Start by marking “Alien Landscapes” as Want to Read:
Alien Landscapes

Alien Landscapes

Alien worlds have always been a central excitement in science fiction. Imaginary landscapes, some surreal, others realistic, are highly important to the novels in which they are contained. Many of these worlds are carefully contructed, realistically detailed and vividly imagined.

Alien Landscapes explores ten of the best-known worlds with a detailed text explaining their hi
Published November 1st 1979 by W.H. Smith Publishers (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Alien Landscapes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alien Landscapes

Andrew
Jan 22, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although not officially a Paper Tiger publication I still consider it one. It takes the subject of some of the most famous and well loved science fiction stories and looks at their most iconic locations - from Dune's Arrakis to Foundations Trantor and the worlds of the Time Machine. They are lavishly rendered in this full colour large format book. Now I will admit that not all the artwork is to my liking but it does bring these stories to life and from there (well at least for me) it brings my ...more
Josh
Sep 11, 2016 Josh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction, art
This is an oversize collection of stunning artwork and fun descriptions of a handful of notable sci-fi worlds, written non-fictionally, like a giant travel guide and as though they all exist in the same universe. Lots of fun features like a huge galactic timeline, a fake newspaper from Trantor, references from the Encyclopedia Galactica.

I was flipping through my copy of this book again and thought I should check it in on Goodreads because I love is so darn much. I grew up with this in the house
F.P.
May 19, 2015 F.P. rated it it was amazing
This was the very first book I ever bought, from one of the Waldenbooks chain stores. I was a kid with no money then. I saved up for months so I could afford to buy this because I had fallen in love with it at first sight! (How could I not love the fabulous cover-art image especially?)

Many years later, I've been re-viewing and re-reading it--and finding it just as awesome as it was to me back then. I wish there were many more books like it, only they seem hard to come by, especially now.

But Alie
Feliks
Jan 04, 2013 Feliks rated it liked it
Shelves: immature-choices
Its a superb, large-format, glossy, coffee-table art book filled with artist's renderings of famous SF literary 'worlds'. Very powerful and entrancing to flip through. A must-have for any fans of 'Dune'; 'Pern'; 'Earthsea'; 'Pern'; etc

Here are the 'worlds' depicted:

Ringworld (Niven)
Trantor (Asimov)
Hothouse (Aldiss)
Eros (Harry Harrison)
End of the World (HG Wells)
Judity
Aug 26, 2012 Judity rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I own many art books related to science fiction, a favorite genre of mine since childhood. In this book, I get to see the Okie Cities, something I could only imagined when reading "Cities in Flight" by James Blish.

This book is filled with pictures of other worlds, both beautiful and bizarre. I feel like a child again when I go through this book once again.
Bracton
Apr 21, 2015 Bracton rated it it was amazing
This art book had a huge influence on me growing up. Probably turned me into a SFF fan. I read every single book that it referenced.
James Hecker
James Hecker rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Ian
Ian rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2009
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Reinhold
Reinhold rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Damian Jarvis
Damian Jarvis rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Dave Edens
Dave Edens rated it liked it
May 28, 2008
George
George rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2008
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
May 27, 2015
Aydin
Aydin rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2016
Tamara
Tamara rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2012
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Msmerricat
Msmerricat rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Dbdude99
Dbdude99 rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Raja99
Raja99 rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2007
John W
John W rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2012
David
David rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Dbx
Dbx added it
Jan 21, 2013
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
LWFlouisa
LWFlouisa marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Gerd
Gerd added it
Nov 10, 2013
Jose Martin
Jose Martin marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Kevin Hughes
Kevin Hughes marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Kristina  UK
Kristina UK marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Travelin
Travelin marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
microlith
microlith marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Claudia Gulea
Claudia Gulea marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
David Moore
David Moore marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Robert Paul Holdstock was an English novelist and author who is best known for his works of fantasy literature, predominantly in the fantasy subgenre of mythic fiction.

Holdstock's writing was first published in 1968. His science fiction and fantasy works explore philosophical, psychological, anthropological, spiritual, and woodland themes. He has received three BSFA awards and won the World Fantas
More about Robert Holdstock...