Start by marking “The Principal's New Clothes” as Want to Read:

The Principal's New Clothes

Mr. Bundy, the principal of P.S. 88, is the sharpest dresser in school. In fact, he's the sharpest dresser in the whole town! But when two tricksters come to town and design a suit of magic cloth for Mr. Bundy, everyone is in for a big surprise!
Published August 1st 1991 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published September 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Principal's New Clothes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Principal's New Clothes

Bonnie Ferrante
Jun 27, 2014 Bonnie Ferrante rated it really liked it
I love when an author and illustrator can update a traditional fairy tale and make it connect better with contemporary children. Calmenson and Brunkus have succeeded beautifully. Instead of a vain emperor, we have a clothes crazy principal. The two con artists, Ivy and Mo, appeal to the principle’s vanity. As in the traditional story, they pretend to create clothes that are invisible to anyone who is unfit for their job or is stupid. Everyone is afraid to confess they cannot see the cloth. The v ...more
Maggie Burgess
Jan 28, 2016 Maggie Burgess rated it really liked it
Read this to a first grade class today, and they were SILENT (except for the giggles and appropriate responses)! They were so into the book! While I don't love the repeated use of the word stupid (which we talked about), I love the message! So many good messages! At the end, I asked the kids what the moral of the story was. They said don't lie! Don't believe someone who says something is there when you can't see it! Tell the truth! Don't worry about what other people think! Don't trust people dr ...more
Jorie Turner
Dec 02, 2007 Jorie Turner rated it liked it
Recommends it for: grades k-3
Shelves: folklore, fiction
Summary: The story of the Emperor’s New Clothes brought to school. A very finely dressed principal gets offered a suit by con-artists who say this material is special because only people who are smart and good at their job can see the material. The principal buys the suit and puts it on. Everyone in town has heard about the suit and so they all fake being able to see the suit so no one thinks they are stupid or bad at their job. A kindergartner points out that the principal is actually in his un ...more
Jun 18, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
The Emperor's New Clothes was never one of my favorite fairy tales, maybe because it seemed too silly. I just wish the word 'stupid' hadn't been used quite so freely, but that's also the word used in several of the translations I have on hand. One of the versions used the word 'foolish.'

Calmenson has extended the ending slightly, so the principal is fully attired before the book ends. (I'm not saying how this happens.)
Mar 20, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
I really loved reading this book. It is a modern version of the Emperor's New Clothes, and is a lot of fun to read. The only thing that I didn't like was the use of the word "stupid" throughout. I do not like hearing that word, and to see it so often in a children's story bothered me. The illustrations are fun to look at, and it is still well written.
Apr 17, 2015 Genevieve rated it it was amazing
The principals new clothes was about the new clothes that were only underwear and a shirt and shoes. My favourite character was mr. Bundy because he wore his underwear and that was funny. I loved it because the guy wore his underwear to school.
I would recommend this book to max and Isaac who think seeing underwear is funny.
This is a take on The Emperor's New Clothes. I rather like this version. It keeps close to the original story, substituting a principal for the emperor. A kindergartener is the one who calls out the principal is in his underwear. Cute.

I like the original tale and enjoy this rendition of it, although it is not stellar.
Feb 25, 2015 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Calmenson, Stephanie
a modern look at the classic using identifiable people in the students life.
April Smith
Apr 24, 2014 April Smith rated it really liked it
I feel like I should read it like a poem, because I feel like it has a rhythm to it. I believe this book would be good for second or third graders to read.
Dec 31, 2013 Volkert rated it it was amazing
Entertaining retelling of "The Emperor's New Clothes," with humorous illustrations. This book captivated my students, grades K-6, when I read it to them.
Jun 22, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Such a funny story . I read this with my class and one of my classmates said, he dresses like Ms. J.( our teacher ) after the first page.
Aug 16, 2013 Sam rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young kids
Short read, but a popular tale. A funny little story that I heard often as a kid about the principal who is tricked by his new tailors.
Erin Banet
Apr 18, 2012 Erin Banet rated it it was amazing
Hilarious spin in the emporors new clothes. Kids think its so funny that the principal is in his underwear!
May 10, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an interesting take on "The Emperor's New Clothes," with the Emperor being the Principal at an Elementary School. Entertaining and funny.
Sep 22, 2014 Karin rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A different take on a classic tale. If memory serves me correctly, the best part of this was imagining your own principal walking confidently through the halls of the school in boxer shorts.
Safyre rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Tiffanie Dang
Tiffanie Dang rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Lauren Kramer
Lauren Kramer rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2014
Henry rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2011
Courtney rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Beth rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Christine rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Regina Tebow
Regina Tebow rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Cathi rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Joy rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Anita Farrow
Anita Farrow rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Jency rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Cosette rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Jul 02, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: children
An up-to-date version of the Emporer's New Clothes.
Alyssa Kittilstved
Alyssa Kittilstved rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2012