Classical Dictionary

The Oxford Classical Dictionary

4.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  158 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A comprehensive reference book to all fields of ancient Greek and Roman civilization up to the death of Constantine.
Hardcover, Second edition, 1176 pages
Published 1970 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Oxford Classical Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oxford Classical Dictionary

Lindsay
May 29, 2007 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I was stranded on a desert island, and I could only choose one reference book, it would be this one. That of course begs the question: what am I doing on an island that would require knowledge or trivia about the ancient world?

...but whatever, its a hypothetical.
Everyman
Indispensable for the serious reader of classical (Greek and Roman) literature. Is and will remain on my currently reading list since I refer to it at least weekly and often daily.
AC
Jun 22, 2012 AC rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ancient
The 2nd and 3rd editions are really quite different books; I'm always partial to the older, more traditional ones in all things. But both are valuable, handy reference books and well worth the effort of owning. The best shelf reference, of course, is the Kleine Pauly (5 paperback volumes in German).
Abby
Mar 08, 2012 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the OCD in a completely, unabashedly nerdy way. It's always a great deal of fun to haul it into class and pass it around, reading the entry on the latest topic my students and I are studying. Extensive, and excellent to use.
Alexandra
This is an excellent book to browse; articles vary in length, but provide a good overview in most cases. They also provide further reading on each individual topic.

The price is hefty, but worth it - collecting a series a books covering the breadth of information covered here would be far more expensive. It is not limited to the 'Golden Age', but covers developments in late antiquity - most articles take a historical overview of their topic, not just a snapshot. As an example: the article on the
Joe
Jul 12, 2011 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
01/26/2007

All things considered, a superb reference work

This edition (the third edition, 1996) has over 6200 entries on 1640 pages! And no, I haven't read them all... This is really wonderful for those times when you come across a new term (whether a person, place or thing) and need some idea as to who (what or where) is being discussed, indicated or alluded to. This Edition, published in 1996, was put together between 1991-1994 and contains matters (such as the Near East) that were barely touch
David
Apr 18, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of, if not the, go to sources for primary source acquisition[s] regarding almost every social, political, military aspect of classical civilization. Helped me in college a time or two.
David Hollywood
Jan 04, 2015 David Hollywood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The absolute essential companion to anyone interested in the Classical World. Impossible to overstate!
Irene
Jun 08, 2015 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My bible!
Emily
Feb 05, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, philology
It is a very helpful resource for basic information on classical studies but "dictionary" maybe conveys too great an authority and the entries shouldn't be blithely accepted as established fact. For instance, while consulting the entry on Theopompus I noticed a somewhat controversial stance assumed on Theopompus' attitude toward Philip II of Macedon.
AC
Jun 22, 2012 AC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient
Malcolm
Nov 29, 2010 Malcolm is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I managed to find the Third edition new at a giveaway price so it will replace my much battered 2nd edition copy of 1970.
Theodros
Jun 25, 2013 Theodros marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This an amazing reference work, it has articles on everything in the ancient world, I will use this source for years
Adrian
Have to turn to it from time to time...a professional and good sources for classics study
Jeff
Apr 11, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Went through a whole case of post-its marking up this one. Indispensable!!
Colin
The ultimate scholarly reference for all things Classical . . .
Dean
Sep 20, 2012 Dean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have for anyone interested in the Classical period.
Dave Van Es
Dave Van Es marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Mina Wael
Mina Wael marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Deniz
Deniz marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
AmazonHowl
AmazonHowl marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Jess Shaw
Jess Shaw marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
杨凡
杨凡 rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Alexa Koike
Alexa Koike rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
David Andrews
David Andrews rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Vivonne
Vivonne marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Edward Carifio
Edward Carifio marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
  • The Oxford History of the Classical World
  • Greek Grammar
  • A Brief History of Ancient Greece: Politics, Society and Culture
  • Lingua Latina per se Illustrata: Pars I: Familia Romana (Pt. 1)
  • Scribes and Scholars: A Guide to the Transmission of Greek and Latin Literature
  • On the Nature of the Gods. Academics