Start by marking “Do You Think What You Think You Think?” as Want to Read:
Do You Think What You Think You Think?

Do You Think What You Think You Think?

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Is your brain ready for a thorough philosophical health check? Really, it won't hurt a bit...Is what you believe coherent and consistent? Or is it a jumble of contradictions? If you could design yourself a God, what would He (or She, or It) be like? Can you spot the logical flaw in an argument (even if it's hiding from you)? And how will you fare on the tricky terrain of e ...more
Published by Granta, (first published August 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Do You Think What You Think You Think?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do You Think What You Think You Think?

Jasmine
quick and fun. I've gone through this book once before. it's cool to see how much you disagree with yourself.
J.C.
Nobody Ever Went Wrong Thinking About Their Own Thought Processes

"Do You Think What You Think You Think? was a nice little book with fun "thought exercises." This book was briefly discussed on a forum that I frequent, and as I've always been a fun of philosophy and thought exercises, I picked it up immediately (or as fast as the seller shipped it). Unfortunately, I don't think everyone will appreciate this book. With our dualistic and polarized thinking society, it can never hurt to learn a litt
Matthew
This book has a lot of fun philosophical exercises that allow you to perform a self-analysis. The book offers it's own analysis as well, so anyone who likes personality tests might enjoy this. I take issue with the scoring/interpretation in the book occasionally, but overall this was worth my time.
Mark Edon
Another book in my campaign to step outside of my skull and have a good rummage around inside it.

This book catches you out in errors of thought that you didn't know you were making - a fantastic gift to anyone who wants to get better at thinking straight. Be warned, this can be painful. But by the end I was willing myself to find more faults with my thinking.

Doubting yourself can be useful, if you can use this to make a decision now that you can't actually make that decision just yet and furth
Megan
Aug 18, 2008 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pretty much anyone
This is a really interesting book; not so much for what it reveals about you (I assume anyone interested enough in this subject to read it already has a pretty good idea of their own ideas and opinions) but for the questions it raises about the ideas themselves.

There is a clear bias towards the logical and rational, which is interesting considering that most of the quesions it raises deal with the abstract, unanswerable kinds of questions like "what makes art good?" or "what is ethical?" However
Elizabeth
This was definitely an interesting little book - some things to read, a lot of questionnaires. I'm all for anything that encourages readers to question why we believe the things we do, and whether or not our reasoning is as sound as we'd like to think it is. This was a thought-provoking read, and a few times I would have liked to argue a bit with the authors, but that is partly what they were trying to do - get me thinking critically about things.

I would recommend this to a great many people, t
Jim Bouchard
Amazing! Fun! Challenging! Revealing! Frustrating!

One of my martial arts masters once told me: "Frustration is the well from which all wisdom springs." (Or some such thing!)

This book is a series of simple yet challenging exercises that will give you new insights on how you think and how you make decisions. Do these exercises honestly and you're guaranteed to learn something new about yourself.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who is serious about self-improvement and personal development a
Bárbara Nazaré
A must-read for everyone striving for coherence.
Jennifer James
This is a fun little book. The subtitle is "the ultimate philosophical quiz book", and that describes it pretty well. It is full of quizzes which evaluate how logical and consistent your thinking is on topics such as ethics, one's concept of God, free will vs determinism, etc. I was surprised and pleased how logical and consistent I scored as, on many of the tests. The one thing I would have liked is some information on who the authors are and what their credentials are, to give me some sense of ...more
Scott Rachui
This is a simple little book that plays mind games with you in order to show where your thinking might not be as well developed as you had thought. It asks questions, poses logical puzzles, and generally provides an interesting afternoon's diversion. I had a good time with it. It's not extremely deep, but it isn't intended to be. It's purpose it to introduce you to logical thought, and show that you (almost certainly) don't use logic nearly as much as you might have thought before starting this ...more
Natalie
This was interesting. At times I disagreed with them (I am officially unethical, but I knew that I didn't always put my limited money where I felt I should...)

It was a fun little experiment though. And bonus - it came with my sister's answers. We scored very similar in some places and very different in others. Just what I'd expect. I was happy to see that we both react to things differently if it's family involved. We wouldn't turn each other in for being criminals :-)
Tescah
A very enjoyable read. It was interesting and even disconcerting to note how often we contradict our own beliefs and impose double standards without even knowing it. Definitely a good book to read if you'd like to organize your thoughts!

Some quizzes are pretty humbling though...especially the final one - what i know about philosophy isn't worth knowing...really?!

