Start by marking “Marvin Redpost: Is He a Girl? (Marvin Redpost, #3)” as Want to Read:
Marvin Redpost: Is He a Girl? (Marvin Redpost, #3)

Marvin Redpost: Is He a Girl? (Marvin Redpost #3)

This chapter book in Newbery Honor–winning and bestselling author Louis Sachar’s Marvin Redpost series offers a sidesplitting take on the differences between girls and boys!

When Casey Happleton tells Marvin that if you kiss your elbow you’ll turn into a girl, Marvin doesn’t believe it. Then Marvin kisses his elbow by accident and starts to feel very strange. He wants p
Published August 24th 1993 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Marvin Redpost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvin Redpost

Philip
I know it seems like we're reading these books to keep up with the times... what with just finishing There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom. I'm not trying to make any political statement with these books. We HAD been reading Paper Wishes, but the girls seemed to tire of it. And Gwen came home on her last week of library saying that all books had to be in by May 16th, so we had to read this RIGHT! NOW! Because LOOK!: Louis Sachar! Her library has LOUIS SACHAR!

And I'd never even heard of this Marvi
Sean
Jan 30, 2011 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the right discussion, this book could be a good way to bring trans issues up with kids. Unfortunately, without that it's easy for a reader of the book to slip into a terrible vortex of reinforced gender stereotypes.

It's hard for me to tell if the author intended for this story to chip away at cis-centered ideas or if they just wanted to play off of the standard "ewww boys/girls" mentality. Given a few very positive scenes, I'm willing to extend the benefit of the doubt.
Yu Ting Zhu
Jun 08, 2013 Yu Ting Zhu rated it liked it
Yumi Learner
Mar 29, 2015 Yumi Learner rated it it was amazing
My 9th Book in English This Year

A couple of days ago I finished my 9th book, Marvin Redpost #3 Is He a Girl? in English. The book is good for me to know useful terms in English. The protagonist is a third grade student and every time I read this series, the contents remind me of my childhood.

In this book, he grew up a little bit. I still remember when I was a third grade. All my male classmates seemed to be so childish. I think girls grow up a little bit faster than boys. My grow speed was slo
Esmeralda
Jan 30, 2011 Esmeralda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: moppets
This book is awesome or dreadful depending on how one would frame a discussion about it. This is intended for a third grade audience. The third grade protagonist Marvin, through funny physical stunts and dialogue, thinks he is a girl. Given this new identity, he interacts and thinks differently throughout a day. Marvin is interesting in the fluid identity. For example, he is open to relate more with his little sister in a midnight giggle fest. Better yet, he grows some perspective and reaches ou ...more
ABC
May 05, 2013 ABC rated it really liked it
A girl at school tells Marvin if he kisses his elbow, he will turn into a girl. Well, Marvin accidentally kisses it....and is he changing? My son loved this book.

I am also reading it in Japanese and finding the illustrations in the Japanese edition pretty hilarious. (Marvin peering down into his pants to check and see if he is still a boy.)
Bibliotekar
Jan 12, 2017 Bibliotekar rated it liked it
Marvin learns that if you kiss your elbow you will turn into a girl! So when he manages to kiss his elbow at home he starts to fear the transition to being a girl - even as he gains valuable insights into what life is like for girls. Luckily he is able to kiss his elbow a second time and stop the "transition" - but not before making a new friend in Patsy Gatsby.
Dolly
Sep 09, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the third book in the Marvin Redpost series. It is an entertaining story about a young boy who is convinced that he is turning into a girl.

The story is a bit silly, but it shows how much schoolyard rumors and stories can affect children. The protagonist of the tale, Marvin Redpost, has a vivid imagination and obsesses over the idea that kissing his elbow could turn him into a girl.

We enjoyed reading this story together and will see if we can borrow more of the books in this series from
Hannah Givens
May 07, 2016 Hannah Givens rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, lgbt
Short and simple. This is one without much editorializing, so it could still be good for some kids even though it's twenty years old -- why are some things "girl things" and others "boy things"? Why does the simple suggestion that Marvin might turn into a girl make him start doubting his whole thought process? On the other hand, the book could just as easily be used to claim boys and girls are essentially different but that boys should be nice to girls or something, I don't know.
Ann Moody
Oct 04, 2014 Ann Moody rated it it was amazing
Sachar's foray into formula fiction is rather different than his masterpiece "Holes," and his wacky "Wayside School." But it's still a step above the other stuff that was being churned out in the early 1990's. Goes down quick and easy, and like all his work, stands the test of time.

