Panda Math: Learning About Subtraction from Hua Mei and Mei Sheng

Panda Math: Learning About Subtraction from Hua Mei and Mei Sheng (Animal Math)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Learn about subtraction with the San Diego Zoo’s famous baby pandas

Hua Mei was the first giant panda cub born in the United States that survived more than a few days. She was born at the San Diego Zoo, and four years later her mother had another baby, Mei Sheng. Hua Mei and her brother, Mei Sheng, spend their days climbing on logs, lounging in trees, and eating bamboo.

A...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Angela
Author: Ann Whitehead Nagda
Grade Level: 3-4
Content: Math, San Diego Zoo's own Panda, informational

This is an amazing book that incorporates both factual information on pandas at the San Diego Zoo as well as subtraction concepts. If you only would like to read the story of the pandas, then you only read the right side of the book. If you would like to incorporate the math portion then you would read the left sides of the book. It explains the concept of subtraction as finding the difference betw...more
Dolly
Jan 22, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with children
There are books about animals and books about math. This book tries to do both, and I think it is moderately successful. I would recommend to parents reading this book with younger children that they skip the math pages as the author suggests in the beginning of the book. Otherwise they will likely lose interest quickly.

We recently read Cheetah Math: Learning About Division from Baby Cheetahs and our youngest complained a lot about the alternating pages of math lessons. I think she was just gru...more
Shunta
Nov 01, 2012 Shunta rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
I would use this to show correlation to real life. Let students see how math is in everything we do. Cute pics of baby panda. Im from San Diego and have been to this zoo numerous of times, i could show my self to text correlation. It has arrays throughout the book and a rekenrek look a like model, plus a numberline.
Kristine Pratt
This just makes me happy on so many levels. I like math. I like pandas. I like some of these explanations on how to do math, some I don't. I think that we look too hard sometimes for shortcuts. On the other hand, for kids that are very visually oriented, this might be just the thing.
Kim
I have no idea why they bothered to include the subtraction nonsense. If a kid picks up a book about pandas, he's not thinking about subtraction!
Dawn
Teaching subtraction by using information about two baby pandas. I will be getting other books in this series. A good living maths book.
Theresa
math resource book about subtraction
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Nayan
Nayan marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2012
Dear Whiskers Tiger Math: Learning to Graph from a Baby Tiger Meow Means Mischief The Perfect Cat-Sitter Tarantula Power!