Start by marking “Flash, Crash, Rumble, & Roll” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Flash, Crash, Rumble, ...

Franklyn Mansfield Branley

Flash, Crash, Rumble, & Roll (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  146 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews

Did you know that lightning bolts can be over a mile long? Or that they may come from clouds that are ten miles high? Storms can be scary, but not if you know what causes them. Before the next thunderstorm, grab this book by veteran science team Franklyn Branley and True Kelley and learn what causes the flash, crash, rumble, and roll of thunderstorms!

Published December 1st 1964 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Flash, Crash, Rumble, & Roll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flash, Crash, Rumble, & Roll

Keegan
Oct 18, 2014 Keegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pic-book-science
Again, this was on the Joy School curriculum list for Joy of the Earth. Sometimes the Joy of the Earth books are just about how pretty the earth is, but this had more than just an emotional angle, it was scientific about storms. It was really informative. I don't know that my kids will remember a lot from it after just checking it out of the library once, but when we talk about storms in science it would be worth bringing back to the house and of course next year when we return to this Joy Schoo ...more
Nicola Mansfield
My review is of the original 1964 Ed Emberley illustrated edition. The current volume for sale has revised text and new illustrations. In fact, this book has been through a few revisions through the years. The text of this edition is a little out-dated, we don't really use terms like "sonic boom" anymore and frankly the text isn't exactly entertaining either. I usually am quite fond of Branley's contributions to this series but he became a little dry and technical with this one as he does fit a ...more
Ashley Lewis
Feb 26, 2014 Ashley Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: february
I love learning about the weather, so maybe I'm a little bias.. But I really enjoyed reading this picture book! It is one of those books that does a great job at making confusing concepts very fun and easy! It is a great book for learning about the weather and why it is the way it is. I know children would learn a lot from this book. I know I did! There are lot of fun facts that I know would interest and entertain kids.
Julianna
Feb 27, 2014 Julianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: february
LOVE THIS BOOK! Its great 'cause its interesting and is very informative. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and think that kids would like it too! It talks about what to and not to do in a thunderstorm, how to tell how far the lightning is , how rain clouds are formed, and much more. Really interesting stuff, and it also explains things in ways that are easy to understand which is good when teaching to all ages.
Ruth
The most informative book of several I looked at about how lightning and thunder are made, and how to keep yourself safe.
Heidi
Another science book meant for young audiences, but I found this one more interestig because it was specifically about lightning and thunder. I wish I'd had this book while growing up. Then I would have had a source to back me up when I tried to tell my friend that lightning did not come from the ground up. (Except for more in-depth circumstances that I won't go into right now.) It's nice to know I'm not the only one who counts between lightning and thunder (a result of watching "Castaways" many ...more
Elanor
All by herself!
Jack
Oct 27, 2014 Jack rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, grade-3
It sucks.
Renee' Viness
May 28, 2013 Renee' Viness rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe my copy of this book was more blue and purplish. Regardless, it has always been one of my favorite books for children, when it comes to weather. I got my first copy when I was a child in the 1960's and read it to my brother. In the 1980's, I read it to my children and when I found another copy, I bought it for my grandchildren. Ironically, I haven't seen the last one since we were hit by a tornado in December of 2008. I WILL buy another one.
Winddancer
Okay, this was the first book we got for our son that was science related. We'll probably end up buying the whole series. Awesome, awesome, awesome series, accurate and easily understood scientific reasons for how/why our world works. My husband found this series after scouring the internet for hours looking for books about thunderstorms. Highly recommended series!!!
Restokes92
This book offers a simple breakdown to why lightning storms occur and why thunder makes the sound it makes. This book is enjoyable because it offers a simple breakdown of a complex process in nature. I would definitely use this with my children by combining ELA and Science so that students can learn science as well as grow their reading skills.
Kelli Dana
Science Content:
This book is great for teaching students about meteorology or even the basics of weather.
This book can be used in Kindergarten when introducing the basics about weather or it can really be used in any aspect where weather/meteorology is being discussed. Probably best for younger grades.
Kelly Whelchel
Science Grade K-1 Fiction Topic: Weather

Great for introducing weather. Teaching the different types of weather. The first week of school, teach this different weather conditions so that when the class does weather calendar, the students know what each weather conditions is.
Erin
Apr 06, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book students will learn how a thunderstorm evolves. They will learn how the air temperature and amount of moisture create changes in the weather. There are great pictures to provide visual aides for students. This book also provides simple experiments to try.
Books Kids Like
This book is very informative. You will learn how the big cumulonimbus clouds that signal thunder storms are made, how to tell the distance of the storm by counting the seconds between lightning and thunder, and how to protect yourself from lightning.
Deborah Harris
RL 2.25 GRL-K

AR Quiz No. 13813 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.3 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Yadira
Apr 13, 2012 Yadira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, weather
This book explores clouds, lightening, and thunderstorms. It would be a great book to use for a science lesson on storms and how they form.
Heather Ledet
This book would be good for Kindergarten and first grade. It describes how to keep safe during a storm and also has some fun activities.
Audrey Harlan
Nov 27, 2010 Audrey Harlan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This is a great book to use when talking about thunderstorms and how they are formed. This seems like a really good series.
Christy
Feb 10, 2010 Christy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Great explanations of weather, how thunderstorms are formed, the process of clouds, all about electricity and thunderstorms.
Tuyet Tran
Nov 22, 2010 Tuyet Tran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Clouds,rains,thunder,and lightning. This is a safety precaution for children to know when thunder is coming.
Jenny Wright
Nice, informative weather information in a storybook format. Great illustrations by True Keliey.
Robin E.
Feb 13, 2014 Robin E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-sl-science
A fun science book that is among the first my kids can read themselves.
Matthew
Sep 13, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kinda good.
Katie Grasso
Katie Grasso marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Erika
Erika added it
Jul 11, 2016
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • What Will the Weather Be?
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • Fossils Tell of Long Ago
  • Who Eats What?: Food Chains and Food Webs
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Weather Words And What They Mean
  • No Fighting, No Biting!
  • Tales of Amanda Pig: Level 2

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2 (1 - 10 of 80 books)
  • Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean
  • Almost Gone: The World's Rarest Animals
  • The Sky Is Full of Stars
  • My Visit to the Dinosaurs
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Wiggling Worms at Work
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Mission to Mars