The Principal's New Clothes

The Principal's New Clothes

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Mr. Bundy, the principal of P.S. 88, is the sharpest dresser in school. In fact, he's the sharpest dresser in the whole town! But when two tricksters come to town and design a suit of magic cloth for Mr. Bundy, everyone is in for a big surprise!
Published August 1st 1991 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published September 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Principal's New Clothes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Principal's New Clothes

Bonnie Ferrante
I love when an author and illustrator can update a traditional fairy tale and make it connect better with contemporary children. Calmenson and Brunkus have succeeded beautifully. Instead of a vain emperor, we have a clothes crazy principal. The two con artists, Ivy and Mo, appeal to the principle’s vanity. As in the traditional story, they pretend to create clothes that are invisible to anyone who is unfit for their job or is stupid. Everyone is afraid to confess they cannot see the cloth. The v...more
Jorie Turner
Dec 02, 2007 Jorie Turner rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: grades k-3
Shelves: folklore, fiction
Summary: The story of the Emperor’s New Clothes brought to school. A very finely dressed principal gets offered a suit by con-artists who say this material is special because only people who are smart and good at their job can see the material. The principal buys the suit and puts it on. Everyone in town has heard about the suit and so they all fake being able to see the suit so no one thinks they are stupid or bad at their job. A kindergartner points out that the principal is actually in his un...more
April Smith
I feel like I should read it like a poem, because I feel like it has a rhythm to it. I believe this book would be good for second or third graders to read.
Mary Connolly
Such a funny story . I read this with my class and one of my classmates said, he dresses like Ms. J.( our teacher ) after the first page.
Madi Welton
Honesty is a great quality, even if it's not always what people would like to hear!
Robert
This is a take on The Emperor's New Clothes. I rather like this version. It keeps close to the original story, substituting a principal for the emperor. A kindergartener is the one who calls out the principal is in his underwear. Cute.

I like the original tale and enjoy this rendition of it, although it is not stellar.
Volkert
Entertaining retelling of "The Emperor's New Clothes," with humorous illustrations. This book captivated my students, grades K-6, when I read it to them.
Dolly
May 10, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an interesting take on "The Emperor's New Clothes," with the Emperor being the Principal at an Elementary School. Entertaining and funny.
Sam
Aug 16, 2013 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young kids
Short read, but a popular tale. A funny little story that I heard often as a kid about the principal who is tricked by his new tailors.
Erin Banet
Hilarious spin in the emporors new clothes. Kids think its so funny that the principal is in his underwear!
Hira
great spin on an old story; makes the story more relevent; also good to promote persuasive writing
Mckenzie Knight
This book is alright. Very funny ending. Like of predictable. Good as a fun book to read.
Rebecca
An up-to-date version of the Emporer's New Clothes.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kahpui
Kahpui added it
Jun 04, 2014
Tausha Glasgow
Tausha Glasgow marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Little Mermaid (Disney Princess) Late for School! Dinner at the Panda Palace Jazzmatazz! Oopsy, Teacher!