Rescue Me

Rescue Me

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Over her fifteen years at Battersea Dogs Home, Melissa meets as many eccentric humans as animals — from frail old men looking for a companion to famous folk who’ve lost their favourite hound.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published September 15th 2009 by Ebury Digital (first published January 1st 2009)

Julie
This is a gem of a book for all dog lovers, Melissa Wareham turned up at Battersea dogs home in the 80's when you could get a job based on your enthusiasm and personality, rather than the fact you had x ammount of degrees and exams !She got the job never having worked with dogs before but just loved them and stayed for 15 years working in all departments.this takes you behind the scenes and is full of heartwarming stories of the dogs which are re-homed and the circumsrances the staff have to wor...more
Claire
This autobiographical novel was what led me, back in year 10, to write 2,000 words on small animal charities and the impact the economy and recession had on them. As an animal lover and a dog owner this book enthused me even more. I've always tinkered with the idea of working with animals and "Rescue Me" placed it in a stark and truthful light yet showed just how much good work Battersea does. If you're an animal lover, especially a dog lover, or have ever considered working with animals then yo...more
Sharon
I love, love, love this book. There are stories in here that made me cry, but some that made me laugh as well. Like the author of this book, I just love dogs, and I can see how she could call this her dream job, despite the sad cases, and the amount of dogs that would have passed through Battersea's doors.
Love this book, and am considering buying a copy to give to someone as a gift. Great read.
Hazel Stanton
I think that being a dog lover made this read more palatable, its not that the book is bad, but the picture it paints is a little rose tinted and as such the read becomes a little tedious in the second half
Cybèle
Sweet book but went on a bit too long - yes, they do great work, but there are only so many happy ever after dog stories you can read. I skimmed over the last few chapters and decided to call it a day!
Hannah
Nov 12, 2010 Hannah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: dog lovers
An excellent book documenting a woman's 15 years at Battersea dogs home. A fantastic read, full of laughter joy and a tear jerker at times. Excellent, compelling and one that I couldn't put down.
Andrea
Having been involved with animal rescue groups since I was a kid, this read was like seeing familiar friends on the other side of the world. Long live the rescue community! A funny cute little read.
Tracey Lee- batt
The most fabulous book! Anyone who has ever had a dog or would love a dog should read this book. I couldn't put it down.
So well written funny and touching.
Ria
An interesting story and a revealing insight into the life of a worker at Battersea dogs home.
At times brutal though in recounting cases cruelty.
aixin
It's totally fantastic, I fell over laughing loads of times, and it even made me love dogs as much as my sister does!
Smilez99
Nice. If you are a dog-lover, this is the right book for you.
MikeR
A heart warming read.
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Jude
Jude marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Kelly
Kelly is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2013
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Correct title and author 4 22 Mar 06, 2012 12:08PM
Take Me Home: Tales of Battersea Dogs Rescuing Gus Take Me Home: Tales of Battersea Dogs Winston Windsor and the Diamond Jubilee