Start by marking “Who Was Sacagawea?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Sacagawea?

Who Was Sacagawea? (Who Was/Is...?)

Sacagawea was only sixteen when she made one of the most remarkable journeys in American history, traveling 4500 miles by foot, canoe, and horse-all while carrying a baby on her back! Without her, the Lewis and Clark expedition might have failed. Through this engaging book, kids will understand the reasons that today, 200 years later, she is still remembered and immortaliz ...more
Published February 18th 2002 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Sacagawea?, please sign up.

Mar 28, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
She is so important.
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 19, 2017 Montzalee Wittmann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Who Was Sacagawea? by Judith Bloom Fradin is a very informative book! I did not realize that she was only 10 or 11 when she was traded to a frontiersman to be one of his Indian wives! She had been kidnapped from her tribe by another and that tribe just sold her at a young age! I don't think they told me this in school. There was a lot in here they didn't discuss. I wealth of knowledge in this book. I am glad I picked it up from the library. Wow, what a strong girl. Great book.
Sereen Gallichio
Judith Bloom Fradin's book about Sacagawea, is an amazing and entertaining non-fiction read. The book explains Sacagawea’s life both who she was and what she did. The book begins with a fascinating explanation for the reason she was depicted on the dollar coin. Sacagawea was placed on the United States new dollar coin in the year 2000. The top side shows an American Indian women holding her baby.
Sacagawea was born in 1790 in what is today the state of Idaho. While She was hundreds of miles away
Ronit Delrahim
Apr 11, 2012 Ronit Delrahim rated it liked it
“Who was Sacagawea” is about a 16 year old girl who traveled one of the most remarkable journeys in American history. At age 11 she tells her life story from when she was kidnapped by the Hitdasta. At 15 years old she married an older Canadian man named Charbonneau. The two of them joined the Lewis and Clark expedition. She traveled with a baby on her back and traveled over 4000 miles by walking, canoe, or horse. Sacagawea skills and knowledge of Native American languages helped them make their ...more
Yuka Honda
Jun 02, 2014 Yuka Honda rated it liked it
1 Who Was Sacagawea?
2 5/27=30min, 5/30=20min, 6/2=30min
3 Indian/hunting/shoshone/river/home/baby/coin
4 I like this passage "Sacagawea had traveled 4,500 miles carrying her baby on her back." When I holded my cousin's daughter, it was difficult to hold her for a long time. It was great to travel 4,500 miles carrying her baby on her back.
5 I respect for her because many people who live around the world respect for her. In addition, a new dollar coin "head" side shows her.
Nicholas Papavero
Apr 02, 2015 Nicholas Papavero rated it liked it
She was very important and interesting if u like Lewis and Clark this has to do with them a lot so I'd read it! Great person!
Audrie Estrada
May 14, 2015 Audrie Estrada rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction:
-I really liked this book because it gives a wonderful history of Sacagawea while still keeping it interesting. Its not one of those boring biographies that are really hard to read. It has pictures on every page and the words are simple.

Purpose/Use in the classroom:
-This would be a great read aloud if you were doing a social studies lesson on the Lewis and Clark Expedition and you wanted to do a day on the impact she had on the journey that they took. The class can take a jou
Nancy
Jul 28, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
Recommended to Nancy by: Nobody
I read a kindle version in English. I learned many things about Sacagawea, that I had never known before the reading. She was an amazing young woman. I didn't know she had been stolen from her people, and then sold to a man, to become one of his wives. She was pregnant by the time she was 15. Lewis and Clark needed someone who could speak with the Shoshone's, as they traveled, so they could trade for horses, to get over the mountains. I didn't know about her husband and her son.

