Start by marking “Someone Who'll Watch Over Me” as Want to Read:
Someone Who'll Watch Over Me

Someone Who'll Watch Over Me

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  9 reviews
An Englishman, an Irishman and an American are locked up together in a cell in the Middle East. As victims of political action, powerless to initiate change, what can they do? How do they live and survive?

Frank McGuinness's new play, introduced by Brian Keenan, explores the daily crisis endured by hostages whose strength comes from communication, both subtle and mundane, f
Published January 7th 1993 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Someone Who'll Watch Over Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone Who'll Watch Over Me

Sarah Borden
One of the all-time realistic, fantastic, sad, triumphant plays. Three characters you'll never forget in a situation you'll desperately wish you could.
Andrew Lawston
I played Michael Watters in a charity production of Someone Who'll Watch Over Me in March 2012. In order to learn the lines I had to spend about three months reading this book every day. And I never got bored with it. Switching from absurd comedy to high drama in the space of a line, this is certainly the best play I have ever performed in. When we were selling tickets, the director would tell people it was the best play written in the last 25 years. Hyperbole, to be sure, but it has to be a con...more
Claire
"Someone Who'll Watch Over Me" is one of the best war plays ever written. This haunting, heartbreaking, and funny work tells the story of an American, an Englishman and an Irishman trapped in a Middle Eastern prison cell together. (Which totally sounds like the beginning of a racist joke.) This play is so beautiful and sad and the scene where the English guy and the Irish guy argue about what really caused the Famine is just hilarious. Everything about this play is brilliant.
Marcia
I attended the play in New York before I read it. It was powerful and poignant. I saw Stephen Rea, James McDaniel, and Alec McCowan. The production included a stark set, with part ofElla Fitzgerald's version of George and Ira Gershwin's "Someone To Watch Over Me" between scenes as the lights faded to a starlit "sky."
Jason
i guess it wasn't too bad, but it seemed that these 3 characters could have as easily be sitting in a bar talking instead of being chained to a wall in a windowless room somewhere in Lebanon.
David
The 2005 revival (with David Threlfall, Jonny Lee Miller, and Aiden Gillen) was by turns incredibly poignant, funny, and tragic - a good text made fantastic in production.
Emelia
A wonderful exploration of human nature. How do we deal with isolation and loneliness? With loss? Hoe big are our imagines?
Derek Fraser
What a challenge for three actors, but it would be so thrilling to make this play come alive.
Daniel
Might be my favorite play of all time. If not, top five.
Sam Pitcher
Sam Pitcher is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2014
Janae
Janae marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Tikva
Tikva added it
Jun 01, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Marina
Marina added it
Jan 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Frank McGuinness is Professor of Creative Writing in University College Dublin. A world-renowned playwright, his first great stage hit was the highly acclaimed ‘Observe the Sons of Ulster Marching Towards the Somme’. He is also a highly skilled adapter of plays by writers such as Ibsen, Sophocles, Brecht, and writer of several film scripts, including Dancing at Lughnasa, and he has published sever...more
More about Frank McGuinness...
Observe the Sons of Ulster Marching Towards the Somme Plays 1: The Factory Girls / Observe the Sons of Ulster Marching Towards the Somme / Innocence / Carthaginians / Baglady Arimathea Dolly West's Kitchen The Hanging Gardens