Start by marking “Rescue Me” as Want to Read:
Rescue Me

Rescue Me

Over her fifteen years at Battersea Dogs Home, Melissa meets as many eccentric humans as animals — from frail old men looking for a companion to famous folk who’ve lost their favourite hound.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published September 15th 2009 by Ebury Digital (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rescue Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rescue Me

Julie
Oct 09, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
This is a gem of a book for all dog lovers, Melissa Wareham turned up at Battersea dogs home in the 80's when you could get a job based on your enthusiasm and personality, rather than the fact you had x ammount of degrees and exams !She got the job never having worked with dogs before but just loved them and stayed for 15 years working in all departments.this takes you behind the scenes and is full of heartwarming stories of the dogs which are re-homed and the circumsrances the staff have to wor ...more
Claire
Jun 14, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
This autobiographical novel was what led me, back in year 10, to write 2,000 words on small animal charities and the impact the economy and recession had on them. As an animal lover and a dog owner this book enthused me even more. I've always tinkered with the idea of working with animals and "Rescue Me" placed it in a stark and truthful light yet showed just how much good work Battersea does. If you're an animal lover, especially a dog lover, or have ever considered working with animals then yo ...more
Anna Ciddor
Sep 23, 2016 Anna Ciddor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has all the charm of a book about endearing dogs, with the interest of what it is like to work at a dog rescue centre. The author has a warm, casual voice. Sad bits, as you would expect, in a book about maltreated dogs, and also some emotional passages about other losses in the author's life, but mostly a 'feel-good' story. Listened on audio read by the author.
Sheena
I mean, a book about dogs written by someone who loves dogs? What more could I ask for? :)
This book reminded me of a lot of things I've been saying I'll apply to my life.
It reminded me that you can live off what you love, what you're passionate about.

It reminded me that even though you're the only one who gravitates in a certain direction, you should be brave enough to follow through.
Rachel
Oct 19, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r, 2014, female-author
This was a feel good read if not particularly challenging. And i'm a bit of a sucker for a happy ending when it comes to animals (much more so than with people). It follows the changing job role of Wareham, who works in Battersea dogs home and the mixture of characters she meets - both human and animal. It gives you some insight into what happens in the home on a daily basis as well as the struggles that are to be met. These are a mix of the tragic circumstances surrounding the arrival of some o ...more
Sharon
Nov 03, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love this book. There are stories in here that made me cry, but some that made me laugh as well. Like the author of this book, I just love dogs, and I can see how she could call this her dream job, despite the sad cases, and the amount of dogs that would have passed through Battersea's doors.
Love this book, and am considering buying a copy to give to someone as a gift. Great read.
Hazel Stanton
Apr 12, 2013 Hazel Stanton rated it liked it
I think that being a dog lover made this read more palatable, its not that the book is bad, but the picture it paints is a little rose tinted and as such the read becomes a little tedious in the second half
Cybèle
Aug 14, 2012 Cybèle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Sweet book but went on a bit too long - yes, they do great work, but there are only so many happy ever after dog stories you can read. I skimmed over the last few chapters and decided to call it a day!
Hannah
Nov 12, 2010 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
An excellent book documenting a woman's 15 years at Battersea dogs home. A fantastic read, full of laughter joy and a tear jerker at times. Excellent, compelling and one that I couldn't put down.
Andrea
Feb 06, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: animal-books
Having been involved with animal rescue groups since I was a kid, this read was like seeing familiar friends on the other side of the world. Long live the rescue community! A funny cute little read.
Tracey Lee- batt
Jan 20, 2013 Tracey Lee- batt rated it it was amazing
The most fabulous book! Anyone who has ever had a dog or would love a dog should read this book. I couldn't put it down.
So well written funny and touching.
Ria
Sep 16, 2010 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story and a revealing insight into the life of a worker at Battersea dogs home.
At times brutal though in recounting cases cruelty.
aixin
Jun 11, 2015 aixin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
It's totally fantastic, I fell over laughing loads of times, and it even made me love dogs as much as my sister does!
MikeR
Mar 06, 2012 MikeR rated it really liked it
A heart warming read.
Peter Hull
Peter Hull rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Madison Anderson
Madison Anderson rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Sky Mileto
Sky Mileto rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Camille Mccrindle
Camille Mccrindle rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
mpmcevilly
mpmcevilly rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Rose O
Rose O rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Michelle Machin
Michelle Machin marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Angela Bowron
Angela Bowron rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016