The Hiram Key

The Hiram Key (The Hiram Key #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  1,361 ratings  ·  84 reviews
s/t: Pharaohs, Freemasonry & the Discovery of the Secret Scrolls of Jesus
When the authors, both Masons, set out to find the origins of the Freemasonry they had no idea they would find themselves unraveling the true story of Jesus Christ and the original Jerusalem Church. Their startling and unexpected conclusions are presented here--backed by rigorous analyses of ancie...more
Published August 1st 2001 by Fair Winds Press (first published 1996)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Great Books with BLACK covers
489th out of 1,114 books — 603 voters
Drawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerThe Golden Dawn by Israel RegardieThe Middle Pillar by Israel RegardieThree Books of Occult Philosophy by Cornelius AgrippaDemons of the Flesh by Nikolas Schreck
Occult Library
350th out of 378 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
the authors are both masons and amateur historians who have done quite a bit of research. However, the more amazing the claim, the more proof is required. This book should have had at least 20 pages of bibliography of primary and secondary source material, along with an 'Additional reading" section if it wants to be taken seriously. There was no bibliography of any kind, and what references the authors make as the basis for their claims were done using footnotes throughout the text, without so m...more
Sarallyn
I read this at an interesting period of my life where things I know I no longer know if I know for sure. This book only added to questions I have about life, God, and what we really know about history.

Although, the purpose of the book is to show the lineage of the Masonic order, which it does convincingly, it also discusses iconic biblical figures such as Abraham, Moses, Joseph, and, extensively, Jesus. This book illustrates these acnient figures, who I have been taught to revere and resepect,...more
Tyler Anderson
If you're looking to see where Dan Brown stole all of his dim-witted bulls#!t from for that debacle of a book that has wasted more paper than the IRS, read this book! I give it two rather than one star, because at least it's a hoot to read. But these guys have absolutely no grasp of any structure for research or historical method, and it jumps from one completely hapless and misguided "ergo" to the next. Air is 21% oxygen, ergo Freemasonry was formulated by ancient Egyptians. You get the idea.

I...more
William
Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas, both Masons, set out to find the origins of Freemasonry and ended up at Rosslyn.

An interesting study of the history of Freemasonry, but they allow their speculations to get more than a bit wild.

Nice pictures of the inside of the chapel though.
Laura Weakley
For a book which continually touts its scholarship, well... if it was turned in as High School Thesis, I would give it an F. There were many mistakes made, and not even close to enough references as to where information came from. This is because not only did the authors make a lot of conjectures, but they also were not logical assumptions. Funny how throughout the book, they keep writing about how they asked others if their conjectures were logical, and how they did a lot of research.
I marked...more
Steve Cran
I enjoyed reading this one. The book starts off with the authors tryign to figure out the origins of masonry and the rituals there in. Thier journey takes them back through time all the way to Egypts when the Hebrews were still slaves in Egypt. Apparentally Sequenare the Pharoah of Thebes during Hyskso occupation had the secret ritual that officailly made one king of Egypt. Appophis sent some to geet the secret from him but Sequenare would not budge. He was killed. Later Masonic ritual depicts t...more
Justin
Easily the densest book I've ever read. The authors go to great lengths to establish the depth of their research, and at times it can completely obliterate the prose.

The basic theory of this work is that Jesus was a Freemason, at least of some sort, and that Masonry goes back at least that far. The authors claim that the "raising" of Lazarus was not actually bringing him back from the dead, but was an allegory akin to teh "raising" of a Master Mason.

Not may people believe in the theories in the...more
Kelsey
I started reading this book almost 3 months ago. But then I picked up a book for book club and read that, then I read another book, and another book, and another book... you get the picture. Then last week, I came back with renewed gusto and determination. And now I've set it down again. But instead of putting on my nightstand so I could guiltily be reminded that I haven't read it yet, it has been shelved in the living room. Here's why: It is rather dry reading, written very much like a textbook...more
James
The author's take the freemasons and the origins of things like the Knights Templar and put together a conspiracy theory that is interesting. Despite this, their arguments lack proof. The proof they do provide is sketchy and not completely verifiable. They also paint their ideas to seem like fact when they need to do a better job of pointing out that this is just a thought, belief , idea, theory that they developed. They paint a different picture of Jesus as " one of the pillars of the qumran ch...more
Boniface Wolfsong
The theory put forward in this book rests on a very important linchpin, as they state here: "One of the strangest and yet most important in our reconstruction of the Babylonian exile was the prophet Ezekiel... Ezekiel was the architect of the imaginary or idealised Temple of Yahweh, and we would argue that it was the most important of them all!"

However, most scholars disagree with them as they state, "Many twentieth-century experts have concluded that these works were the output of several much...more
Rafael
This book is very interesting and of very entertaining and agile reading. The authors know the art to express their ideas in a simple, straightforward and compelling way. You could almost say that it reads like an adventure novel.
They present theories very consistent and logical at first glance about several mysteries such as:
-The origin of Masonic rites dating back to ancient Egypt more than 3,000 years ago.
-The legend of the murder of the temple of Solomon´s builder, Hiram Abif, is based on...more
Joanne Maidment
I felt that although it raised some interesting points of thought and clarification it was mainly assumption with no real substantial evidence or thought behind them. It was frustrating when they said they are not going to make the evidence fit their hypothesis or thesis but I felt that more often than not that is what they tried to do despite their being more than one option or possibility for the ideas placed forwards

I acknowledge that concrete evidence can never be provided for what is being...more
Yvonne
I started this book about 3 years ago when my husband got it as a Christmas present from his sister. The first three chapters are really captivating about the history of Freemasonry. But then it gets sketchy. I quote from chapter 13, page 267:
"Some years earlier, when we had first developed the theory that the Knights Templar had found something under the Temple ruins, we had stared backwards to a gulf of over a thousand years wondering what might have been placed there to find. Now we had recon...more
Alex
To be honest, I read much but not all of this book. This book appears to be poorly researched although the authors often say that "they read this or they discovered that" yet never actually cite the sources of any of these "major discoveries". There may be those out there that will say that the authors cite several sources however those that are cited only reinforce minor premises in the book. Couple with this the fact that many so called discoveries are mere conjecture and others are leaps of l...more
David Nicol
Apr 04, 2013 David Nicol rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who wear tinfoil hats
I read this book a while back. The story and investigation are quite interesting but the so called Hiram Key? (view spoiler)...more
Ajit Nathaniel
As a Freemason and a research professional, I am inclined to view all information with an open mind. I did the same with this book. Sadly, despite glowing appreciation from many quarters, this book gives very very little in terms of hard evidence, and much of the conclusions are based on pure guesswork.

The beginning of the book that criticises the existing theories on the origin of Freemasonry does seem to hold some weight, but things go rapidly downhill from there.

If you are looking for a good...more
Sebastian
I loved this book. I have no idea whether anything that the authors claim is true or even accurately researched, but it reads well and the ideas are largely plausible. I'm certain that Dan Brown derived a lot of his material from this book. But most essentially it is a gripping yarn.

I also have a soft spot for this book as I was reading it in conjunction with Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, which is not only an extremely concise and informative text on the Abrahamic cults, sects and religious...more
Aaron Meredith
I found this book to be very interesting. During the time I was reading it, I was looking for exactly what the book delivered.
Arnaldo Ibarrientos
I read this because a mentor/friend in Freemasonry, many years ago, had a tendency of throwing this book across the room since it showed a few "secrets". It's an okay read, nothing too special. The "secrets" can be easily googled, but there's more to Masonry than what's in this book. But the fraternal brotherhood, all the benefits (along with the politics and drama) are exclusive to the brethren and each lodge. Freemasonry had a hand in shaping history behind the scenes (which not many people kn...more
John Rivera
Decent read, I tried to treat this particular read as fun instead of academic. This books reads more as a story about the authors' research and not a research work. There are some footnotes, but I would have loved to see citations for what they were writing about often. I'd recommend this book to other Masons but ask them to read it with a critical mind and not be too quick to accept every word as truth. I did find the argument for the true identity of Hiram Abiff to be especially interesting.

