Start by marking “Asterix and the Magic Carpet” as Want to Read:
Asterix and the Magic Carpet

Asterix and the Magic Carpet (Astérix #28)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,117 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Cacofonix's tuneless singing always makes it rain - which is just what they want in Rajah Watzit's distant Eastern kingdom. The guru Hoodunnit has threatened to end a terrible drought by sacrificing lovely Princess Orinjade. Can the Gauls, flown in on the fakir Watziznehm's magic carpet, rescue her? The bard's finest hour has come.
Published March 21st 2002 by Asterix (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Asterix and the Magic Carpet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix and the Magic Carpet

Agoaye Leblog
Dec 30, 2015 Agoaye Leblog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une aventure d'Asterix et Obélix qui compte parmi mes préférées.
Humour et aventure sont au rendez-vous pour des dessins dépaysants
Jose Cepeda
Exquisite artwork, but poor plot.
Steef
Jun 07, 2014 Steef rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strips, nederlands
The Asterix with some of the most beautiful pictures is also one of the most boring ones. Linear storyline without any real depth, like the older ones.

Obelix' stupidity and cravings for food are a bit too much for my taste. It lacks the humour it had in, say, The Soothsayer.
Bruce
Jul 15, 2010 Bruce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Asterix the Magic Carpet – a mediocre Uderzo plot that serves as an excuse for exquisite artwork (the ancient world from above); Cacofonix is flown by magic carpet from Gaul to a parched land of the Ganges in the hopes his horrible singing will summon a delinquent monsoon.
Manuel Chiofi
Feb 28, 2016 Manuel Chiofi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non è il cielo a cadere sulla testa dei Galli, ma un fachiro indiano arrivato in Armorica sul suo tappeto volante per chiedere aiuto ad Asterix ed Obelix. Nella valle del Gange non piove da settimane e la figlia del rajah sta per essere sacrificata per propiziare gli dei. Così i nostri amici partono con il bardo al seguito per salvare la ragazza e far tornare la pioggia.
Albo dove i nostri fanno un lunghissimo viaggio e Uderzo ne approfitta per inserire tanti rimandi a vecchi albi e tantissimi gi
Luís Blue Coltrane
Book bought by my aunt Elizabeth for my 13th birthday.They brought to me by France,specially for me!!
Fen Foxwood
Aug 29, 2015 Fen Foxwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has got to be one of my favorites in the whole series, but this review goes for all of them.

Why is this odd little graphic novel so popular? Well, that's because it's actually... Really, really good. The first time a started reading one I was quite confused and weirded out, but I soon grew to love it. It has great humor, fantastic writing, and beautifully developed characters. This series is timeless, and I think they all deserve 5 stars.
Kiki
May 14, 2008 Kiki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kiki by: my dad
Asterix memang nggak ada matinyeee!!
thanks to penerjemahnya yang dahsyat menginterpretasi kelucuan Asterix ke dalam local content. misalnya kata silly diterjemahkan menjadi dogol, instead of bodoh. kadar lucunya jadi naik. hehehe.
Kebayang si Assurancetourix yang biasa dicemooh bangsanya sendiri karena selalu meruntuhkan langit bin bikin gerimis mengundang di atas kepala mereka setiap kali menyanyi, kali ini malah dielu-elukan oleh bangsa India karena "kedodolannya" itu. Yah, bagaimana nggak sena
heidi
Jun 13, 2015 heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the hilarious books in the series. Cacophonix (Troubadix in the German version) and his horrible singing, the "Indian gods" fight, standing joke about Obelix and his ravenous eating, and much more!

I thoroughly enjoyed the humor. Some dry, some offbeat, some was typical rehashed jokes from previous books but it was funny nonetheless.
Matthew Hunter
Proof that Goscinny and Uderzo really needed each other to create a great work. At the time of this installment's original release, Author Goscinny had died, and illustrator Uderzo attempted to continue the Asterix franchise. The plot suffers, and the storytelling reeks.

