Start by marking “The Aquitaine Progression” as Want to Read:
The Aquitaine Progression

The Aquitaine Progression

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  10,227 ratings  ·  90 reviews
It begins in Geneva. There American lawyer Joel Converse meets a man he hasn't seen in twenty years, a covert operative who dies violently at his feet, whispering words that hand Converse a staggering legacy of death: "THE GENERALS...THEY'RE BACK...AQUITAINE!" Suddenly Converse is running for his life, alone with the world's most shattering secret. Pursued by anonymous exe ...more
Paperback, Special Overseas Edition, 847 pages
Published 1984 by Granada Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Aquitaine Progression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aquitaine Progression

Mike Hernandez
Robert Ludlum, as you know, is a great author. I'd never heard of this book before picking it up, and it was surprisingly good. The plot was good and the writing kept you interested throughout, although the book reminded me a lot of the movie "National Treasure". Not so much in the storyline, but more in the suspension of disbelief that you must achieve to actually enjoy this novel. Some points I found myself saying, "puhhlllleeeeaaaase", but then again, I find almost all fiction books that way, ...more
Julius Gewarges
Joel Converse is a Lawyer who just happened to come across a conspiracy(Code name "Aquitaine") that involves retired generals from around the world and their dedicated soldiers that are aiming at world domination by means of chaos and world violence. In chaotic times, the military will be needed to control chaos and thats where the Generals come in and take over.one country at a time. While Joel is investigating this conspiracy, His cover gets blown and he is a living target by Aquitaine. This b ...more
Matt Crumpton
Okay so this is book number two on my Robert Ludlum kick I am on right now. I believe there are ten more books I have left to read. Anyway on with the review.

I really liked this novel. Its Ludlum so you have the action and suspense and the plot twists that are standard in his works. In Aquataine you have this organization wanting to take over the world...this is also very standard in a Ludlum work. However I have said it before and I will say it again...its fun and entertaining.

One thing that r
John
The Aquitaine Progression. DAMN YOU LUDLUM. Now the smuggness of fame and riches makes the loyal readers wait TWO YEARS between book. I can recall the trepidation of weeks leading up to release. Going to the locale COLES book store and ordering a copy.
Now its like release, buy, read, and start waiting for the next release two years ahead. I was able to start going back and devouring Ludlum's first novels.

The Aquitaine Progression the world domination by fucked up ex generals. Perfect for the wa
Velvetink
Interesting, fast paced, slightly on the paranoia side where x WW2 Generals try to takeover the world and a smart NY lawyer called Converse & some M15 agents save the day. Not totally unbelievable.
Mark
I read this when it was a fairly new best seller, back in 1984-5. It was the first action thriller I had ever read and I was blown away. Though I haven't read very many similar movies over the years, I was curious whether I would still feel the same way, given all the movies of similar style I have seen in the meantime, including several Ludlum films (the Bourne series). I enjoyed reading it the second time (remembering virtually nothing from the first reading), but as I suspected, the level of ...more
Michael
Another attempt at world domination. The World saved from the fanatical Generals by an ex-Vietnam hero and now world class lawyer Mr Converse, despite the fact he has a mental block where languages other than English are concerned and spends most of his time in Europe (not England). I'm sure it won't spoil the book to say that the world carries on and there is a happy ending, despite it happening at the very last minute. Great stuff.
Todd
A little slow to start, but stay with it you'll be glad you did.
Iwan Sutisna
Bisa dibilang ini adalah Buku pertama Robert Ludlum yang bikin saya mulai melirik pengarang yang satu ini. Sekali lagi, Ludlum berhasil menebar jaring-jaring ketakutan di mata para pembacanya. Membaca novel ini, kita ikut merasakan ketegangan dan ketakutan yang selalu membayangi si tokoh utamanya di mana ia selalu berpikir bahwa mata musuhnya selalu ada di mana-mana.

Converse[namanya mirip merek sepatu:]adalah seorang pengacara sukses yang tiba-tiba saja karirnya berantakan setelah ia bertemu den
Kailash
A good book and a great plot. The only negative was that it is a lot longer than it should be. Ludlum is great with any story where the clandestine services are involved, and even though thats not precisely the case here, the hero could very well be an intelligence agent. Even if at times it tends to drag, on the whole this is a well-written and decently paced book.

A group of formerly highly-regarded but extremely right-wing generals from some of the west's biggest countries (US, UK, Germany, Fr
Brett
This was my first time reading Robert Ludlum, and it was something of a letdown. The Aquitaine Progression feels very much like any generic spy-thriller. I tried to put myself in the right mindset for it, allowing myself to just enjoy a fast moving action story, but this text makes it difficult.

The major problem is that at around 750 pages, this book is at least twice as long as it should be. The many rounds of run/capture/escape become repetitious pretty quickly, and the plot, while I did my be
Marina Yakimova
Linda
The book is too long, the story is far-fetched, there are a lot
of very lucky coincidences, that said, the characters are believable, and sympathetic, the story is exciting, and I raced through the
book! It is somewhat surprising to me how dated a book like this is
now, the story could not possibly happen in the days of fast computers,
satellite phones, security checks, etc. It is kind of scary how far
we have come toward the future foretold in this book.
Craig
This book firmly falls into the thriller / suspense category. Some folks will recognize this author's work from the trilogy of movies starring Matt Damon, where Damon played the character Jason Bourne.

