Hardwiring Excellence: Purpose, Worthwhile Work, Making a Difference

Hardwiring Excellence: Purpose, Worthwhile Work, Making a Difference

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Hardwiring Excellence offers a road map and practical how-to guide for creating and sustaining a culture of service and operational excellence.
Published March 1st 2004 by Fire Starter Publishing (first published September 1st 2003)

Shaun
This is an excellent book on how to improve your workplace, accomplish much, and cultivate a positive culture and workplace environment. Quint Studer hits it out of the park with much useful advice. I got so much out of this book. It has a healthcare slant, but it can be applied to any work place.I highly recommend this to any one who wants to improve their work culture or anyone who manages people. I thoroughly enjoyed the stories and advice, a must read.
Christa
once you get the past the author's braggadocio...the gist of book is kindergarden manners, be kind, be polite, share, use common sense etc. Its the new thing for a lot of medical facilities, easy quick read.
Kristin
If you are in a leadership position at a healthcare organization and want to make a difference for employees, patients, and physicians, this is a must-read. Solid advice that works!
Shh I'm reading!
Really fast read to be nonfiction and had some useful information. Just wished that half that book wasn't an add for how great the Studer Group method was for more trainings.
Aaron
** Sorry, I read this book a few days ago, and I don't have it in front of me. The details may seem a bit fuzzy because I'm paraphrasing from memory. Does not mean that this book should be overlooked, though. **

Although focused on the health care industry, a lot of the advice and thought in this book can be applied to any industry. At its core, it's a book about engaging employees and improving the experience for the customer. Some of the basic ideas include: rewarding and recognizing good/great...more
Tedjimsmith
There are many things that I intend to implement in my department.
The one thing that I don't like are the behaviors associated with the patient survey. If you are going to do things just because you want the patient to answer the question on a survey, are you really providing excellent patient care? The patient survey should be a judge of how well employees perform, not did we get the patient to think about the question and influence their response. There was something about that which I really...more
Jenna
I was given this book by our hospital president to read as a welcome gift onto the hospital's patient satisfaction team. Our hospital implements many of the things that were mentioned in this book so it was nice to see that all of these initiatives were not something that the people who get paid the big bucks within the organization made up on their own. They are tried and true tactics that work! Very enlightening book!
This is an excellent book, but it makes everything seem easier than it is. The processes inside of a large company like the one I work for are carefully planned. It's not always that easy. I can see where smaller hospitals have less of a hard time with this, but we are trying to please the patients of every single socioeconomic and diverse group in the book. We spend months working through kinks in our systems.
Dmw
Our hospital is working with the Studer Group to implement this system. A very comprehensive system that will change and make our hospital a great place to work. Because the system is hardwired into the everyday practises of the employees it is sustainable and will last. Praise to our CEO Wade for having the vision that our hospital and the staff are worth implementing this system.
Karen Cooley
This is a great book for a specific audience. If you are in management in the healthcare industry in particular, this book is for you. If you are a physician, this book is for you. If you are in management anywhere, this book to some degree can be a learning experience. It is about understanding that listening to the needs of our employees can grow a first class organization.
Daniel Kasbohm
I read this book for work. I echo others in that much of the advice within seems to be common sense, but sometimes in business (and especially in healthcare) that is precisely what is lacking. I loved the author's real stories and his knack for reading people and then satisfying them. A good quick read.
Claire
Mar 13, 2010 Claire rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone in healthcare management
I loved this book. A must read for anyone in Healthcare Management. Full of good suggestions on how to be more effective as a manager. Will use many of these ideas
Diana
Had to read this for work and it is a good book. Practical information that you can use in your daily work to achieve results for you, your staff and your customers.
Shawn
Lots of common sense ideas, but a great plan for execution. Our hospital network is working with Studer Group. I look forward to seeing our implementation of it.
Joy
This book is at the top of my "To Read" list as it came highly recommended by a number of individuals at the most recent conference I attended.
Chris
It has to do with Healthcare and working within the field. Well written but prob not engaging to those who are not in healthcare.
Emily
Business model for healthcare that focuses on the employees. Model is replicable for other industries too!
Caroline
Some great insights into making organisations their best by harnassing the power of people in simple ways
Andrea
Basically common sense, but gives you tools to measure progress and make it part of the routine.
Marie Bukowski
"Great read. Quint's stories and experience transcend well beyond the healthcare industry! "
Nancy
If a company can follow the steps in this book it is certainly somewhere I want to work.
Mark Kershaw
Some good basic priciples that could be applied in any industry.
Emily
Nov 04, 2012 Emily added it
Very motivating! Makes you want to go out there a conquer the world!
Regina
If you are interested in service excellence issues, good book.
Lauren
Great book for anyone managing in the healthcare field.
Contreboy
An eye opener of costumer service, very good
Cassie Krestakos
Way too long, like most business books.
Aaron Poole
Aaron Poole marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Results That Last: Hardwiring Behaviors That Will Take Your Company to the Top Straight a Leadership: Alignment, Action, Accountability The HCAHPS Handbook: Hardwire Your Hospital for Pay-For-Performance Success A Culture of High Performance: Achieving Higher Quality at a Lower Cost The Great Employee Handbook