Start by marking “Five Converstations You Must Have with Your Dauther” as Want to Read:
Five Converstations You Must Have with Your Dauther

Five Converstations You Must Have with Your Dauther

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  433 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Youth culture expert Vicki Courtney gives moms straight talk about keeping the lines of communication open and honest with their daughters from cradle to college.
Unknown Binding, 295 pages
Published May 27th 2014 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Five Converstations You Must Have with Your Dauther

Lee Fleming
I didn't realize this was written by some evangelical lady but the first couple of chapters were good. Let me save you the time of reading it and summarize the main points I got out of it:

1) Fashion magazines are like drugs or alcohol for your daughter's self-image

2) Be flexible on some rules but not on having your daughter dress immodestly

3) Don't let your daughter date unless in a large group until late high school

4) Encourage your daughter to be healthy, not skinny

5) Help your daughter see th
Nicole Pramik
[Taken from my blog: http://scififantasylitchick.wordpress...]

Overview: Five Conversations You Must Have with Your Daughter, by Vicki Courtney, is a parenting book that offers advice on how to broach common topics affecting young girls and teens, including body image, music, and romance. Though this is marketed as a Christian resource, readers can still take away some very general advice even if they don’t prescribe to the Christian faith.

My Take: I suppose I should begin by explaining why I rea
Ruth
I appreciate that these are important conversations that Christian mothers should have with their daughters, but I'm a little sad that the need for a book like this is so great. Having taught high school for a dozen years, I'm aware that even in loving Evangelical homes, girls are not being adequately prepared for the emotional mangler that awaits many of them them when they grow up. I'd add a sixth conversation to this list, though, since in her chapter on preparing a daughter for potential mar ...more
Jen Cragen (MKmaineknitter)
Vicki Courtney wrote Five Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter as her own daughter was going through her senior year and getting ready for going off to college. The book is written from the perspective of Christian mother looking at present day culture and seeing the harmful messages that culture is trying to teach our young women.

I learned that in the last hundred years the advent of indoor plumbing led to mirrors inside homes. This led to women paying more attention to how they look
I downloaded this thinking I could blog my story of hatereading this book with a toddler since, apparently, she and I must have these conversations. But this book is vile. Mean, almost spiteful in its commentary about culture/readers/young women, and somehow managing to be both prudish and vulgar. One gets the uncomfortable feeling that the author enjoys both her righteous indignation about all aspects of popular culture, from Britney Spears to MP3 players (which, for the record, you do not UPLO ...more
Renee
This could have been written in five sentences.
DeAnna
Mar 03, 2014 DeAnna marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
This book was received from the publisher for review via Netgalley.

As the mom of three daughters, this seemed like the perfect book for me, and I really liked the description. However, the execution just didn’t work for me.

I got to 40% before I just couldn’t read anymore. The overall idea of 5 Conversations was pretty good, but reading it just frustrated me. I found the chapters and explanations to be repetitive. Also, I’m not hugely religious, so the huge focus on God, Christian friends, Christ
Brandy Painter
Vicki Courtney has a lot of helpful and important things to say about the subjects she covers in this book and it is very clear that she is a mom who is engaged with the reality of the modern world.

In short the five conversations involve:
1. You are more than the sum of your parts.
2. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up.
3. Sex is great and worth the wait.
4. It's OK to dream about marriage and motherhood.
5. Girls gone wild are a dime a dozen-dare to virtuous.

Each section contains an overview of eve
Gina Hott
Are you a mother? Grandmother? Aunt? Father? Teacher? Coach?
Then I’d suggest you read this book. As everyone knows, girls are absolutely different than anything you’ve ever dealt with — even if you were one yourself. Because of the culture that we have today there is a very slim margin for error in handling situations or even conversations with girls and young ladies.

Take some time to learn the facts and some great insight into the lives and hearts of our next generation.

Hott Review:

A while back
Carrie Daws
Mrs. Courtney very candidly talks about some of the key issues facing our daughters (and sons) today. She reviews the message popularly shared with our teens, and then breaks down each issue with outside research and her own experience in raising her daughter and counseling teen girls, adding in passages from the Bible as appropriate. This combination of research, experience and Scripture are an wonderful mix to prepare parents to talk with their children.

While the statistics are alarming, Mrs.
IrenesBookReviews
Five Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter is a very informative book. The author, Vicki Courtney, is honest about subjects we need to broach with our young girls. She also highlights areas we need to watch in our relationship with our daughters to keep them wanting to talk with us about what is happening in their lives. Her major sources of advice come from verses in the Bible. She stresses that we need to keep these Biblical principles as the guidelines for steering our daughters’ in ...more
Mandy J. Hoffman
Vicki Courtney has written a wonderful resource for mothers. 5 Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter is full of encouraging advice about how to approach the tough topics with your daughter at each stage of her growing up years. She not only shares her advice, but her experiences - both good and bad, and information from a lot research that helps you understand the battle we are facing as women.

While I personally do not agree with absolutely everything Vicki wrote (mostly technique or a
Iola
Five Conversations is full of sensible, biblical advice backed up by extensive social and medical research, and relevant quotes from the Bible. The author also reassures us that “God is more than enough to make up for my parenting insufficiencies along the way”. She makes it clear that the five conversations referred to in the title are not one-off conversations, but ongoing life lessons, to be modelled and reinforced at any available ‘teachable moment’. The five conversations are:

1 You Are More
Hypia Sanches
E-book provided by NetGalley.

Parts of this book are EXACTLY identical to blocks of text from "5 Conversations You Must Have with Your Son". And my reviews for both will be similar too.

