Start by marking “The Devil's Hour (Laura Cardinal #3)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Hour (Laura Cardinal #3)

The Devil's Hour (Laura Cardinal #3)

“J. Carson Black's THE DEVIL'S HOUR is a superior mystery novel in all respects. Fine prose, terrific suspense, believable characters, and one of the most unexpected and satisfying conclusions I've read in a long time. Highly recommended."
— John Lescroart, New York Times bestselling author of DAMAGE

Laura Cardinal: Packs a SIG Sauer P226 9mm. Investigates homicides in sma
Published (first published January 1st 2007)

Chris
Jan 15, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
When I read the first two books in the series, I loved tracing the story in, around, and through the Tucson I know and love. I've hunted for years for more in the series, to no avail, until I stumbled across a reference to the series here on Goodreads. Apparently there ARE more in the series, but they're in ebook form. Fine with me! I flew through this installment, and loved it. The story was well told (although I wish there had been a few more surprises), but the descriptions of many places whe ...more
Quillracer
Aug 19, 2014 Quillracer rated it it was ok
Shelves: freebie
I have pretty much the same comments about this book, the third in the series, as I had about the first one:

There were a few places where the story seemed to jump ahead, as if some forward motion in the investigation had taken place but Black forgot to include it.

Revelation of the bad guy seemed to come out of nowhere, as if Black got to a certain point in her writing and realized she hadn’t figured out who it was supposed to be, so she said, “Let’s make it him.” Prior to that point, she gave th
Sharon Michael
Feb 05, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it liked it
I may pick others in this series up if they become available at the library but while they are good, solidly written mysteries with complex plots and reasonably good characterization I still didn't really get 'hooked' on the series.

I do think I've figured out why, however. The overall tone of the books is simply darker and more pessimistic than I prefer in my entertainment. There seems to be a pervasive sense of 'never going to go right' in the main character's personal life that is depressing a
Dee
Aug 28, 2013 Dee rated it it was amazing
I really like these books. There is so much story to them. Different story lines, but they all end up intersecting. The boys need to start listening to Laura and, come on J. Carson, let Laura have some semblance of a decent romantic interlude. She deserves it. Every man she is attracted to or has admiration for doesn't need to be a bad guy or end up dead.

I know if I told you too much I would give away the many story lines, but I highly recommend these books if you like mystery, suspense, and som
Elaine
Oct 26, 2014 Elaine rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
For me, the location of a book is one of the most important characters, and I used to live in Tucson, so I read this book for the nostalgia. I wasn't disappointed - the book captures the intense summer desert heat that I used to love to hate, and the mountains that were such a relief to go to. I liked the story too - a fast moving mystery with well-developed characters and interesting plot twists. The main story line about two kidnapped girls was compelling; a second strand of the action, about ...more
Joan Reeves
Sep 19, 2013 Joan Reeves rated it it was amazing
Laura Moved to Cold Cases

In The Devil's Hour, Laura has been assigned to the cold case unit. With her usual astute ability to put the pieces of a puzzle together, she's perfect for this new job.

In fact, by the end of the book, you'll probably wish she wasn't that good. The inexorable forward motion of the plot made me wish that it wasn't going to end the way it did. I could see it coming, but I couldn't put the book down.