Subtle wit? Gone. Social commentary? Nada. Name puns? Still there, but not even remotely funny anymore. Honestly, there's zero depth to the humor. Uderzo has Obelix uncork "beauties" like "This leaves me cold" as their magic carp
Linda Hall
May 28, 2014 Linda Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
Shravanthi Kripa
I'm gonna take all the jokes on Indians in good humor and laugh at this hilarious comic. Watziznehm..the flying fakir....lol. that airborne battle invoking Hindu Gods was hilarious !
Matti Karjalainen
Vuonna 1987 alun perin ilmestyneessä albumissa Albert Uderzo on jo yksin puikoissa, mutta tarina on siitä huolimatta ihan hyvä ja sanaleikit yllättävän hupaisia ja toimivia.
Frahorus
Apr 22, 2014 Frahorus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fumetti
Le mille e una notte alla maniera dei mitici Asterix e Obelix che viaggiano con il loro musicista e un fachiro indiano per i cieli di mezzo mondo! Risate e gag una dopo l'altra!
Vicente L Ruiz
Great art, meh story... part of that period when Uderzo's plotting, which was never good in the first place, is at its worst. Easy puns, no depth.

Just liked it.
Susan
Apr 04, 2016 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun amusing addition to your Latin curriculum. Even "cool" junior high and high schoolers will enjoy this break from some of the dryness of learning Latin.
Saint No Stopping Us

Five out of ten. CBR format.

Cacofonix is a terrible bard but he does seem to influence the weather. Rain is needed in a far Eastern Kingdom, can Cacofonix help?

Jerome
Apr 24, 2015 Jerome rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cacofonix has a habit of causing it to rain when he sings, son when an Indian mystic arrives on a magic carpet, Cacofonix agrees to help the man bring rain to his drought-plagued homeland, and Asterix and Obelix accompany them. The sultan’s evil vizier is planning to sacrifice the sultan’s daughter in order to restore the rain and take over India.

The book includes the usual humor and parodies of Indian culture.
Edward Davies
Aug 24, 2015 Edward Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
India has fun poked at it in this story that I loved as a child and as an adult.
Vasco Ribeiro
escrito só por uderzo, a história perde muitas das subtilezas de texto dos primeiros livros. Um faquir vem até à gália à procura do gaulês cuja voz faz chover (é o bardo assurancetourix), uma vez que uma princesa da pérsia vai morrer ao fim de 1001 horas se não chover no seu país em sacrifício aos deuses. a viagem é num tapete voador e ao longo fazem-se achegas da vida moderna que se contextualizam, mas são muito superficiais
Emily
May 26, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who grew up reading Asterix
It's been years since I've read any Asterix and Obelix comics (I'm afraid to say that I learned quite a lot of my ancient history from these guys). I'd forgotten how Asterix (like most good cartoons) is based on such absurd plotting. I'd also forgotten that Obelix was so obsessed with food (how could I possibly have forgotten that?). What I hadn't forgotten is how chock-full of puns the books are, as well as being full of European stereotypes about every and all cultures (no one is safe. Not eve ...more
Namitha Varma
Sep 29, 2015 Namitha Varma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Too many factual mistakes in the Indianisms, but what the heck ;)
Greg
Jan 29, 2016 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the more modern type stories.
Arun Jawarlal
May 31, 2015 Arun Jawarlal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent adventure with an Indian twist
Gizelle S.H
Great comic books! :D
Tina
Aug 01, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very inventive names as usual, love the book.
Snufkin
Sep 01, 2014 Snufkin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 'puntastic' story!
Amalie
Asterix in India!!! Finally! What can I say about this other than that the appeal of the Asterix books is universal, and timeless. As a child I enjoyed the antics; as an adult I enjoy the puns and historical allusions.

I was laughing out loud reading the medical diagnosis to Cacofonix's illness, ( He has lost his voice, the moment it is needed :P) and then their treatment to it!!! Really a South Asian or an Indian will understand the pun better! For me that's the best bit.
Feldy
This book has it all, comedy, love, sadness.
Great book
Arsnoctis
Uno dei 5 volumi che ho preferito della serie, Voto effettivo [4.5 ]
Per un breve approfondimento sulla serie e sui volumi che ho preferito, lascio il link al post che ho scritto sul mio blog su questo tema.
  • Asterix and the Laurel Wreath (Asterix, #18)
Albert Uderzo is a legendary French artist and illustrator, best known for his collaborations with the late René Goscinny on series such as Asterix.
More about Albert Uderzo...

Astérix (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Asterix, #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)