I didn't think t
Mary
Sep 07, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: elementary aged children
Shelves: homeschool
This series looks really juvenile from the cover, but they actually contain a lot of useful information. This one was particularly informative, not just on Sacagawea, but covers what led up to the Louisiana Purchase, events during the Corps of Discovery and what happened later (byond M. Lewis' untimely death). We read many books on Lewis and Clark during our study and this was one of only a handful that discussed the fact that Clark later adopted "Pomp" to raise with his own ten(?) children and ...more
1 Elizabeth
Nov 01, 2012 1 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
This book is very interesting, and it gives you a lot of information on Sacagawea. It is not boring like you might think. This book goes in chronological order, because there are dates and it is in order of past to most recent. There is information on Lewis and Clark, info on Sacgawea's tribe, info on Thomas Jefferson, etc. There where some hard times tat the explorers had to go through, but they did, and Sacagawea did it all with a baby on her back! She was an important person in american histo ...more
Niyah Lowman
May 22, 2013 Niyah Lowman rated it liked it
If you ever need some basic information on Sacagawea here is the book to read. It just gives basic facts about Sacagawea's life. Like when Louis and Clark found Sacagawea, a Cherokee Native American and they all embarked on their long journey exploring land together. This book basically gives you all of the basics on her life and why she's important to what we know of today as the United States. So if you ever have a report or anything like such and Sacagawea is your topic you can use this book ...more
Logan B
May 16, 2014 Logan B rated it really liked it
Who Was Sacagawea? is an excellent source of facts on her life. What made me choose this book? I chose this book because I hardly knew any information on Sacagawea. My favorite part was when she was reunited with her family on their journey west. My least favorite part was at the beginning when they were talking about how she was kidnapped from her tribe and sold. I liked in the book when she helped translate with an Indian tribe to get their crew heading west horses. Anyone looking for basic in ...more
Caylee
Dec 02, 2011 Caylee rated it really liked it
i think of this book really impressive buy when Sacagawea's tribe was getting attacked by another tribe and Sacagawea is captured and was forced to marry this man which she really didn't want to and she had a baby girl which she was forced the give her daughter away with another parents which she was sad so then she got really sick and then she had another baby and it was a boy and it's nick name is Pomp and she loved him always!
Esther May
Oct 28, 2013 Esther May rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, explorers
And to think that the success of one of one of the greatest expeditions depended on a woman. We really enjoyed reading about Sacagawea. She was brave, loyal, tough, and important. I have a hard time thinking about traveling all the way that she did, and then I remember that she had a baby on her back. Amazing.
Kittykat797
Jan 18, 2011 Kittykat797 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
I love this author's biographies! The author finds a way to keep the readers interested. I think it is the fact that the author doesn't state any boring facts. The author only puts interesting facts in her books. Like, did u know that Sacagawea was only 15-16 years old when she had her baby boy, Jean? Jean was called Pomp and was born on February 11. ( I cannot remember what year )
I like it!!!
Katie
Nov 11, 2015 Katie rated it did not like it
Eh. Not a lot of detail (not terribly surprising), but the structure of the book left something to be desired. There was a great deal about Lewis & Clark and points discuss the fact that Clark raised her children--but before we even know that she had a second child. I think it would be a bit more of a confusing read. There's almost too much data missing.
Elizabeth
Jun 09, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Personally I'd give this three stars - I found it a little dull - but my kids (3 and 7) loved it. I appreciated the fact that it did not glorify colonialism (much). Sacagawea remains pretty mysterious, since we only have second hand accounts, but I was actually glad not to read a fictional or romantic interpretation of who she might have been.
Courtney
Dec 14, 2013 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: 261
This is a really good informational book for elementary and early middle school students. It had a lot of basic knowledge and facts in it. One might think a book all about history and Sacagawea might be boring but I thought it was interesting. Even though the pictures were simple and black and white, I thought they were great and made the book come to life more.
Stacy
Sep 03, 2007 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: grades 1 and up
My daughter and I shared this as a read aloud during spring of 1st grade, and we were both enthralled. The writing was clear but riveting, with an appropriate number of pictures. We still reference things we both learned in this book.
We have since picked up several other biographies from this publisher and are hoping they are just as good.
Elaina Carsten
Jul 28, 2015 Elaina Carsten rated it it was amazing
I read this while I was in the Library. Just to tell you the Library is a good place to read because it is quiet. I really liked this book because I like learning about Sacagawea. I also really like the "Who Was.." books.
Julie
Jun 28, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
I love this series in general, but this particular one is more of a story about Lewis & Clark than Sacagawea. I know there are gaps in her record, but I was hoping for some new perspective. Still, an interesting book for this age group.
Ci
Jan 21, 2015 Ci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spanish
Excellent reading material for first year Spanish learner. I also learned -- for the first time -- the brave India young woman Sacagawea who guided Lewis and Clark's expedition through much danger and risk.
Marie Lichte
Sep 27, 2009 Marie Lichte rated it it was amazing
A well written historical fiction about the life of the famous Indian tracker who helped Lewis and Clark on their famous exploration. Fully illustrated to help depict the life and adventures this heroine experienced.
Miriam Garcia
Nov 27, 2010 Miriam Garcia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-studies
This is a very informative and fun book that 3rd -5th graders would enjoy reading. It tells the story of a young girl who helped Lewis and Clark in their expedision and discoveriea, all while carring her baby on her back. The book offers great facts along with fun illustarions.
Kendall
Apr 18, 2016 Kendall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was about a woman who helped two men, Lewis and Clark, on an expedition. Without her, the men might not have made the journey alive. I loved this book as kid because I thought of the adventures she had. I would use this book to demonstrate adventure and history on her life.
Megan
Jan 24, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing
It was about her trip with Lewis and Clark. She had a baby named Pomp. If you like history, you should read this book.
Shannon Clark
Nov 13, 2012 Shannon Clark rated it really liked it
Great little biography. I never realized that her husband went on the trip also. :) Learn something new each day from my world of books!!
Illeyana
Mar 16, 2015 Illeyana rated it really liked it
This is a great source for information on Sacagawea. It also includes facts about some of the key player that made the story possible.
Sandy D.
Good information, but the presentation was a bit pedestrian.
Derek
Nov 01, 2013 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
historcal
  • Who Was Harriet Tubman?
  • Who Was Annie Oakley?
  • Who Was Ben Franklin?
  • Who Was Ferdinand Magellan?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Thomas Alva Edison?
  • Who Was Queen Elizabeth?
  • Who Was Mark Twain?
  • Who Was King Tut?
  • Who Was William Shakespeare?
  • Who Was Anne Frank?
  • Who Was Ronald Reagan?
  • Who Was Helen Keller?
  • Who Was Harry Houdini?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Marco Polo?
  • Who Was Elvis Presley?
Judith Fradin has co-authored more than three dozen children’s and young adult books with her husband, renowned writer Dennis Fradin. Starting in the 1990s, Judy began helping Dennis research and write the From Sea to Shining Sea state book series for Children's Press. When those books were completed, the Fradins collaborated on Who was Sagagawea?

Their next joint venture, the Clarion young adult b
More about Judith Bloom Fradin...

Who Was/Is...? (1 - 10 of 128 books)
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Who Was Alexander the Great?
  • Who Was Alfred Hitchcock?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Andy Warhol?