The best testimony comes from the resident 8-year old who has taken the initiative to work through the books independently, blasting through each in an hour or so, and going right back for a re-read.
Eagle
Oct 26, 2011 Eagle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like he is a girl because it's about a boy that looks in a mirror and he is the only one that sees him self as a girl and i hope that you will come to the lrc today and check out this book that i love to read every night and day either at home or school or even where ever i am i will read this book if it is with me. by Madison.
Amber the Human
Mar 08, 2015 Amber the Human rated it it was ok
Spoiler alert: you can't kiss your elbows. I dunno, maybe flexible kids can, but it's really not a possible thing. Sachar has some great books, but this Redpost series ... I just can't get into it. The kid is just so unsure of himself. I mean, I know most kids are unsure of themselves, and I'm sure I was, but something about this kid, he's just not that fun to read about.
Val Nwosu
Jan 19, 2013 Val Nwosu rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book when I was a kid! This book was extremely funny to me. I still remember reading this whole book in a day and I was so proud! I swear to God, I tried to kiss my elbow after this! I think that this book REALLY explored the idea of a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is a great childres book for beginning readers.
Cara Stone
Jul 23, 2015 Cara Stone rated it did not like it
Shelves: late-elementary
Reading this with any kind of social justice lens completely eliminates any attempts as humor within the writing, but I probably could have told you that after just reading the short blurb on the back cover. I was unimpressed--yes, this was written in the 90s, but there are so many identities trivialized and gender stereotypes reinforced with "boy things" and "girl things."
Carol
Dec 24, 2007 Carol rated it really liked it
If you kiss your elbow, you will turn into a girl! It is a silly science fiction written in easy English, posing questions about both the physical and the psychological differences between boys and girls. I guess girls will be more interested in the Marvin Redpost series.
Susan Kienlen
Aug 10, 2008 Susan Kienlen rated it it was ok
I wonder how 1st, 2nd or 3rd graders would like this book. I think it is different when an adult reads it. It was ok. It brings up issues kids have at school and I would want the students to talk about that.
Danny
Apr 04, 2011 Danny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-before-2004
I remember this book. As I've said before, I'm not sure if grammar-school-age children read books like this anymore. Kids are practically starting to have sex in as early as 6th grade -- I'm appalled!!
Henry
Aug 28, 2007 Henry rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who think they're gonna turn into a girl by kissing their elbow
It's really cool and I liked it a lot because I'm always trying to kiss my elbow only I stopped doing that because I got a scab on my elbow.
Reed S
Jan 31, 2013 Reed S rated it really liked it
I recently finished reading Is He A Girl by:Louis Sachar. I think the theme of this book is just because you think you know people you may not.
Gaylene
Jan 08, 2011 Gaylene rated it liked it
as an adult, the book was just okay. but I think kids would really enjoy it, and possibly help them have empathy for others.
Daisy Ho
Jun 08, 2011 Daisy Ho rated it really liked it
This book is about the protagonist believes that when he kisses his elbow, he would turn to a girl. So that he keeps trying to kiss his elbow.
Caren
Mar 20, 2012 Caren rated it liked it
Marvin is told by a girl, if he kisses his elbow he will turn into a girl.
He can't get it out of his mind and feels like he is turning into one.
Hilarious. Good for 2-3 grades.
Caitlin
Jul 10, 2014 Caitlin rated it liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
Surprisingly cute, and a few interesting reflections on gender dynamics. Not bad, for the age it's meant for.
Wendy Hall
Aug 07, 2011 Wendy Hall rated it it was amazing
marvin sits next to a girl named cassidy and she says if you kiss your elbow you will turn into a girl. will marvin try it or not?
steven jacobson
Dec 14, 2015 steven jacobson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome and funny I finished it in a few minutes

It was a pretty book to read in a few minutes I love it a bunch more than I expected...
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
Louis Sachar is a great writer for mid-grammar school age kids--The Marvin Redpost series is a great example of his talent at accessible writing and reading for this age group
Hankhorwitz
Dec 10, 2007 Hankhorwitz rated it liked it
This probably wasn't the best book i've read but it was interesting, because i've always wondered what it would be like if a boy was a girl, but I never thought it would be quite like this
Micki James
Yes it's a kid's book, I like to read them between adult books as palate cleansers. This one's kinda fun.
Orlando
Mar 31, 2009 Orlando rated it liked it
marvins friend casey told him that if he kisses his elbow he will be turned int o a girl. and by mistake he kissed.all of a sudden marvin started feelign very strange.
Kel
Kel rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2008
  • A Woodland Wedding (Owl Diaries #3)
  • Karen's Roller Skates (Babysitters Little Sister, #2)
  • The Lunch Witch
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Dress Code (Big Chapter Books)
  • Hound on the Heath (Animal Ark Hauntings, #6)
  • My Three Best Friends and Me, Zulay
  • The Twinkie Squad
  • The Lucky Lottery (A to Z Mysteries, #12)
  • The Greedy Gremlin (Pixie Tricks, #2)
  • Who Put That Hair in My Toothbrush?
  • Who Was Harriet Tubman?
  • What Do You Do, Dear?
  • Apple Island, Or The Truth About Teachers
  • Arthur's Chicken Pox: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Amelia's 5th-Grade Notebook (Amelia's Notebooks, #14)
  • Food Chain Frenzy (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #17)
  • Bink and Gollie: Best Friends Forever (Bink & Gollie, #3)
  • I Really Like Slop! (Elephant & Piggie, #24)
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

More about Louis Sachar...

Marvin Redpost (8 books)
  • Marvin Redpost: Kidnapped at Birth? (Marvin Redpost, #1)
  • Marvin Redpost: Why Pick on Me?
  • Alone in His Teacher's House
  • Class President
  • Flying Birthday Cake?
  • Super Fast, Out of Control!
  • A Magic Crystal? (Marvin Redpost)