If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend

If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  420 ratings  ·  66 reviews
She knows all about art, but does she know what she likes? Jane Laine used to know a lot about art. But that was before she started managing a prominent gallery, and long before she met it artist Ian Rhys-Fitzsimmons. Jane can't seem to put a finger on what exactly is so it about his work. In fact, as far as she can tell, he's a big fraud and his fifteen minutes of fame sh...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Berkley Books

Keertana
It became a ritual for me to scroll away from If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend. Somehow, the combination of its odd title, simplistic cover, and typical synopsis simply didn't appeal to me. Even when I finally picked it up, I did so with an immense amount of skepticism. Yet, If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend is a light, fun, immensely touching read about life, love, and the ups and downs we all cope with. Jane is the all-too-familiar protagonist who finds her boyfriend cheating and, in a state of b...more
Angie
I've been hearing about this book for what seems like awhile now. I'd never run across it until Ari from Emily and Her Little Pink Notes started talking it up as a diamond in the rough. She has such similar taste to my own that I rather suspected at that point I would someday be seeking this one out. Then Lit Snit featured it on their BBAW Unexpected Treasure post and those suspicions turned into beliefs. Finally I broke down and searched my library's catalog. They had it in! So I grabbed it on...more
Ciara
if andy warhol had had a girlfriend, i think she'd have been a fairly unsatisfied lady, all things considered. that is acknowledged at one point in the book (the fact that andy warhol was not straight), but it still seems like a really weird phrase to hang a book on.

so the basic plot here is: jane laine works for a new york gallery that has built its reputation around its relationship with world-famous wunderkind sculptor ian rhys-simmons. jane's boss, dick, is a total asshole, but jane wants to...more
Emilyandherlittlepinknotes
Don’t you love when a book leaves you smiling at the end?

I read this novel a few months ago and it made me realize how difficult it is to find a good chick lit that keeps you company for a few days and soothes your mind as a good cappuccino in a cafè you enjoy.

“If Andy Warhol had a girlfriend” is one of those gems. Jane Laine “Plain Jane” works for an art gallery and finds herself travelling with contemporary artist Ian Rhys-Fitzsimmons. Ian is known as a genius, and his work is highly regarded...more
Shxrxn
This was why I was still single. I had been fortunate enough to arrive unencumbered, without baggage without a messy relationship to get over, at the doorstep of The Perfect Man.
- Jane
Machines have less problems. I'd like to be a machine.
- Andy Warhol
sometimes I am pretty sure the only thing I know is nothing.
- Jane
I know this is probably very hard on you right now but I believe that you will be a better person and a stronger person for going through this. I think I am.
- Jack
What makes a person...more
Holly
Oct 28, 2010 Holly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Holly by: Ari
Shelves: contemporary
A vase of daisies and the perfect pair of black pants were not the ways in which Jane Laine expected to discover her relationship with the tall handsome Texan was over. But that was exactly how one of the major strings in her life was cut. On the surface her job as manager of the Dick Reese art gallery in New York looks perfect, but underneath she feels as if she knows little about art anymore. For one she hasn’t the foggiest idea why current ‘It’ sculptor of the decade Ian Rhys-Fitzsimmons rece...more
Mary Schafer
Jul 31, 2008 Mary Schafer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girlfriends
What a fantastic book! Totally readable and 100% enjoyable--especially if you've ever been hideously dumped, hated your job, tried to quit smoking, and lost your favorite pants. Remember how you embarked on an adventure, cut your hair, kissed the wrong guy (more than one/once), and after grieving for some amount of time, realized that you were SO much better off? This book is for and about you. Laugh out loud funny, sweet, and fun--all the things you are.
Christine Chapman
One of the best fiction books I have ever read. It has art, artists, and poor life choices. Plus each chapter begins with an Andy Warhol quote. Great book to read during your quarter-life crisis. Nothing works out as your childhood fantasies of life predicted. Somehow everything you thought you wanted doesn't make you happy and somethings you never expected to happen take over your life. Best read along with your best friends.
Amy
Jane Laine has to travel around the world to figure out she's in love the the artist Ian Rhys-Fitzsimmons. I could have told you in the second chapter. Never judge a book by its title. =(
Erin
My only complaint is that it was over too quickly.

The line "Jane, you are my moors. You are my Rome." is probably up there with "you, yes, you" from Marcus Flutie for me.
Beth
I really, really enjoyed this one! I love intelligent chick-lit-type books. Ones that don't center around shopping and shoes. Quite possibly my favorite of Alison's books! :)
Tonyia
I really liked this book. Although it was predictable, it was a very fun read and not quite as dumbed down as most chick lit.
Minli
(2.5 stars) Far from it do I intend to rail the genre of chick lit. In fact, I am waiting for my perfect chick lit book like I am waiting for my BFF, since that's basically the tone a great chick lit book should have. Except I haven't been able to connect with many of these books, let alone consider them my BFFs. But I'm trying.

The gist is this: Jane works at an art gallery whose primary livelihood depends on super-star contemporary sculptor Ian Rhys-Fitzsimmons. They decide to put Ian an a 5-m...more
Lisa
“If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend” is a fun, lighthearted story of a young woman finding her own identity with the help of her friends and strength that she finds within herself. “Plane Jane”, as she calls herself, is easily identifiable in most every young woman. She is single, has relationship issues, resents her boss, dislikes a co-worker, is bored with her mundane life and is having difficulty finding meaning in her chosen career. These real life issues are so very common among young women th...more
Lauren
I loved this book. A fast, easy, fun read (I read this in one day). Nothing overly complex to think about though OOO how I loved the places Jane travels in the book. Having traveled to each of the cities on Jane's "Art Tour Project" made the book that much more fun to read. Pace clearly loves the cities that she wrote about and knows them well... though let me tell ya it does not take 40 minutes to get from the Spanish Steps to Trasetevere and if you take a bus to Piazza Del Popolo you can walk...more
Jen
Our heroine works for a complete jack-ass of an art dealer, and starts off the book going through an unexpected and bad break-up with her boyfriend. This causes her to make a small error at work (which is perceived as the end of the world by her art dealer boss), so when her boss tells her she's going to be sent out of the office for five months to serve as gopher for their biggest artist client on a tour, she feels that it must be a punishment.