Like many Ludlum novels, the main action sets an American battling intrigue throughout Europe. There is plenty of plot line to this story, surpassing Vince Flynn's "The Third Option" in that regard by a long distance. I still put Ludlum at least into the same conversation as approaching the quality
Buckeye_reader
Whew - took a while to plow through this! 650 pages in the hardback. Not a bad story line - very descriptive and drawn out. It did keep moving though.
Billy Maise
This was the first Ludlum book I read after the Bourne series. The very beginning was hard to understand, but once I got into the story things started to pick up. It's your basic spy adventure: a guy discovers a big evil conspiracy and then the conspirators try to kill him. But the plot was well-handled where it could have easily been clunky. It had a lot of talking and scheming and not that much action. I didn't mind that too much, though. Not every protagonist in a Ludlum book can be as deadly ...more
Al
It begins in Geneva. There American lawyer Joel Converse meets a man he hasn't seen in twenty years, a covert operative who dies violently at his feet, whispering words that hand Converse a staggering legacy of death: "The generals ... they're back ... Aquitaine!" Suddenly Converse is running for his life, alone with the world's most shattering secret. Pursued by anonymous executioners to the darkest corners of Europe, he is forced to play a game of survival by blood-rules he thought he'd long l ...more
Dale
Another great Robert Ludlum book. Tight plot, enjoyable read.
Daniel McCarthy
Nonsense. Very enjoyable nonsense at that.
G.M.
I just enjoy reading Robert Ludlum's books!
Joanne Caldwell
I just love Ludlum novels. Always an intrigue.
William Laidlaw
Really good book. A literary classic.
Ruven
spannend. etwas zu große und unglaubwürdige story
Jul 21, 2008 Laura rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Grandma
Shelves: suspense
I liked the movie The Bourne Identity so I figured I'd like this book as well. I knew the other movie was very detailed and well thought out but I had no idea this book would be so lengthy! It took me over three weeks to read; I normally get through a book in a week or two. Most of the book was worth the read but some parts were too drawn out and detail-ridden. I suppose that's what makes the book, though, and it would probably make an excellent movie as well.
Arne-Jan
Heerlijke misdaadroman. Ik heb altijd schroom om een misdaadverhaal van de plank te pakken, maar was er na dit boek blij om dat ik het heb gedaan. In een ruk uitgelezen, heerlijke plots en echte slechteriken die smerige plannetjes smeden. Ik weet eigenlijk niet of het boek al verfilmd is, maar daar leent het zich in elk geval uitstekend voor.
Galina
Very interesting political action in best Ludlum's traditions. The plot is very intriguing and it doesn't give you any short moment to take a breath in that neverending chase. And as all Ludlum's books besides the being the great action it puts serious questions to think about. The reason of 4 stars is that it seems to me too long, a bit slow at the beginning and too abrupt at the ending... But anyway, it's a good exciting reading.
Mrinal Purohit
This is one huge book with one twisting plot at every end. Sometimes the predictions came true and sometimes they did not. A whole game of nothing but co-incidence and pure luck which turned to be in favor of the protagonist. Few important characters just being described but not effectively used. Nevertheless kept me attached and the book was unputdownable.
Kathy
This was my first Robert Ludlum book. I was curious about reading the Jason Bourne series. (I have not seen any of the movies.) So I just read this one to see if I could handle the style and it was OK but nothing special. I did follow through and read the Jason Bourne series and I enjoyed those more than this one. However, I plan to read some more Ludlum, non-Bourne series, books in the future.
Steve Eales
Very good and worth reading. I will now read the Parsifal Mosaic as that's meant to be better.
Jon
I really don't know why I didn't love this book. It's a great story with great characters. The pace doesn't let up and I enjoyed every page. But that's it, I just enjoyed it. I can't find fault with it, I just wasn't gripped. If I could read it for the first time again on any other day I might be raving about it as I'm sure most Ludlum fans have and would. But not this time sadly.
  • Our Game
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Balance of Power (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #5)
  • The Miko (Nicholas Linnear, #2)
  • The Negotiator
  • Day of Wrath
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton, #8)
  • The Stockholm Syndicate
  • Mexico Set (Bernard Samson, #2)
  • San Andreas
  • Prelude to Terror
Robert Ludlum was the author of twenty-seven novels, each one a New York Times bestseller. There are more than 210 million of his books in print, and they have been translated into thirty-two languages. He is the author of The Scarlatti Inheritance, The Chancellor Manuscript, and the Jason Bourne series--The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum--among others. Mr. Ludlum ...more
More about Robert Ludlum...
The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1) The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2) The Bourne Ultimatum (Jason Bourne, #3) The Matarese Circle (Matarese #1) The Icarus Agenda

“...Summer nights held a special kind of loneliness that gave rise to strange imaginings. One walked the beach alone and thought too much.” 6 likes
“The end did not justify the means, but justifiable means that brought about a fair and necessary conclusion were not to be dismissed.” 4 likes