Start by marking “The Second Treatise of Government/A Letter Concerning Toleration” as Want to Read:
The Second Treatise of Government/A Letter Concerning Toleration

The Second Treatise of Government/A Letter Concerning Toleration

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  521 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The first of these two highly influential documents refutes the concept of monarchy's divine right. The second argues for a broad acceptance of alternative religious convictions. The basis of social and political philosophy for generations, these books laid the foundation of the modern democratic state in England and abroad.
Published August 14th 2002 by Dover Publications (first published 1689)

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Treatise of Government/A Letter Concerning Toleration

Roslyn
Feb 14, 2009 Roslyn rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating read. I came to understand Natural Law much better, and it caused me to re-think my parenting and my current level of involvement with local government.

I was intrigued to read several phrases here that ended up in our Declaration of Independence. So fun to read the works the Founders read as they were deciding how to form our Republic!
Brian
Feb 27, 2016 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
Really well written and expressed, unlike other certain dense thinkers.

However, though he comes to many good conclusions, the premises are definitely wobbly.

Just a sampling:

* Individual possession as basis for rights: oddly enough it is the baptists who should tell us better. Man does not possess himself, but is owned by God, therefore everything else he owns, he owns in stewardship for the common good of man. Although Locke insists that mixing labor with land makes property, he knew that the c
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it it was amazing
A masterpiece that refined ideas of the early political philosophers (Aristotle, Hobbes, Rousseau) into what became American government. I can understand why the Federalist authors relied on Locke and see directly his influence in those works. All of the key elements are there: libertarianism (trade-off of commonwealth to protect property against the initiation of force), balance of powers, ultimate recourse of the people, state of nature, benefits of commonwealth, justice. He builds with the el ...more
Joshua Nuckols
Jan 12, 2015 Joshua Nuckols rated it really liked it
I read the Second Treatise, and quickly browsed the Letter.

Observations:

Christians give Locke a pretty bad rap, which I think is unjust. Locke relied heavily upon scripture for making his arguments. From what I've read, his main weakness was in having a less than Calvinist belief as to original sin, but then again, how many...

What is cool, is finding phrases that our Founders used, for instance in documents such as the Declaration: "long train of abuses..."

His contract is not different from the
Pierce
Apr 21, 2007 Pierce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
John Locke is right about more or less everything.
Chris
Sep 03, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Whether or not Hegel was right that history is inevitably moving in a positive direction, he was most assuredly right that History is moving a direction that can limelight past social contradictions. When we look at Locke we see Hegel’s claim completely vindicated. His Second Treatise is both revolutionary for its time, and conservative for ours. Moreover, Locke, while challenging mainstream Political Theory of his day (e.g., Men are beasts in a state of war, and Kings have divine rights, and Mo ...more
CJ Bowen
"Political power, then, I take to be a right of making laws with penalty of death..." 2

"The state of nature has a law of nature to govern it, which obliges every one; and reason, which is that law, teaches all mankind who will but consult it, that, being all equal and independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty, or possessions." 3

"Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy." 14

"For in all the states of created beings capable of laws, where there is no law, the
Jonathan
May 08, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Of all the great scientists, philosophers, religious leaders, and political theorists we studied this past semester, John Locke is my favorite.

In my oral final, I was asked to summarize each political philosopher with one sentence. My sentence for John Locke was, "Jefferson, you're welcome!" The more I read of Locke, the more I saw Jefferson and I loved it!