A...more
Mike
Stunning revelations! Really enjoyed it!
Lauren-Jane
Honestly not what I expected, It's somewhat billed as fiction within the much overdone "Da Vinci Code" genre, whereas the book should sit well within the non-fiction section. That said, as a non fiction book, it's well researched, considered and is an interesting and engaging read. The authors being masons themselves, expose a world hidden to those of us female or less than affluent. If you're interested in the subject then I'd recommend reading it. However, it's no summer read and if the subjec...more
William Crosby
Lots of speculation and conjecture, putting together ancient story remnants (some from Sumerian times) to make a coherent (to the authors) theory. It reminded me of "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" in the way they gathered fragments of this and that and reinterpretations of words and sayings. It also had a lot of imagined scenes and conversations with ancient people.

Still, it was somewhat interesting to read regardless of any validity.

Rather considerable reinterpretation of the Bible, especially the New...more
Michal Gregor
I am happy to say that I have seldom read anything as stupid as this. To this day I feel rather sorry for supporting the authors by buying this rubbish of theirs. Their argument is quite ridiculous, inconsistent, contradictory and unsupported by any evidence whatsoever.

That being said, you may find reading this rather entertaining if you happen to enjoy Däniken, Arnošť Vašíček, Ivo Benda and similar geniuses.
Makhosonke Collin
Feb 07, 2013 Makhosonke Collin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Makhosonke by: no one
Umar
Jan 27, 2010 Umar added it
I don't know if its the same book I read- since it was a while back that I read it, now there is a plethora of books out there on these topics. The facts and documentation of some of the things that are said, could be contested but it does give you a perspective on the world of secret societies, in a much more intimate way, and the cultish mythology built around it.

One thing you should get from this book: ancient ruins and civilizations never die, they just continue in some other form.
Syed Inam
A good perspective is given to the read who is a non-mason. Freemasonry is widely misunderstood, hence this book tries to justify the secretive history and practices, which might seem "odd" to some. The book goes through the involvement of the Catholic Church, Jesus and the templrs with freemasonry. This book does not teach one to be a mason, rather just gives a presumptive history.
Hugh Evans
An excellent book, not an easy read, but marvelous and extremely important. Those who have read the Bible and wondered what on earth (or heaven) had been going on, can enjoy a reasoned, plausible explanation. Those that want to see the light and be informed rather than faithfully follow should read this book. Probably more enlightening for non-Masons and useful to debunk negative myths about Freemasonry.
Farrah
Great book for anyone who is interested in Freemasonry and alternative views of Christian rituals. It sort of like the DaVinci Code, but instead of DaVinci's paintings, the answers lie in the rituals of the Freemasons. Warning- they make some leaps with their connections, but that's to be expected, right. Makes you think and question your assumptions about religion- good for discussion.
Alexander
All of Lomas and Knight's books are excellent. They give you a hypothesis, they expound upon it and they leave the decision to believe it or not up to you.

I learned a lot about ancient history just in the this book. I highly recommend this book to anyone curious about the past and how what happened back then may have manifested itself through the ages.
  • The Orion Mystery: Unlocking the Secrets of the Pyramids
  • Bloodline of the Holy Grail
  • The Temple and the Lodge
  • The Message of the Sphinx: A Quest for the Hidden Legacy of Mankind
  • Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings: Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age
  • Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
  • The Sirius Mystery: New Scientific Evidence of Alien Contact 5,000 Years Ago
  • Gods of Eden
  • In God's Name: An Investigation Into the Murder of Pope John Paul I
  • The Jesus Dynasty: The Hidden History of Jesus, His Royal Family, and the Birth of Christianity
  • Pope Joan: Translated & Adapted from the Greek
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry
Christopher Knight, born in 1950, has worked in marketing, advertising, and public relations. He joined the Freemasons in 1976 and grew interested in studying their rituals and history, which led to Knight writing the bestselling The Hiram Key. He has continued his study of rituals through time.

More about Christopher Knight...
Uriel's Machine The Second Messiah The Book of Hiram Who Built the Moon? Civilization One: The World Is Not as You Thought it Was