Highly recommended if you don't mind having your beliefs shaken up for a while.
Dillon
Alright book. I thought the book was going to be a great amount of explanations on how people think but it really wasnt. The book mainly consisted of little games to see how you think about certain aspects. So it was an okay book. defiantly wasnt a hard read but some of the games made no sense. If you want to read it go for it but theres better books out there for sure.
Shalyn
I had a lot of fun with this book. It may teach only a little about philosophy, but it has the potential to teach the reader a lot about himself. There were places that I disagreed with some of the authors' assumptions, but overall I would definitely recommend the book. It's good to give the brain a workout now and then.
Katy
Labeled "The Ultimate Philosophical Handbook," this is definitely an exercise in active reading. Even if you find you don't, in fact, think what you think you think, this book will (dare I say it) make you think. More here
Dennis Hettinger
This was a tough read. I picked this book up several times over the past year and a half and read a few pages. Then over the holidays, I decided to finish it. Although a bit dry at points, it is well worth the effort if you want a better understanding of why we think the way we do.
Caroline
Interesting enough. Lots of fun little quizzes, which are much more fun if you do with a partner, as I am doing, and compare your answers. Philosophy scenarios are written at about high school level, so it isn't too dry and moves faster than the source materials.
Tylor Lovins
This is a fun little exercise in traditional philosophy, although the conclusions of the authors are largely untouched by recent developments of philosophy. I would recommend this to young people although with reservations and a lesson about surface grammar.
Nathan Schwartz
One of my favorite philosophy books. It’s easy to think that the big questions aren’t that interesting or meaningful, but when you find inconsistencies in your own answers to simple questions, then the big philosophical questions become much more personal.
Kharm
Apr 10, 2011 Kharm rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This book is absolutely fascinating. I highly recommend it to anyone who thinks their thoughts are logical, or if they just want to get their thoughts in order.

Now I just wish I could remember where I put it...
Nurshafiqa
this book is such a pleasure to read, and participate in. the numerous tests inside made me feel like i had gained some new perspectives on how i think i think.
:p

i did not know philosophy could be this fun.
Rob
Jul 02, 2009 Rob marked it as to-read
This author is mentioned in the book "Quotable Atheists" which is, itself, a large collection of quotes from notable atheists. I'm making it a point to read these books to gain more insight into Atheism.
Louise
Not sure it's "The Ultimate Philosophical Quiz Book", but it is fun and it does make you review the ways in which you think, and shows you where your thought processes may be contradictory.
Jesse Winslow
This is a collection of phun philosophical exercises, 12 to be exact. I was entertained and learned a little bit about myself in the process.
*heartrl*
Pretty fun book to test your philosophies.
It's a great time waster and fun to get you thinking- even though I disagree with a few things.
Dave
According to this book my thinking is remarkably self-consistent and I am a fairly logical person. Clearly something is wrong.
Visakan
A philosophical health check that weeds out incoherence and inconsistency in your thinking. Pleasurably painful.
Khalid
Very interesting book. Makes you think, and shows you a lot about yourself and others. I recommend it for fun.
Derick
Mar 08, 2009 Derick rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: novice moral philosophers
Good for people who would like a tutorial on moral and logic philosophy. It's full of games thereof.
Silja
It appears I did think what I thought I thunk.... mostly. Very interesting self analysis.
  • The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten: 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher
  • Irrationality
  • Everything You Pretend to Know And Are Afraid Someone Will Ask
  • The Right Way to Do Wrong: A Unique Selection of Writings by History's Greatest Escape Artist
  • Evil in Modern Thought: An Alternative History of Philosophy
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • The Essential Difference: Male And Female Brains And The Truth About Autism
  • Utilitarianism: For and Against
  • How to Be an Existentialist: or How to Get Real, Get a Grip and Stop Making Excuses
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • Logic: A Very Short Introduction
  • Meditations and Other Metaphysical Writings
  • Selected Essays
  • Introduction to Logic
Jeremy Stangroom is a British writer, editor, and website designer. He is an editor and co-founder, with Julian Baggini, of The Philosophers’ Magazine, and has written and edited several philosophy books. He is also co-founder, with Ophelia Benson of the website 'Butterflies and Wheels'.
More about Jeremy Stangroom...
Would You Eat Your Cat? Key Ethical Conundrums and What They Tell You About Yourself Einstein's Riddle: Riddles, Paradoxes, and Conundrums to Stretch Your Mind Little Book of Big Ideas: Philosophy The Great Philosophers (From Socrates to Foucault) What Philosophers Think