Start by marking “How to Get Happily Published: A Complete and Candid Guide” as Want to Read:
How to Get Happily Published: A Complete and Candid Guide

How to Get Happily Published: A Complete and Candid Guide

The classic, bestselling guide to getting published In the 20 years since it first appeared, hundreds of thousands of writers'professionals as well as beginners--have read, followed and benefited from How to Get Happily Published. This new edition adds material on making deals with publishers (and what's important), working with small publishers (and when that's preferable ...more
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 400 pages
Published April 8th 1998 by Collins Reference (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Happily Published, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Happily Published

MariNaomi
Mar 16, 2010 MariNaomi rated it really liked it
I'm currently going through the publishing process for the first time, and I picked up this book (a gift long ago from my beloved aunt, may she rest in peace) to make sure I'm doing everything right. Although the book is dated (this version was printed in 1992 so it doesn't talk about internet promotions and other current marketing tactics), there are some good ideas here, and I particularly found her section on sales/promotions helpful. Another interesting section was on self-publishing, which ...more
Rob
I'm sure that there are some useful tid-bits in here but right in the first chapter we get: ...they [writers] rely on common-sense measures to improve their writing skills. Which pretty much put me right off wanting to continue. But the title isn't How to Be a Happy Writer, it's How to Get Happily Published. Circling back on the table of contents, it seems that there's precious little to say about getting the manuscript in front of editorial eyes and on to the next phase (instead of into the slu ...more
Matea
So, I referenced the outdated one, but my library didn't have the fifth version. I actually think I first picked up the first edition, so I'm glad I at least /found/ a newer version.
Wow. Lots of information. I didn't even have time to read all of it, I mainly focused on the self-publishing part, but there is a lot of great resources at the end of the book. Probably would be very helpful to some people.
Ryan K Alford
Dec 31, 2013 Ryan K Alford rated it liked it
Shelves: on-writing
How to Get Happily Published is a nice, general overlook of the publishing process and industry, circa 1998. If you're looking for the most update-to-date advice and tactics for inticing your future dream agent or publisher--this is not the book to invest in. However,It's short (roughly 250 pages, and even shorter depending on what sections are actually relevant for you), and well-structured in painting broad strokes to suffice as a gateway into more specific books on the subject.
Jacob
Mar 02, 2008 Jacob added it
I think there should probably be an analogy for what being published means to a writer. I think, this analogy is probably really fitting and probably a little too close to the bone for some. I imagine, once put onto paper or spoken aloud, this analogy will have the force of conviction and depth so profound that even the most cynical and pessimistic among us will be moved to tears.
Alexis
Sep 23, 2014 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This book was recommended to our group by Lawrence Hill this summer. It contains a lot of information about publishing and marketing, along with resources in the back.

It's a bit dated though, but still worth a read.
Tatra
Jun 05, 2015 Tatra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, 2015, 2015-june
I read this for the amusement factor and also because it belonged to my grandma. This edition was published back in 1992, and some things have changed since then. I am more likely to go online to find the answers now.
Sheri
Jan 30, 2009 Sheri rated it liked it
Read it but had to skim the end as it was due at the library and someone else was in line for it. Didn't receive any new information but confirmed what I had heard at writing classes and workshops. Was helpful.
Apryl Anderson
if it works, then I'll be back to give it 5 stars
Douglas Wilson
Feb 15, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: wordsmithing
Decent.
Fredrick Danysh
The author explores the ins and out of getting what your have written published. She gives tips on how to get your work looked at and some general rules to follow.
Phyllis
May 11, 2011 Phyllis rated it really liked it
Mount Laurel Library
070.5

Excellent book. Indexed.
Lengthy list of resources.
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
May 21, 2012
Virginia Boylan
Virginia Boylan rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2012
Brian Conn
Brian Conn rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Scott Combs
Scott Combs rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2015
James Elwood
James Elwood rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
April Brown
April Brown rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2011
Aaron Linsdau
Aaron Linsdau rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Stuart Aken
Stuart Aken rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2011
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Thomas Clardy
Thomas Clardy rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Steven Farmer
Steven Farmer rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2010
Maggie Reed
Maggie Reed rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2012
Ally
Ally rated it liked it
May 22, 2011
Ande
Ande rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Boniface Wolfsong
Boniface Wolfsong rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »