Start by marking “The Access Bible, New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha (Paperback 9872A)” as Want to Read:
The Access Bible, New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha (Paperback 9872A)

The Access Bible, New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha (Paperback 9872A)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Modern readers of the Bible are time travelers visiting a society and culture very different from their own. Strange customs, unfamiliar words and novel concepts encountered in the Bible's pages can make understanding the Word of God a real challenge.

The Access Bible is friendly to people who've never studied the Bible before. Yes, it presents the most current scholarship,
Published August 5th 1999 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 393)

Be the first to ask a question about The Access Bible, New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha

Bethany
Having studied religion from an historical perspective for a number of years, I truly appreciate the comprehensive nature of the footnotes in the HarperCollins edition. Explanations of the spiritual or supernatural tones in the passages are often specific to particular branches of faith and would render many study Bibles invalid for anyone not approaching the text within that branch. This Bible discusses few of those issues, allowing individual readers their own perspectives and beliefs.

Being a
Tommy Grooms
This is a translation which manages to strike a very good balance between literalism and modern readability (at least, that's what I can tell from looking back and forth between difficult verses in different translations - I'm no scholar, and I certainly don't know Hebrew or Greek!).

What I was really using this Bible for, however, was the notes, of which there are quite a few (it's more like a collection of notes with a bible attached). The focus is very academic. The goal seems to be presenting
Meryld
Always wanted to read the Holy Bible cover to cover, and now I will over the next 34 weeks through Disciple sessions beginning Sep 2010. My good friend asked today, "What's 34 weeks of your time on earth if eternity in Heaven is your reward?" Nodded my head and replied, "That's kind of how I see it." Don't want this left on my bucket list. ;~)

New entry - Well finished the Disciple class in May, and read the Bible essentially cover to cover (not every verse of course). However I still need to rea
Caroline
On the invention of detail -- did it happen in the novel or here?

"My heart is indeed like wine
that has no vent;
like new wineskins, it is ready to burst,
I must speak, so that I may find relief;
I must open my lips and answer." (Job, 32:19)

"I am poured out like water
and all my bones are out of joint;
my heart is like wax;
it is melted within my breast,
my mouth is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to my jaws;
you lay in me like a dust of death." (Psalm 22)

Also, to be clear, I read this for
Lauren
Hard to rate this book, given that there are several camps in terms of the perspective for approaching this book. Personally, I was reading this book as literature, to get some background on literary references and themes I see constantly when reading fiction in general.

I don't really have the tools to gauge the quality of this particular edition of the Bible, but it was recommended on a reading list for literature perspective. I didn't spot any inaccuracies, and the footnotes were supremely he
Jacob Aitken
One of my hobbies in college (when I was still a baptist and the most important crisis of the day was making sure the moderates didn’t gain control of the seminaries) was surveying various study bibles (often those of liberal persuasion) and examining their ideological presuppositions. The classic example was the Oxford Study Bible (Revised Standard Version). I looked at evangelical study bibles, too, but the liberal ones were always more interesting.

Back in the day the reigning paradigm of unbe
Chris
Apr 15, 2008 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Protestants, Catholics, Orthodox Christians, and Jews
Recommended to Chris by: My Professors
I bought this Bible for my studies in college. It includes the books of the Old and New Testaments with the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books. The Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books aren't in standard Protestant Christian Bibles, but are found in the Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, and/or Slavonic Orthodox Bibles. These include Tobit, Judith, The Additions to the Book of Esther, Wisdom of Solomon, Ecclesiasticus or the Wisdom of Jesus Son of Sirach, Baruch, The Letter of Jeremiah, The Additions t ...more
Patrick
I haven't read the whole bible yet. I mainly enjoy the New Testament and Psalms/Proverbs. I could never hope to read it in a year. Sometimes I may chew on one verse for a week. It is so rich. I wish I had a love of the scriptures above all things, but I am easily distracted. So I walk away from them for awhile and then come back after a while and am enthralled for a week... then I wander off and then come back. Its kind of the same with prayer. I once asked a buddy if he had trouble with his min ...more
Betsy Boo
Aug 26, 2009 Betsy Boo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Ok...so I decided to read the Bible because I had never read it all the way through and I realized that I wanted to be able to comment when people use Bible passages for their own purposes. I had read the NT a bunch of times but only read a little of the OT. Well, I have to say it is kind of freaking me out. There are a lot of drawbacks to reading something that was translated from another language, especially a dead language and I can't help but think that maybe someone got some of it wrong. In ...more
Jack Townsend
I prefer the The New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha edited by Coogan and Brettler. The biblical text is the same -- NRSV -- but I generally prefer the New Oxford's footnotes and comments.
Jeff
Great translation on the literal/formal equivalent end. I think it's more carefully translated than the ESV, even though I like the use of words like propitiation in the ESV.
Jonathan
This is an excellent translation and a great study Bible. For academic study of the text I recommend this translation over any other. However, as with most study Bibles, you must keep in mind that the notes for any particular book in here will have been written by a single author, and as a result are going to be focused on that particular interpreter's perspective. If you can, I'd recommend getting several other competent study Bibles in addition to this one. (and, of course, continuing to read ...more
Michelle Cavalier
How does one review the Bible? What I will say is this: if you are looking for a study bible with a scholarly/historical bent this is the way to go! Other bibles I've read have been annotated from a spiritual/life application perspective, but the HaperCollins Study Bible is a just-the-facts version. The notes and essays are great and really helped me to see the progression of Christian thought. I definitely recommend a cover to cover reading; why don't more people do that?
Alicia
The HC Study Bible is brimming with footnotes and really great for understanding etymology, cultural context, etc., in the collected writings of the Bible. I've owned a copy for several years and pull it off the shelf from time to time. Most recently I reread the Gospel of Mark (the earliest of the canonical Gospels believed to have been written down about AD 70) and Luke (which used Mark as a source).
Brian Reagan
Apr 25, 2012 Brian Reagan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: justin imel, dennis hudgins
Overall this is an excellent study Bible. It is from an historical theological tradition, but is also fairly liberal in its approach and application of the Scripture. Throughout the text are "excurses" and other helpful tools on words and doctrines. Whether a reader agrees with the theological perspectives of this study Bible it is sure to challenge and deepen one's own faith.
Jenny
Oct 07, 2008 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
The footnotes and maps in this version are extremely helpful. Many of the more vague and ambiguous passages are clarified in the footnotes and various interpretations of the meanings of the stories are presented in introductions before each book. This is a great study bible for those wishing to read the Bible to be knowledgeable, even if they choose not to be religious.
Patti McDermott
This is one of several bibles I read intermittantly. It is my favorite to date. I would have preferred the hard-bound version, the the host was prohibitive. Maybe one day. This was recommended to me by one of the nuns working in the catholic bookshop I went to. She uses this version as her study bible.
Loren
Johnathan
Sep 30, 2008 Johnathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Johnathan by: My Pastor
The Bible, by God, is the best book ever! Not only that, but it's completly true!

A Must-Read For Everybody!
(Of course a different version is okay too)

I would rate it a 1,000,000,000,000,000 out of 5!
Kim
I guess this should be on my now reading list, since I try to read it at least two or three times a week, but it would never actually leave the list, and my compulsion to finish things would nag at me every time I saw it...
Charlie Koo
One problem I found in the subtitle of Job 5. "God corrects Jacob." The extended monologue is not interrupted by God as this subtitle would suggest. It is Eliphaz, speaking all the way through.
Andy
This is the Lutheran standard nowadays. Its translations are more accurate overall compared to the KJV I believe, but it tends to soften the translation up a bit. For pastoral reasons perhaps?
Jeff
yep, every last page, so i could garner any wisdom i could from it, to meditate on the teachings of my childhood faith, and so i could say i read it all at least once in my life.
Margaret
Jun 18, 2008 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Dr. Bob Durham
Shelves: bibles, own
This Bible is the required Bible for some of my freshman classes at college. I went all out and purchased the Leather version and it was the best investment I made during school.
Pam
I actually have only read the apocrypha from this bible, but I liked the Maccabee story a lot, plus I wrote a kick-butt essay on it....so good memeories :)
Eric Cherry
30 days into a "read the bible in a year" program using biblereader app on iPad. Nice way to look at paralells and quick access to bible dictionary, too.
Ike
I don't love this translation and this version is annoying because the study notes take up half the page. To much stuff distracting me from reading the text.
Megan
What is there to say? It speaks for itself.

(I'm not trying to alienate anyone who is not Christian, simply providing my feelings about the Bible.)
Kim
This is a "readable" version of the King James bible. English is still beautiful while also more understandable because of updated language.
Rodney
5/23/11 - John 11 - the raising of Lazarus.
5/24/11 - john 12 - Jesus entrance into Jerusalem, the Greeks, Jesus speaks of his death.
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • The Jewish Study Bible
  • The New Oxford Annotated Bible, New Revised Standard Version
  • Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures
  • Sacred Trash: The Lost and Found World of the Cairo Geniza
  • Paul: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Women's Bible Commentary with Apocrypha (Expanded Edition)
  • The Bible with Sources Revealed
  • Jesus: A Pilgrimage
  • Theology: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Presocratic Philosophers: A Critical History with a Selection of Texts
  • Scripture and the Authority of God: How to Read the Bible Today
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version Life Application Study Bible: NIV