Start by marking “Amplified Bible” as Want to Read:
Amplified Bible

Amplified Bible

4.68 of 5 stars 4.68  ·  rating details  ·  3,124 ratings  ·  62 reviews
The Amplified Bible captures the full meaning behind the original Greek and Hebrew.
Published September 21st 2010 by Zondervan (first published July 27th 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Amplified Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amplified Bible

Sonya
One of my favorite Bibles. I adore the richness. I just have to share a sample of what I mean.

For the general public of the United States (where I live) the beginning of the 23rd Psalm is one of the most familiar quotations from not only The Bible but from *any* book: "The Lord is my shepherd" Those words are rich, powerful, meaningful to many people in many circumstances.

Here are those same words "amplified": "The Lord is my shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me]"

When I read the Amplified B
Mikey
I've read the Amplified version three times from cover to cover (2002, 2005, 2008)

Basically representative of a literal "word-for-word" translation drawing on various previous English translations such as Wycliff and Tyndale as well as Bible dictionaries, lexicons, commentaries, etc. for amplification. Based on the American Standard Version of 1901.

The Amplified version says of itself:

"Not an attempt to duplicate what has been achieved by previous translators nor is it intended to be a substit
7jane
I have currently five different Bibles in use, and this is the only non-Catholic, English-language one. It's definitely a very enjoyable one and I looked forward to reading it every evening.

The maps were useful and quite a few times I found myself turning to look at each map as I was reading the text. The notes at the bottom of the page were also much fun and revealing, especially in the Old Testament part; for example, they helped me realise the depth of Solomon's mistakes (not just about givin
Kristy
No, I still haven't managed to read through the entire Bible from cover to cover...most of it, but still having some trouble with Leviticus. :P Anyway, unlike any other book, this is obviously something you keep reading and reading, and you're never done with it. I love the Amplified version; a friend suggested it once and I tried it out just to see if I would agree (was a die-hard NIV fan before), and I do. Very good; I love the extra definitions in parenthesis...it really helps. And I love the ...more
Bellestar
I truly enjoy this Bible. I am working on a 30 Day Reading Plan, by Professor Horner's. It has been a challenge. You can't get behind on your reading, it is a hard to catch up. I find reading the Amplified during this program has provided more information in the scripture.
Bri Malan
I am learning about how God works in the hearts of men. I am learning what ways things are taught, learning about the ten commandments, and the golden rule, and the blessings that we get from following the words of the Lord. It is a blessing to me in my life. I love it!
Toni
I find the Amplified Bible very helpful when studying the Word of God. It lists the different word translations so you can get a good picture of scripture meanings.
Wade
Feb 19, 2012 Wade added it
"The Book" is the worlds greatest Book!

Unfortunately whoever perpared this e-book edition did a particularly poor job in its presentation.

From the contents we should be able to "tap" a book and jump to that book. We should then be able to "tap" a chapter number and jump to the chapter number. It would also be extremely good to be able to then have a list of the verse numbers and be able to "tap" a number and go to the verse.

It would be absolutely super IF there were a "search" option, to be able
Cinkoe
Reading the Bible is an each day thing for me, so this will never be in the "completed" list. Someone came up with the idea that BIBLE is an acronym for "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth," and I appreciate that. As a Christian, I believe the Bible to be the Word of God. To begin to understand the Bible, you have to know who is being talked about and/or to whom a passage refers, you need to know the nature of God as shown by Jesus (went about doing good and never was it said He harmed anyo ...more
Janet
Actually, I alternated this with the King James but this one is on my kindle and I did read it all electronically. First time ever that I got through the whole Bible without skipping chapters when I have slack times. I also used blueletterbible.org to organize my reading chronologically.
Andrew Rose
A good reference Bible

My pastor often references the Greek or Hebrew wording in his sermons and how the words can determine the meanings. This Bible has helped me the get a clearer understanding of what he was talking about while also being very readable.
Katie Regan
Amplified is my favorite version. It's for word nerds, those who love the look and feel of letters and words, the many ways of stringing them together to express different shades of thought, intent and experience. A feast for wordies.
S. Sloan
The Amplified Bible really explains the scriptures so that anyone can get a better understanding of the Word of God.
Kim
Psalm 19: 1-2

1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows and proclaims His handiwork.
2 Day after day pours forth speech, and night after night shows forth knowledge.