At some point in my reading this book, I scrawled in the cover the following: "Locke stokes the flames of rebellion, fueled by the embers of
Joshua
Jun 18, 2016 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the basis of western government lies upon a foundation of John Locke's writing, we've pretty much forgotten what he said. This is an essential read for just about anybody who wants to say something intelligent about our political situation.
Christopher
Nov 14, 2013 Christopher rated it liked it
I'm reminded of Pastor Wilson's comment: "The only difference between salad and garbage is timing." Locke was a reasonably clever philosopher whose innovative thinking on government and church probably was timely, but his work is looking rather brown and limp right about now. He couldn't have predicted Secularism, and it has sucker-punched his philosophy. He assumes Christianity (a safe assumption at the time), but his belief that we can find morality and understand government through natural re ...more
Nick Anderson
May 24, 2014 Nick Anderson rated it it was amazing
This made me a libertarian again. His chapter on property destroys the progressive social justice fantasy.
Kathleen
Jul 12, 2016 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
haha classic
Jordan
May 05, 2011 Jordan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
An excellent summary of the ideas and theories that compromise the society and culture of a capitalist republic. Though there are some details that one might dispute, it is clear that Locke is well-versed in his theories, and has an understanding of some of the truths behind human nature. An excellent place to start for anyone who is interested in beginning a study of Political Philosophy.
Lindsey Doolan
Read for Senior Traditio, N-term 2010. I don't think that, as a Christian, I should strictly agree with it, although the American in me was "amen"-ing most of the way through. I did like how dense this book was--think I highlighted something on just about every page. That's how foundational this book is to understanding the foundations of the American government.
Dayla
Feb 13, 2016 Dayla rated it it was amazing
After reading a book about James Madison (author of the first amendment and father of the constitution), I decided to read all of the books that Madison reflected on prior to the Constitutional Convention in 1789. Locke's toleration letter is almost word for word the justification that Madison uses for the separation of church and state.
Elizabeth
Oct 11, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Elizabeth by: A Philosophy Professor
The material might be dense but Locke writes about some very worthwhile topics that every world citizen should familiarize himself or herself with. If we all followed John Locke's ideas, this world would be far less of a mess. These are critical ideas that everyone should be at least vaguely familiar with.
Jill
Nov 27, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jill by: George Wythe College
I learned a great deal from this book, much about natural law, paternal law and duty, about why man forms society and how legislature works and when it doesn't, about conquering and being conquered - it's really a tremendous read. There are many truths to be learned here, highly recommend it!
Aaron
Oct 12, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing
We have John Locke and this essay to thank for our fundamental beliefs in inalienable human rights and freedom from tyranny. If you want to form a real understanding of these principles, not just regurgitated talking points, then this is the book for you. Read this book!
Rachel C.
So, I wrote a review for this when I read it but accidentally deleted a whole bunch of reviews when I was reorganizing my shelves... So I guess I just have to read them all again so I can give accurate reviews :D
Russell
May 27, 2009 Russell rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic book that brought a lot more insight to my study of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. It's slow in some places, but overall it's well worth the time invested in reading it.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 30, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: political
Locke writes about the role of government in the Second Thesis and about government's role in religion in the letter on tolerance. A good view on the political thinking of the period.
Brian
Mar 06, 2007 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Definitely one of the must-read political philosophy books. Better than Leviathan but the two must often be read in concert. The American Founding Fathers all read Locke.
Brittany Petruzzi
Locke's understanding of government accounts for much of what is wrong with America. I wish I could burn this book from the memories of western culture.
Jon-David
Dec 10, 2008 Jon-David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political
John Locke is now one of my heroes. He truly understood governments proper role and how to set it up years before the revolution.
Karl Schissel
Dec 27, 2007 Karl Schissel rated it really liked it
It's interesting to look at the foundation while the house we live in is being torn down.
Elene Beridze
Jun 19, 2015 Elene Beridze rated it it was ok
Locke and Rousseau share similar ideas, as they share a similar score.
Richard
Mar 28, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it
A great read - helped to build the foundation for constitutional democracy.
Ryan
Jan 04, 2008 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Concise and necessary. Read it. Be better for it.
toral
Apr 27, 2007 toral rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like private property
makes an interesting case for executive privilege
May 07, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Boring!
  • Considerations on Representative Government
  • Political Process and the Development of Black Insurgency, 1930-1970
  • Introduction to the Philosophy of History with Selections from The Philosophy of Right
  • On the Motion of the Heart and Blood in Animals
  • Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals/On a Supposed Right to Lie Because of Philanthropic Concerns
  • The Principles of Morals and Legislation
  • Essays: Moral, Political and Literary
  • The Constitution of the United States with the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation
  • The Communist Manifesto and Other Revolutionary Writings: Marx, Marat, Paine, Mao Tse-Tung, Gandhi, and Others
  • Biographia Literaria: Biographical Sketches of my Literary Life & Opinions
  • The Miner's Canary: Enlisting Race, Resisting Power, Transforming Democracy
  • English Romantic Poetry
  • The Spirit of the Laws (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • Howard Zinn on Democratic Education
  • Experimental Researches in Electricity
  • The All New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook: Over 1,250 of Our Best Recipes
  • Windows 7 For Dummies
  • The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers

John Locke was an English philosopher. Locke is considered the first of the British Empiricists, but is equally important to social contract theory. His ideas had enormous influence on the development of epistemology and political philosophy, and he is widely regarded as one of the most influential Enlightenmen
More about John Locke...

“making laws with penalties of death, and consequently” 0 likes
“Freedom then is not what Sir Robert Filmer tells us, O. A.8 55, “a liberty for every one to do what he lists, to live as he pleases, and not to be tied by any laws.” But freedom of men under government is to have a standing rule to live by, common to every one of that society, and made by the legislative power erected in it; a liberty to follow my own will in all things, where the rule prescribes not; and not to be subject to the inconstant, uncertain, unknown, arbitrary will of another man; as freedom of nature is to be under no other restraint but the law of nature.” 0 likes