Finding Forrester: A Novel

Finding Forrester: A Novel

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Family isn't always what you're born with—sometimes it's the people you find, sometimes it's the people who find you.

He was a vibrant personality who wrote a Pulitzer Prize-winning classic novel four decades ago. And that's the last the world heard of William Forrester.

That is until Jamal Wallace, a brash 16-year-old with a secret passion for writing, invades Forrester's s...more
Published December 21st 2000 by It Books (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Forrester, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Forrester

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanDifferent Seasons by Stephen KingCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
American Literature at the Movies
93rd out of 284 books — 143 voters
Misery by Stephen KingThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónDeath in Venice by Thomas MannA Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James JoyceLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Writers Who Write About Writers
51st out of 145 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Evin
I loved the movie, "Finding Forester" so much that I hoped to enjoy the story from another perspective by reading the novel. It seems so right to read the book upon which a movie is based, especially when the story revolves around two main characters who share a passion for the written word.

I read the book while traveling. It certainly made the time pass and easily fits in a carry-on bag, purse, or briefcase. You know that feeling that comes over you when you realize the book you are enjoying i...more
Maddie
Finding Forrester is about a boy named Jamal Wallace, a 16-year-old with a secret passion for writing and a talented African-American scholar-athlete invades William Forrester’s apartment in the Bronx and re-ignites the dreams of his literacy legend in his life. The theme of Finding Forrester id that usually someone isn’t inspired until someone inspires or motivates them.
Jamal is very secretive about his passion for writing. He doesn’t want any of his friends to know about him being smart. Whe...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
I love this story...love the characters, love the meanings. When we learn that friends can be closer to us than family. The writing is wonderfully poetic with many references to legendary authors.

This story always leads me to a wonderful place in my heart where all dreams can come true but we must make sure we pursue them before it is too late.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow, birds fly then why can't I...yes, we can fly, we can dream big, and we must live our lives according to those dreams. Don't s...more
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
The book is very good but one must realize it's written based on the screenplay for the movie. The title of the edition I had was confusing as it says at the top of the cover "Now a Major Motion Picture from Columbia Pictures and the Director of "Good Will Hunting" starring Sean Connery." In tiny print on the bottom of the front cover it says "Based on the screenplay written by Mike Rich." The movie was good, so the book isn't bad either. But don't read this expecting to find things not in the m...more
Carly
Fantastic! It is never too late to be what you might have been. :)
Julanne Wicks
Moving and inspirational. A little slow in the writing style, the words moving like molasses across the page, but definitely a story that'll stick with you when you're done.
Rebekah
This book is unusual in that 1) it's based off a movie, not the other way around as usually happens, and 2) it's a vast improvement on the movie. I read the book and couldn't put it down. Then I watched the movie, expecting something as good as the book, and was really disappointed. But definitely read the book!
Jenni
An interesting tidbit about this novel is that it was written after the film was created. I have taught it in my low-level English courses and the students typically love it (especially once they realize a movie viewing is imminent). It is easy to read, yet still has ideas to discuss and points to ponder.
Emma
Makeup ruined! Literally cryed it all down my face at the end. It is written so beautifully, it is so compelling and the storyline is so inspiring. 5 big gold stars. Its a real tear jerker! Love love love it! Emma
Jonathan
I read this book based on a movie before I ever saw the movie, and I recommend the opposite experience. James Ellison surpassed his already excellent source material in his adaptation.
Christine Sinclair
This is a novelization of the screenplay, which I don't generally read, but I liked it. And I love the movie, and I love Sean Connery's picture on the book cover!
Tamara
for the teacher in all of us...and the student we were at one time, longing for a teacher like this.

besides....in the movie, sean connery is hot:)
Pia
I loved the movie, and obiously loved the book, but I kind of expected more from it.
Sandra
A great book with a great moral lesson. Wonderful character development.
Asia
A truly touching story with a natrally talented writer meeting to success!
Anwar Fauzan
inspiring..if you have the chance to watch the movie, go ahead. worth watching.
Jessica
Read this in Comp. Lit. I would of rather read Tale of Two Cities.
Cassandra
This was an exellent book, great moral lessons
Beth
Beth is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Tamre Webber
Tamre Webber marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Akeelah and the Bee Panic Room Beyond Borders Maid In Manhattan Rudy: A True Story

“You write your first draft with your heart, and you rewrite with your head.” 22 likes