In a near "Law and Order" twist, the ending was perfect -- and wrenching fo
Jessica
Dec 09, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
more like 3.5. this touched on a couple of different interesting idea's, but was more cumbersome to get through then the previous 2 books in this series. did not move through the action as seamlessly as it could have and the surprises were not forshadowed as near as well as I think they could have been. several times I questioned where that came from or how we got to where we are. entertaining., but lacking.
Jmrathbone
Jul 01, 2014 Jmrathbone rated it it was ok
What do editors do? Don't they highlight improbable ideas within a novel? Didn't the editor of this book notice that the author wrote "After she gets her GED, she'll go to Stanford." Really? Also,someone in this novel was in the branches of a mesquite tree, but those trees are full of big thorns so how was someone in the branches? There are also ghosts. The big climax of the novel was kind of a let down.
Lori Wolf
Mar 28, 2012 Lori Wolf rated it it was amazing
I just finished this one & wow is about all I can say. I got these books as a free set on Amazon, not knowing what to expect. I liked the first two in the series, but LOVED the third! I was back to reading at red lights. Spoiler Alert!!!! I am once again thankful that the "bad guys" were caught, however the ending was a total shock! I can't wait to see a 4th book!
Jean
Feb 10, 2012 Jean rated it liked it
Another book in the Laura Cardinal series. This time Detective Cardinal is caught up in solving a cold case. Three preteen girls mysteriously disappear and she and her partner are desperate to solve the mystery. I didn't like the ending on this one as well as the other books I have read by Black, so I only gave it a three-star rating.
Lillie
Aug 26, 2012 Lillie rated it liked it
I didn't like this book as well as the first two in the series because I was a little disappointed in the end. Laura is dealing with three cold cases of young girls missing for many years. Two of the cases were solved satisfactorily, but the solution for the third case was rather weird to my way of thinking.
Dave
Oct 22, 2014 Dave rated it liked it
Phyllis
May 29, 2014 Phyllis rated it really liked it
I started reading this author at the suggestion of a dear friend. This was the third book in the Laura Cardinal series, the first two of which I rated only 2 stars because of lack of character development and a confusing story line. However, this book was markedly better! I felt there was good character development, no confusion about what was happening, and an intriguing mystery. Bravo!
Karin Corneau
Nov 21, 2014 Karin Corneau rated it it was amazing
Great story from start to finish. Believable characters and a few twists and turns that left me glued to the book. Didn't realize this was book 3 in a series, but it easily read as a stand alone and I wasn't lost or confused for not having read the first two. If u want a good mystery, this is a great one :)
Patty
Dec 17, 2014 Patty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Really great read. I couldn't put the book down, felt the story flowed really well. Yes, it did give me the creeps a few times...but that is the fun part of reading . . . letting your imagination run wild. Looks like I'll be starting on this series. Can't wait.
Dorothy
Jul 03, 2014 Dorothy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspence
This is the first book I’ve read by J Carson Black, very good. This is the story of children that went missing and one girl reappears. I was surprised by the ending but that made it more real. I highly recommend this book to everyone. Nothing squeamish, good read.
Lynn Demsky
Jul 11, 2012 Lynn Demsky rated it it was ok
Only good thing was the ending, could skip half the writing and not miss anything of the story! Author keeps repeating all of Laura’s problems with her parent’s dying, her ex boyfriends etc. I’ve read enough of these now!
Jul 22, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
OMG, this is the first J Carson Black book I have read and I am hooked! Loved it, do not plan on doing anything once you start.... you will not be able to put it down. I have since read the entire Laura Carlson series... excellent!
Dawn
Jun 12, 2016 Dawn rated it it was ok
I read the whole series in an omnibus collection while recovering from surgery and bored. Kept hoping things would get better but no. The main character who is touted as a crack detective consistently misreads clues/suspects. The concept is interesting delivery not so much.
Katie ze Kiten
Sep 05, 2014 Katie ze Kiten rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, mystery
Shitty editing. Shitty typical crime, pro-police, ignore your lawyer's advice kind of crap. Typical shitty stuff about little girls being abused and killed. I only read because it was free and I was tired, reading on a plane so I thought the mystery would hold my interest. Meh
Ilsa
Jul 01, 2016 Ilsa added it
Gave in...only $0.99 though! Eg, just ok. The promise of change in the previous book was completely ignored in this book.
Jack
Oct 08, 2015 Jack rated it really liked it
Something leads Steve Lawson to discover the remains of a missing girl, but what ? Laura is trying to find the killer of her and other missing children.
Cindi
Jul 16, 2012 Cindi rated it really liked it
If books were food, this would be candy. I read it and others like it on the stationary bike. You won't be smarter for reading it but it is enjoyable.
Ellen
Jun 24, 2012 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Discovered this author thru Kindle free books,,,have read 3 of them and was never disappointed,,hope to read more soon,.
Carl
Mar 05, 2012 Carl rated it it was ok
This book never really grabbed me, but I'm not fully sure why. The story had a decent plot and was well written, characters were well defined, but something just didn't click for me.
Tracy Pelkey
Oct 12, 2012 Tracy Pelkey rated it really liked it
Very well written. Took me a few chapters to get into it, but it definitely hooked me! It twists at the end! Entertaining read!
Sue
Sep 15, 2011 Sue rated it it was amazing
Once again, twists and turns. Not until the end do you really know what is happening. I hope all her books are as good as the Laura Cardinal series.
JoyAnna
Aug 04, 2014 JoyAnna added it
Shelves: true-crime
Not very plausible and frankly the ending I didn't think was very good. At least I didn't like the ending.......I did read through though
Donna Halloran
May 20, 2012 Donna Halloran rated it it was ok
Not great. I enjoyed the story - it was a very quick read. The main character is the basis for a series of books, but I must admit I am not inclined to try them after this one.
Bill Wright
Bill Wright rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2015
  • Night Corridor
  • Shake Down (Jack Davis Mystery, #1)
  • Someone's Watching
  • Sleep Tight
  • Adrenaline Rush: 7 High-Octane Thrillers
  • And Justice for Her: Boxed Set of Mystery, Suspense, and Romance Thrillers
  • The Abigail Affair
  • Trial Junkies
  • Sole Intention
  • The Innocent (Jack Marconi #1)
  • Little Girl Gone (Logan Harper, #1)
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • Gray Area
  • The Long Drunk
  • Thrilled to Death (Detective Jackson Mystery, #3)
  • Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • Murphy's Law (Bounty Hunter, #1)

Laura Cardinal (5 books)
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town (Laura Cardinal #1)
  • Dark Side of the Moon (Laura Cardinal #2)
  • Cry Wolf (Laura Cardinal #4)
  • Flight 12: A Laura Cardinal Thriller (Flight 12 Begins Series)