Three stars because I enjoyed reading this one more, probably because I'm a daughter, but for me it had the same issues: 1. "Misogynistic" doesn't even begin to describe how awfully prejudiced lots of poor generalizations here are. 2. Too many arguments based on religion. 3. Like in "5 Conversations You Must Have w
Melissa
*Five Conversations... with Your Daughter* is a Christian-based how-to guide on raising daughters in a worldly atmosphere. In this day and age, traditional values have fallen by the wayside as girls and young women are bombarded with social media, peer pressure and multimedia approval of scandalous behavior and appearance. Because parents these days were also raised in a similar environment (think Cosmo magazine), it has become more difficult to raise well behaved and conservative children. This ...more
As a mother of 2 girls ages 8 and 9, there will be difficult, but much needed conversations along the way. While we all have our own parenting styles, this book gives me some thought into approaching subjects that I want to talk to my girls about with the hope of somewhat saving them from the lies of culture.
Karen
The most important reminder in this book is that these necessary conversations are not "once and done".
Kassandra Lindly
As a Christian believer this book had a lot of good points and I'm glad that I purchased it and will purchase 5 conversations to have with your son when my son gets a little older.
Annemarie
This book held some solid advice on raising our girls in todays world. I think there is something to be said for teaching our girls to be virtuous.. To let them know that they are beautifully made and are uniquely designed creations of God. I got to spend a couple of months with some other wonderful women using this book as our focus of study and it truly opened our eyes to the level of which our own parenting influence is needed (even more than when they were just babies) as our girls grow into ...more
Stephanie
Great resource for all moms to read and keep on their shelves. The tone of the book made me feel like I was sitting at coffee with a seasoned mom who has done her research, sought God's wisdom through the Bible and prayer, and shares her experiences candidly. I appreciate that there are tips for three different stages of development - 5 and under, 6 to 12, and 12 and over - which help equip moms to have these conversations at each stage or to jump in at whatever stage you daughter is currently i ...more
Rayn13
Five conversations is a great read for anyone with or planning on having children. It has great advice backed up by scientific evidence to affirm the Bibles teachings. I wish my mother would've came to me with half of what I've read. Whether Christian or not, this opens helps to give you a few points to touch on in opening the dialogue with your children & even though it's geared towards daughters you find yourself wanting to bring some of this up towards your sons.
Stella
Jun 28, 2012 Stella rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Mom's with Daughters
Read once...Then went through Bible Study with Daughter!
It exposed the Lies that the Culture fills our children and even us as parents with.
It shows girls how to face every day issues in a Godly manner, and how to talk about what she needs with her mom.
It gives you the toos to face the critical issues frin the cradle to college.
I would not have missed this time with my daughter.

Not listed, but I also have the 5 conversations....Bible Study ISBN 9781415867341
Mary
This is one to purchase and keep as a reference. I highly recommend it for anyone who has a girl. These are conversations that you begin when your daughter is very young, and they continue until she is out of the house. The depth of the conversations will change as your daughter ages. Many points are things you already know but I certainly needed to reminded to look for ways to incorporate them into our daily lives.
Maria Connor
This is an amazing, current book, filled with distressing (but true) statistics about girls and the pressures they face in our culture. Great advice and wisdom about how to have open communication with your daughters about these topics. I know I will read this multiple times as my girls grow.
Susanna
I'm glad I read this book but am thankful it's not the only parenting book I've read! Good for information/statistics and thought-provoking about what messages I'm sending to my daughter. Definitely not a heart-of-the-issue type book (but that's what Girl Talk and Age of Opportunity are for!)
Cyndie
Great book that gives thoughtful insight about how to create conversations with your daughter about how she will interact with the world that she lives in while not conforming. Liked Vicki Courtney's approach as it gives the latitude to process what you should plan for long term.
April
Practical and realistic advice
Cambria Dehoag
I'm not enjoying this book at all. Too preachy. I like the superficial themes she has in the book, but I could do without her details and rants. I may or may not finish.

I gave up on this book. Some parts just made me too angry and frustrated, so not worth it for me.
Catherine
Loved the advice and felt encouraged. "God is not looking for perfect mothers to raise perfect daughters. He's looking for imperfect mothers who are raising imperfect daughters in an imperfect world, and desperately dependent on a perfect God for the results."
Darci
The statisitics in this book were eye opening!! I appreciated that it was written with a very Christian influence and I thought it gave some great ideas and advice to those of us trying to raise healthy virtuous daughters in this crazy world.
  • Raising A Modern Day Princess
  • Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl
  • The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Don't Make Me Count to Three
  • Godspeed: Making Christ's Mission Your Own
  • Hope For The Weary Mom
  • Bringing Up Girls: Practical Advice And Encouragement For Those Shaping The Next Generation Of Women
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • The Mormonizing of America: How the Mormon Religion Became a Dominant Force in Politics, Entertainment, and Pop Culture
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas for Everyday Discipline
  • Parenting in the pew : guiding your children into the joy of worship
  • Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • She's Gonna Blow!
  • Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe
Vicki Courtney is a speaker and the author of numerous books and Bible studies. For more information, check out her author page at www.VickiCourtney.com.
More about Vicki Courtney...
5 Conversations You Must Have with Your Son Ever After: Life Lessons Learned in My Castle of Chaos Your Girl: Raising a Godly Daughter in an Ungodly World Your Boy: Raising a Godly Son in an Ungodly World Move on: When Mercy Meets Your Mess

“It seems to me that if God felt it best to delay marriage into the latter part of your twenties, He would also see fit to delay the hormonal urge to want to have sex. Or perhaps it was never His intent to delay marriage in an effort to "become more independent," "enjoy singlehood," and "build our careers.” 0 likes
“Proverbs 31:30 that counsels, “Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.” 0 likes