Start by marking “Twitter Power 2.0: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time” as Want to Read:
Twitter Power 2.0: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time

Twitter Power 2.0: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time

The best guide to using Twitter to market to consumers-revised and better than ever Since 2006, forward-thinking companies like Apple, JetBlue, Whole Food, and GM have discovered the instant benefits of leveraging social media site Twitter to reach consumers directly, build their brand, and increase their sales. Some companies have whole teams of specialists whose only job ...more
Published March 25th 2010 by Wiley (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Twitter Power 2.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twitter Power 2.0

William Torgerson
Jun 30, 2012 William Torgerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-media
This book livened up Twitter for me. As I read, I started to think about my favorites, as in my favorite podcasts, movies, and books. I started to see what people connected to those texts were active on Twitter. I began to follow them and interact. Comm does a nice job of breaking things down into actionable lists.
Jack
Sep 02, 2010 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It Makes a Whole Lot of Twitter Sense Now

Hi there! You’ve seen it. I’ve seen it. Yes, we’ve all seen it. And we’re all excited by that unmistakably familiar Blue Birdie. All the buzz about it and its tweets on traditional media outlets has probably brought you to this page. I would not be surprised to hear that the hype surrounding this microblogging sensation known as Twitter has led you here, wondering whether or not you should purchase this book.

For starters, here are the $16.47 (or insert h
E
Oct 05, 2009 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just the right book to power up brands with Twitter

Comm’s book will alert you to the real business possibilities of Twitter. He guides new and intermediate Twitter users through the whole process of using Twitter productively, from creating a profile to building a following to measuring your success. He also explains how to get business results on Twitter and how to measure those results. While Comm covers the basics for beginners, even experienced users will discover tidbits that will improve
Troy Blackford
This book was a decent resource, but it is heavily outdated at this point. It had points like 'connect Twitter to MySpace' and suggested social networks like 'Plurk' which I don't think succeeded and no longer run. Also, a lot of the Twitter specific information is no longer current (it suggests 'TwitPic,' which was only useful before Twitter allowed photo uploads, among other things). But much of the information is still valuable.
Richard Sparks
Jan 28, 2011 Richard Sparks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the books and guides to using Twitter for marketing a business, this one is the BEST! Joel explains how to do it, what order to do it, and WHY to do it his way. I've read several Twitter guides, but Joel's method is a well thought-out strategy, not just step by step how tos without benefits or consequences.
Tim
Jun 01, 2010 Tim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, well, well… here we were all set to publish a write-up on Joel Comm’s recently released ‘Twitter Power’ one of the many, many books that have popped up in the wake of the phenomenon that is the world’s largest social networking micro-blog, when all of a sudden we get a call from the book’s publicist in New York asking if we would like to cover – wait for it – the new edition!
Now assuming Twitter books will be almost as prolific and quick to market as third-party Twitter apps (there are wel
Mark
Dec 28, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The subtitle for Twitter Power is "How to dominate your market one tweet at a time." Joel Comm shows how to build up to such domination starting with an introduction to twitter, explaining its origin and the importance to business today.

Twitter Power is an excellent primer on twitter and will provide any novice a road-map to proper twitter use and business integration. For those who have been using twitter for some time, several sections can be skimmed over, but useful tips and techniques can st
Daynah
Aug 31, 2009 Daynah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech, socialmedia
Very informative and offers many great suggestions on how to get started on Twitter, especially for businesses. I really enjoyed the list of Twitter tools that were available that I didn't know about.

In Chapter 11, Joel hands it off to Ken Burge, Preside of InfoMedia, Inc to talk about using Twitter's APIs and the programming aspect of it. This chapter just touches the surface of Twitter APIs, and doesn't dive too deeply into it.

In Chapter 12, Joel asks Kevin Houchin of Houchin Law in Nothern Co
Lyndie Blevins
Mar 13, 2013 Lyndie Blevins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any one using Twitter for marketing and platform
Recommended to Lyndie by: Thomas Umstattd, Jr.

I was attracted to this book because...
This book was released in 2009 as I entered into the writing world. I and no idea what Twitter was and how to use social media with my writing. It took me 3+ years to get to it, and there is another edition out already.

This book was about...
how to use Twitter to build your brand and relations with your audience and market your product.