Pretty typical chick lit - light, mildly amusing, p...more
Katherine
This was okay--chick lit set in the art world. The negative chapter taking place in Chicago was very annoying--um, no way would Chicago hold a major international art fair in the middle of winter. Gee, thanks for making Chicagoans look like idiots. It doesn't need to be based on the actual art fair here, but that just stuck out as a preposterous detail. Also, it's yet another chick lit book with an "Ian" (how many can there be?). But I didn't regret reading it, I like reading novels set in the c...more
Sri
Lucu dan aku suka fairy tale-nya buku ini.

Bagian Jane 'bertemu' Owen Wilson lucu banget dan berhasil memancing imajinasiku: bagaimana jika aku bertemu Jude Law? Hahaha, ngapain ya? Cium tangan aja kali ya hahaha. Atau lebih baik aku ngelamar untuk jadi nanny-nya Rudy, Iris dan Rafferty? Hehehe, ngimpi aja lah bisa ketemu Jude Law.

Kembali soal bukunya, walaupun kisah cinta Ian - Jane gampang ditebak tapi aku suka cara Ian mencintai Jane. Tidak terburu-buru. Kalem tapi pasti :">.
Heather
i started this book last night after finishing "the new yorkers" and i'm nearly finished already! from the same author of "pug hill" - a book i loved (for obvious reasons) . . . i love this book also. mostly because it's centered around a girl who is a gallery manager and that is something i can definitely relate too - also, it features some of my favorite cities such as Rome & Santa Fe. i heart alison pace!
Nina
Boring. The two leads had absolutely zero chemistry, and I find it hard to believe that two people could just easily fall in love with each other through the course of the book when I didn't even like either of them. Being "artists" I expected them to have a little bit more depth.

I liked how each chapter started with an Andy Warhol quote, but other than that this book did nothing for me.
Notenough1
This book never really went anywhere for me. The whole big dramatic cliffhanger - the heroine gaining trust in the hero's authenticity seemed completely fabricated to me. I was waiting for something to happen until the very last page where the two main characters professed their love for each other and kissed. On a plane. Pointless. Complete waste of two days of reading...
Whitney Tolley
Easy chicklit read. Learned a lot about the world of commercial art, gained a lot of hear-me-roar girl pride, and probably the perfect book to read after a break up. It's like an episode of Sex and the City, from the perspective of a girl that would probably have been part of the group had she been 10 years older.
Jodi
This is a typical chick lit type novel, with the twist of art thrown in. I doubt I would like it so much without the art focus, because art is one of those things that I'm into, but the art theme is great and the story is cute. It's the kind of book to take to the beach or read on a lazy day.
Angela
Sometimes, I just want to read a book about a smart but not overly pretty modern woman who's trying to find Mr. Right. Chick lit fills a niche, but I don't want it to be dumb. Pace is a lively, smart writer who represents the genre really well. I wish Meg Cabot wrote like this.
Jen
This is not a literary classic, however it was a fun read and there is a great section where the main character goes to a sweat lodge and I laughed so hard, books rarely make me laugh like that! Good beach read, travel read, or just something if you don't want to think to hard.
Eleanor Marque
I love contemporary art and I love chick lit, so this is the book for me. It didn't have as much glamour as I would have expected, and I still don't know that I've got a good sense of the love interest, but it was a fun read, and I can't wait to check out her other stuff!
Tracey
This was a fun book. Nicely developed characters that you end up rooting for. Loved the descriptions of the cities they visited, especially Rome. By the end of the book I was really getting into the the Andy Warhol quotes and a couple of times I laughed out loud. Nice read.
Ra
I like Andy Warhol, that's why I bought this book.... though I'm not really into a chick lit genre. Okay, it's quite an entertaining book with Andy Warhol quotes' in every chapter. ....

love story kind of novel not really attract me
Aimee
Boooring, supposed Chick Lit book with absolutely no romance, at all. I was expecting a much more interesting read. The author describes Rome well, I could actually picture it in my head, but other than that a dull story.
  • Bachelor Boys
  • Hating Valentine's Day
  • Questions to Ask Before Marrying
  • Dixieland Sushi
  • The Girlfriend Curse
  • The Key (Rachel Benjamin, #3)
  • The Night I Got Lucky
  • A Lily Among Thorns
  • The Family Fortune
  • Sugarhouse: Turning the Neighborhood Crack House into Our Home Sweet Home
  • Girl Most Likely to
  • Blondes Have More Felons (December Vaughn, #1)
  • Trials of Tiffany Trott
I'm the author of the novels If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend, Pug Hill, Through Thick and Thin, City Dog and A Pug's Tale . My essays have been included in several anthologies including Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume, and Howl: A Collection of the Best Contemporary Dog Wit.

My memoir, You Tell Your Dog First, just came out.

I live in New York City where I te...more
More about Alison Pace...
Pug Hill A Pug's Tale City Dog Through Thick and Thin You Tell Your Dog First

“Maybe Ian doesn't come from london at all, but from Idaho. And not the potato part of Idaho, but the crazy, inbred parents locking their children up in a cabin, away from schooling and vitamins, guarding 'em safe with a twelve-gauge shotgun, part of Idaho.” 2 likes