Key to the Treasure

Key to the Treasure (Liza, Bill & Jed Mysteries)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Each summer Lisa, Bill, and Jed visit their grandparents, and they hear the story of the sketches hung above the mantel. The sketches are clues to a hidden treasure, and no one has been able to figure them out for a century. There is a missing first clue, but when the children stumble upon the second clue, they're on their way. Could it be that on this visit they will solv...more
Published March 8th 2005 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1966)

Lisa
A 1966 puzzle mystery by the author of the Amelia Bedelia series. Three quintessentially WASPy children search for buried Indian treasure while spending summer vacation at their grandparents' farm. The book sounds kind of like an eight year-old wrote it, but in a way that's perfect for an eight year-old to read.

I disliked the underlying message that "Indians are people who used to live here and now don't--wonder how that happened?--but gee, it sure is cool that they left behind nifty artifacts...more
Talia
I first read this book back in the mid-80s when I was in third grade. This is one of the few series I've kept from my childhood. Since it's a rainy day, I thought it might be fun to give it a go (considering I started this series on a rainy day as a child). I read this series countless times during my elementary school years, but I haven't touched these books in almost 20 years. Yes, they're dated. They're simple. But, they're still fun and they bring back fond memories.

What's interesting to me...more
Heidi
I loved this book as a child, and read it many times. I just finished reading it with my 7-year-old, who enjoyed it as much as I did. The story is about three kids who solve a number of puzzles and clues in order to find a treasure of family legend. The puzzles were a bit of a challenge for my son, but he found it exciting to try and solve them himself. To a modern reader, parts of the book are rather quaint and old-fashioned: the dated language the characters use, the idyllic setting on the swe...more
Evy Freedman
My dad was looking through all his old books and brought tuns of them to us and one of them was this book KEY TO THE TREASURE and i absolutely loved it!
Steven
One of my favorite childhood reads. :D
Hannah Holida
This is a great kids book. My grandmother gave me it when for a birthday a few years ago. The copy was made in 1966 and had my father's name and the year he read it written in it. Now I'm reading it to my nephew and he loves the "silly mask" AKA the ferocious looking mask used to scare away evil spirits. Anyway if you can get your hands on the older copy the illustrations are great! All together I will treasure this book for years to come!
Meg
Granted, I probably haven't read this since I was 11 or so, but this was one of my favorite books when I was young. Imagine how very surprised I was today to discover that there were actually a whole bunch of children's mystery books featuring these kids! Anyway, if you've got a kid, get this for them to read.
Hokomoko
I just finished reading this to my son. As each time I've read it to a child (or had it read to me,) it holds up perfectly. The kids maintain dignity even while there are expectations of them in the surrounding (and very supportive) adult world. Highly recommended.
Maureen
I loved this book when I was a kid and my kids love it too. They are 4 and 7, one of each gender, and begged me to keep reading until we finished it. They laughed hard several times and were thrilled by the mystery and the ending. It's simple enough for a young child to understand but exciting enough for an older child to love it too.
Heather
I first read this book as a kid and remember loving it. The book is very unique in the fact that the puzzles that Jed, Bill, and Liza find can be solved by the reader before reading how the kids solve it. So it's a true puzzle-solving mystery. I still worked the puzzles myself this time as well. However, I appreciated more of the story as an adult. It shows the importance of one's family history being past down through the generations. I feel this is an excellent example of a children's classic...more
Dolly
May 27, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is an entertaining book in the Liza, Bill, & Jed Mysteries series by Peggy Parish. Unfortunately our local library only has one of them, so I may have to purchase the others.