Things I liked about this book...
Joel Comm brings specific ideas, tips and tools to use Twitter better. I’ve been using
Christine
Jul 14, 2009 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twitter Power was a gift from the social networking gods for me. I work in corporate communications and our CEO announced one day that he'd starting tweeting. The entire room gasped. Twitter wasn't part of our immediate communications strategy - namely because none of us understood it well enough to include it, and we were waiting to see if it became a technology with staying power or another fad.

My challenge was immense. I had to learn about using Twitter for business purposes, etiquette, best
Tanya
Sep 16, 2012 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are new to twitter and want to understand what it is about, I would recommend this book. Even if you know something about twitter, there are still a bunch of tips you can learn form this book.

It gives you step by step on how to follow people, get followers and create tweets. It then goes over how you can use twitter to talk to customers, build a brand, use it in-house for a team or leverage behavior in your followers.

In the end, it gives you a list of Third Party Twitter tools which are
Zach Vaughn
In Twitter Power, the opening chapters provide a basic introduction to Twitter: what is Twitter, how to sign up, formatting your profile (this is important and should not be taken lightly), etc. Some of the most useful chapters for working on a campaign, or in an office, are Chapter 4 on building a following, Chapter 6 on connecting to customers (or voters) and Chapter 8 on building your brand (which is essentially a combination of the preceding chapters). The last few chapters are pretty repeti ...more
Nick Scott
There is value in the later part of this book when he talks specifically about how to use Twitter to grow your audience and lead them back to your own website, as well as how to keep track of what strategies work, but the majority of this book felt like it was written for older people who have trouble turning on their "typewriters with screens." It was a a long slog through the step by step procedure on how to set up a Twitter account and how Twitter works before you get to the few nuggets of us ...more
Becca
I think I use Twitter more to socialize, than for professional reasons. I gave this book a whirl out of curiosity, because I couldn't believe someone had written a book about Twitter/tweeting. Soon as I read it 'replygate' happened (admin disabled users from seeing in their homepage the all @replies of their followers...limiting them only to @replies sent to ppl the both users following). Replying was one of the author's core promotion tips. And that change rendered it moot.

Honestly, needing a
Erin Sipes
Aug 10, 2009 Erin Sipes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I actually won this book through a Goodreads giveaway and was excited about getting some twittering insight. The book fell far short of my expectations. Apparently I shouldn't have bothered setting up a Twitter account until after I had started reading. I broke some of the 'rules' mentioned and found most of the others to be common sense.

If you have NO marketing ability whatsoever you may find this book helpful. The advice is simplistic and vague. If you talked with your little sister she could
Brad
Jun 18, 2012 Brad rated it it was ok
This book is a good introductory to social media so far, but I'm really hoping it gets more advanced as it progresses. The author walks readers through actually setting up a Twitter account. VERY elementary content so far. This is not only social media and Twitter 101 but 'web-use 101' as well.

I'm glad I'm reading the audio format because I can set my iPod to 2x speed and move through it faster. After trying the 2x speed, I've noticed that his normal speed crawls!

This may be a better book to act
Sam
Jun 21, 2012 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business owners
As a Twitter user for over three years, I thought this book was interesting. It was a shame to see that much of the information on how to create the account was outdated. Overall, the book gave me a better insight on tweeting techniques while running a business. Comm gives great advice on setting up the account, building a following, and continuing on.
Must read for anyone who would like to promote their business on Twitter!
Nicole
Feb 09, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I learned a lot from this book. A lot of people tend to say they "don't get" Twitter. This book made it quite evident how Twitter is perhaps the most viral and effective form of social networking out there. Whether you are marketing a corporate brand, a personal brand, or you just want to know what's going on in the world, utilizing Twitter is a smart route to take. Joel Comm does a great job of explaining the benefits while also teaching you how to implement the site into daily use.
The Digital Ink  Spot
If you have no experience with Twitter, this is for you. It covers all the basics and a peek at some advance stuff too. The copy I read (2009) was a little dated. It actually recommend to spell out retweet. I mean really? Like I said, if you are new at Twitter or overwhelmed by it all. Read this book. Anyone else will think that it's nothing new under the sun.
The best advice from the book is simple. Participate in the community.
Camilla
There's something a bit ironic about reading a book about twitter- the most transient of forms of communication, surely as soon as this was published it was in danger of being obsolete. I read this for my MA as a way to back up some of what I was saying to people about the value of tweeting about our exhibitions etc. Super easy to read, in fact I think I read it all in a couple of hours. Can't say I really learnt anything new, but if you are a twitter virgin you might find this useful.
Amanda
Feb 24, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Even though a lot of the information in this book was out-of-date (to be expected when social media changes so frequently), I was able to get a lot of good information and ideas for a current work project. Sure, it was research, but the writing was engaging, so it wasn't a dreary read. If you're looking to get into some Twitter marketing, there may be some more updated information out there, but this is a good start
Abdul
Apr 03, 2011 Abdul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lessons Learned:
Building a brand/company is all about creating community and relationships. Twitter helps you to accomplish this goal.