Ephesians 2:10

10 For we are God’s [own] handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and ma
Kevin Driskill
The Amplified Bible can be very daunting to read for some because it gives explanation in the text. It is a dynamic equivalent so it tells you what the bible means as much as what it says. The great benefit of this lies in the fact that biblical languages very rich in meaning so the idea is that nothing is lost in the translation. Very good for supplementing understanding of a passage, but I would not recommend this as your only bible.
Jon Wexford
Very good edition of the Bible in eBook form.
Danny T
This version is great for study, research, understanding, or digging deeper, more in depth as in for satisfying a desire to more fully and completely knowing what the Bible says and or could have said.
(I amplified my recommendation as an example of the Amplified version... it is a bit redundant.. and says the same thing over and over again... and again.)

Truthfully, I really like it.
Bill
Overall, I would say that this translation can be helpful as a reference tool for comparing with other versions when doing Bible Study Because of the way it attempts to give fuller renderings of the original languages where it is difficult to use one word to express the meaning of the Hebrew or Greek, the readability is sacrificed.
Lisa
I absolutely love the Amplified Bible! The synonyms listed on many hard to understand words aid the reader in understanding exactly what the scripture says. This is THE Bible to use when doing an in depth study. Take note that this Bible is a little harder to read than most; however, when doing Bible studies it is the best!
Mitzi Rochelle Huddleston
Sometimes I still read this version of the Bible when I want to take a break from reading the KJV.
Jim
The Amplified Bible definitely adds to the English versions, but it sometimes OVER amplifies to the point where it's meaning may be stretched beyond the meaning in context of a passage. Also, some use this as a main Bible or like it is 100% accurate. I like it but don't recommend it as your main Bible.
Chris brown
a good "go to" bible, more than just a read threw like the NIV, but with actual and correct words that can correspond right back to the greek and hebrew. which helped (me at least) get an Ideal of what was originally written (unlike the JKV which i grew up with and now can not stand)
Dave Jones
A good reference if you want to look up a fuller meaning (according to the original languages) of a specific bible passage. My edition was lacking on some of the helps. Generally, I would stick to the online amplified versions on those occasions when I want to dig deeper into a passage.
Jodi Woody
I try to read thru the bible every year.It took l little longer to read this version, but I love all the cross referencing and the added info. Parts may get a little redundant, however it does get the meanings into your heart. Of course I give it 5 stars! It's God's word!
Caught Red Handed
My very favorite!! I'm always "currently reading" this book. Amplified version is my favorite because it clarifies what the scripture means right within the texts, no doubts left. Plus, it is also a very poetic version.
O'Fallon Public Library
I used to only use the King James version of the Bible, but recently I began to read the Amplified Bible. This is so much easier! The stories really come alive now that the "thees, thous and begats" have been removed! :)
Peter

Excellent study bible but somewhat clumsy in the reading
Enlightening compound translation that attempts to give a fuller idea of original language use, illustrating nuances that may have been lost in translation.
Lisa
Oct 20, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Lisa by: Ruth Spragg
This is breathing new life into scripture that I thought I already "knew". I picked up a small travel size New Testament that has served as a great resource but not to replace my beloved, marked-up NIV.
Marmie
ABSOLUTELY NUMBER ONE! My Bible has all my favorite passages highlighted and underlined. I have read it multiple times and hope to read it every day for the rest of my life.
Chris
I love this book but sadly the paperbook is too small to conveniently read (if you need reading glasses). They need to make a larger print edition of this book.
Authorship of God's Word 2 11 Aug 11, 2012 03:27PM
Shelving the Bible on Goodreads 1 7 Mar 27, 2010 02:33PM
  • The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible
  • Complete Jewish Bible : An English Version of the Tanakh (Old Testament) and B'Rit Hadashah (New Testament)
  • Me and My Big Mouth!: Your Answer is Right Under Your Nose
  • Dressed to Kill: A Biblical Approach to Spiritual Warfare and Armor
  • Intercessory Prayer: How God Can Use Your Prayers to Move Heaven & Earth
  • The God Chasers: My Soul Follows Hard After Thee
  • The Rules Of Engagement: The Art of Strategic Prayer and Spiritual Warfare
  • Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible: Complete and Unabridged in One Volume
  • Good Morning, Holy Spirit
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict
  • Culture of Honor: Sustaining a Supernatural Environment
  • Self Incrimination
  • The Final Quest
  • The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life (Hendrickson Christian Classics)
  • No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross
  • Halley's Bible Handbook
  • The Blood Covenant
  • Breaking Intimidation: Say "No" Without Feeling Guilty.  Be Secure Without the Approval of Man
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights Holy Bible: New International Version The Epic of Gilgamesh The Bhagavad Gita

“8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, and to love kindness and mercy, and to humble yourself and walk humbly with your God?” 1 likes
“And the Pharisees and scribes kept asking [Jesus], Why do Your disciples not order their way of living according to the tradition handed down by the forefathers [to be observed], but eat with hands unwashed and ceremonially not purified?” 1 likes