This story was originally published in 1960, but it's still very fun to read and doesn't feel too out of date. Our girls loved solving the puzzles and were excited to finish the story. We read the book at three separate times throughout the day, they were so eager to get to the end. We really enjoyed reading this b...more
Hallie O'malley
This is an awesome mystery book! I really like the old goose! He's really funny! Every kid should read this book.
Kathy
I read this when I was a kid. Mysteries were never my favorite genre, but I remember enjoying it. Now my reluctant third-grade reader (who does like mysteries) is enjoying it as well. Fun for kids who like to solve puzzles and coded messages. You can try to solve them yourself or just read the story as is. Fun fact: The author, Peggy Parish, is most famous for writing the Amelia Bedelia books, but this mystery series of hers has also stood the test of time. It is still regularly checked out in m...more
Natalie
Another book from my childhood that I LOVED. I'm going to have to think about whether or not to give it to Sam yet - she could definitely read it but part of the story is about someone who goes away to war and dies. He has 3 children so I think that it would make Sam sad - I'll either wait a little or find a way to prepare her for it. In those situations I remind her it's a story and sometimes to make the story really good people have to find ways to get rid of some people so they normally kill...more
Phoebe
A total winner for an almost-9-year-old--we started reading and he didn't want to stop. A bit old fashioned, but Parish gets right to the point and plunges us into three children's search for a hundred-year-old treasure. Who wouldn't be instantly involved in the story of a man who leaves for the Civil War, but first gives his children a clue and an invitation to a treasure hunt. The clue is ruined, and the children are never able to solve the puzzle, since their father is killed. Now, a hundred...more
Jasmyn
Update: Hannah and I just finished this book and I/we loved it! It's so fast and fun--a great read for a beginning reader too, boy or girl. I loved the mystery behind it and how it ends. It was nice to get through something fast with Hannah...now we can settle down to Swiss Family Robinson or something. :)

I loved this book as a kid, probably because my dad loved it so much too. I'm going to read it to Hannah since it's a fun, short read and I just looked on my shelves and realized I own it!
Jeanne
One of the best kids' books!
Anne
I read this book in third grade and loved it. All 3 of my kids have also read it at that age. Not sure if they loved it quite as much as I did, but a good story. Stereotypical portrayal of Native Americans (written in the 60's), but good for discussion. Very much in the line of the Sherwood Ring -- family mystery from the past solved by clever young people!
Kim
This is a great book to keep your kids busy in the summer. You can read ahead and give them the clues to work out. I used to give this book as a gift to my children's teachers. My daughter's 3rd grade teacher still reads it out loud each year to her classes and makes them do the sleuthing. May have to look for it as it is out of print.
This is kind of a pre-Nancy Drew mystery for those that are beyond Boxcar Children/ Bobbsey Twins but not quite ready for Nancy or the Hardy Boys. It is not great but young readers will likely be surprised and enjoy the plot twists and turns.Bonus: Peggy Parish, of Amelia Bedilia fame is the author.
Bonnie
This was my favorite book as a kid and for years I've tried to remember the title and was only able to remember the illustrations until I stumbled upon it finally not too long ago. I love the detail in the mystery and the codes you get to solve as you go along. I'd expect nothing less from Peggy Parish.
Lynette
I read this book so much when I was a kid that it's falling apart now. I used to spend a lot of time on my grandma's farm, and I would actually make up games based on the book so that my younger cousins could find their own treasure!
Melonie Piper
My mom read this book to me and my brothers when we were kids. We plowed through it in one day, just reading for hours. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I re-read it on my own several times. It's a fantastic mystery book for kids.
Lindsay McLean
My mom just let me borrow her copy from when from when she was a kid. It has a much cooler cover than this one -yellow screen printing- and is from the Weekly Reader Book club. Super cool and vintage and a wonderful little story.
Amber
I have loved this book since I was little - even though the book was in the hardcover upside down. :) It's very simple but it brings lots of memories. I'm sure I will read it to Trent and Tyler several more times.
Christian
This is a good book because their grandparents have an Indian headdress. And in one of the feathers there is a secret note. It's a great mystery!

I just learned that the same lady wrote the "Amelia Bedelia" books!
Veronica Bareman
Loved this book that my mom handed down to me. Now I have enjoyed reading it to my 4 year old son and will enjoy reading it with him when he can read alone! Super fun story with great puzzles that add to the fun!
Steven
Read this again when my daughter picked it up from the library. The first time I read it, I was around her age (8). It is such a great story and an exciting treasure hunt. It truly is a timeless story!
Cortney
One of the best kids' books ever! I've read this book at least 8 times since I was 10. While at their grandparents' home, the kids discover riddles for a treasure. Pretty much AMAZING.
Dawn
This is a excellent Childrens Mystery!!! I loved reading it with Michael and I couldn't wait to read it the next day!!
Do you like mysteries Kelly? If you do I think you would like it.
  • Race Against Time (Nancy Drew, #66)