Summary:
Interesting book about the power of Twitter and how to use it to build a brand and market your business or indeed yourself. Picked up some new ways on how to more effectively use the service.
Dwayne
Nov 21, 2009 Dwayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in an effort to ensure that I did not miss any knowledge regarding the powerful Social Media Channel that we know as Twitter! Overall, I felt this book was very comprehensive yet still easy to read! I would recommend this book to those people who want to get a better understanding of how to best use Twitter for your personal and corporate brands!
Nathan
Jan 11, 2011 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading a LOT of books on how to use twitter for business, this is the only one that I can find that I felt was a little bit more unique and able to start directing me the right way. If you just want to read a book about basic twitter, find something else, but if you want to use it for business, this is great.
David
Jan 17, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was easy to follow despite how complicated Twitter when you would like to use it and have an influence on the Twitterverse. A lot of good tips and websites. I got this book last year so as far as technology goes I am sure its a bit dated as of now. So much changes in a short amount of time. But the basics are definitely here and presented in a fun and understandable way. I am glad I read it.
Kyle Smith
So far this book has been ok. The whole first part is mainly about how to set up twitter properly, etiquette, and targeting users. Good stuff, just a bit to "for dummies" for me. Looking forward to the second half though.

I have reading this book slowly each morning as I wait for my computer to power up.
Samantha
Dec 02, 2010 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly helpful in marketing ones self/brand on Twitter, there are some useful sources noted in the book as well. I did however feel that unless you already have a solid foundation of knowledge with twitter you need to read another book to even know how to begin understanding twitter before using it to market the way Joel Comm discusses it.
Kathryn Salek
Jul 14, 2016 Kathryn Salek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a book with detailed info on how to start tweeting and improve your micro-blogging efforts look no further. There's a reason this book has gone through multiple updates/re-printings. I especially liked the variety of tools suggested and specifics provided for each. I also enjoyed the author's thoughts on the different ways Twitter can and/or should be used.
Tom
Jan 22, 2016 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bible on using Twitter. As an exploding new internet phenomena, it becomes incumbent on those wanting to be in "the know" not only to join such social networks, but also to know how to behave properly and to use the network to the user's best advantage. Joel Comm tells you all you will need to know to get started and to continually improve.
Kathy Nealen
(Old Review from linkedin) Since I am not trying to build a business, some of the info in this book did not really apply. I am still trying to understand how I can use twitter for some benefit. He provides a 30 day plan (one action per day) to get you well-established in twitter. I think I haven't decided whether I want to be well-established in twitter or not. Maybe that can be a goal for 2011!
Let's increase our followers and following 1 1 Dec 04, 2012 10:34PM
Let's increase our followers and following 1 2 Dec 04, 2012 10:34PM
Twitter Power discussion 1 8 Mar 25, 2009 08:18AM
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • The Whuffie Factor: The 5 Keys for Maxing Social Capital and Winning with Online Communities
  • The Facebook Era: Tapping Online Social Networks to Build Better Products, Reach More People, and Sell More Stuff: Tap Online Social Networks to Build ... Reach More People, and Sell More Stuff
  • The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business
  • World Wide Rave: Creating Triggers That Get Millions of People to Spread Your Ideas and Share Your Stories
  • The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools, and Strategies for Business Success
  • Naked Conversations: How Blogs Are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • The Dragonfly Effect: Quick, Effective, and Powerful Ways to Use Social Media to Drive Social Change
  • ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income
  • PR 2.0: New Media, New Tools, New Audiences
  • The Twitter Book
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Click: What Millions of People Do Online and Why It Matters