Is He A Girl?

Is He A Girl? (Marvin Redpost #3)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Will kissing his elbow really turn Marvin into a girl? Casey Happleton claims it's so, and Marvin starts to believe her after his lips "accidentally" brush his elbow.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 8/24/1993 Pages: 80 Reading Level: Age 6 and Up
Paperback, (Marvin Redpost 3, paper), 80 pages
Published August 24th 1993 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Is He A Girl?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is He A Girl?

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonGirl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Books with 'Girl' in the title
250th out of 483 books — 62 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyFrindle by Andrew ClementsThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav PilkeyGuys Write for Guys Read by Jon ScieszkaWorld Cup Mouse by Richard Seidman
Reluctant readers, boys ages 7-10
11th out of 29 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Yu Ting Zhu
Sean
With the right discussion, this book could be a good way to bring trans issues up with kids. Unfortunately, without that it's easy for a reader of the book to slip into a terrible vortex of reinforced gender stereotypes.

It's hard for me to tell if the author intended for this story to chip away at cis-centered ideas or if they just wanted to play off of the standard "ewww boys/girls" mentality. Given a few very positive scenes, I'm willing to extend the benefit of the doubt.
Caitlin
Dear self,

How did we grow up not crazy?

Affectionately,

Adult Self.

Ps: don't kiss your elbow.
Esmeralda
This book is awesome or dreadful depending on how one would frame a discussion about it. This is intended for a third grade audience. The third grade protagonist Marvin, through funny physical stunts and dialogue, thinks he is a girl. Given this new identity, he interacts and thinks differently throughout a day. Marvin is interesting in the fluid identity. For example, he is open to relate more with his little sister in a midnight giggle fest. Better yet, he grows some perspective and reaches ou...more
Kirei
A girl at school tells Marvin if he kisses his elbow, he will turn into a girl. Well, Marvin accidentally kisses it....and is he changing? My son loved this book.

I am also reading it in Japanese and finding the illustrations in the Japanese edition pretty hilarious. (Marvin peering down into his pants to check and see if he is still a boy.)
Ivy Krill
I remember this book. As I've said before, I'm not sure if grammar-school-age children read books like this anymore. Kids are practically starting to have sex in as early as 6th grade -- I'm appalled!!
Caitlin
Surprisingly cute, and a few interesting reflections on gender dynamics. Not bad, for the age it's meant for.
Dolly
Sep 09, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the third book in the Marvin Redpost series. It is an entertaining story about a young boy who is convinced that he is turning into a girl.

The story is a bit silly, but it shows how much schoolyard rumors and stories can affect children. The protagonist of the tale, Marvin Redpost, has a vivid imagination and obsesses over the idea that kissing his elbow could turn him into a girl.

We enjoyed reading this story together and will see if we can borrow more of the books in this series from...more
Yasuko Takatsuki
2011.7.1 6119words
Blake
Too hilarious.
Eagle
I like he is a girl because it's about a boy that looks in a mirror and he is the only one that sees him self as a girl and i hope that you will come to the lrc today and check out this book that i love to read every night and day either at home or school or even where ever i am i will read this book if it is with me. by Madison.
Val Nwosu
I remember reading this book when I was a kid! This book was extremely funny to me. I still remember reading this whole book in a day and I was so proud! I swear to God, I tried to kiss my elbow after this! I think that this book REALLY explored the idea of a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is a great childres book for beginning readers.
Carol
If you kiss your elbow, you will turn into a girl! It is a silly science fiction written in easy English, posing questions about both the physical and the psychological differences between boys and girls. I guess girls will be more interested in the Marvin Redpost series.
Susan Kienlen
I wonder how 1st, 2nd or 3rd graders would like this book. I think it is different when an adult reads it. It was ok. It brings up issues kids have at school and I would want the students to talk about that.
Hankhorwitz
This probably wasn't the best book i've read but it was interesting, because i've always wondered what it would be like if a boy was a girl, but I never thought it would be quite like this
Caren
Marvin is told by a girl, if he kisses his elbow he will turn into a girl.
He can't get it out of his mind and feels like he is turning into one.
Hilarious. Good for 2-3 grades.
Catherine Woodman
Louis Sachar is a great writer for mid-grammar school age kids--The Marvin Redpost series is a great example of his talent at accessible writing and reading for this age group
Orlando
marvins friend casey told him that if he kisses his elbow he will be turned int o a girl. and by mistake he kissed.all of a sudden marvin started feelign very strange.
Daisy Ho
This book is about the protagonist believes that when he kisses his elbow, he would turn to a girl. So that he keeps trying to kiss his elbow.
Reed S
I recently finished reading Is He A Girl by:Louis Sachar. I think the theme of this book is just because you think you know people you may not.
Henry
Aug 28, 2007 Henry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who think they're gonna turn into a girl by kissing their elbow
It's really cool and I liked it a lot because I'm always trying to kiss my elbow only I stopped doing that because I got a scab on my elbow.
Wendy Hall
marvin sits next to a girl named cassidy and she says if you kiss your elbow you will turn into a girl. will marvin try it or not?
Gaylene
as an adult, the book was just okay. but I think kids would really enjoy it, and possibly help them have empathy for others.
Micki James
Yes it's a kid's book, I like to read them between adult books as palate cleansers. This one's kinda fun.
Rachel
Jun 28, 2007 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young children
Shelves: childhood
I found this book very interesting when I was in 3rd grade. I would recommend it to young children.
Ethan
I like that Marvin Redpost thought he was a girl! How funny!
Jeffrey
not nearly as enjoyable as some of the other stories in this series.
Vicki
This book was bizarrely fascinating in a gender studies sort of way.
Julisa Guzman
i like this book beacuse some people from the school
Mrs. McWhirter's Class
i liked the book it was thrilling!
read this book.
  • Karen's Roller Skates (Babysitters Little Sister, #2)
  • The Girl with 500 Middle Names
  • The Lucky Lottery (A to Z Mysteries, #12)
  • There's a Girl in My Hammerlock
  • The Guide Dog Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #53)
  • Cupid Doesn't Flip Hamburgers (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #12)
  • Amber Brown Wants Extra Credit
  • Horrid Henry (L.A.F. Books)
  • Attaboy, Sam!  (Sam Krupnik, #2)
  • Yang the Youngest and his Terrible Ear
  • Horrible Harry and the Holidaze
  • The Littles And The Lost Children
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Slippery Salamander (Encyclopedia Brown, #22)
  • Foal in the Fog (Animal Ark Hauntings #5)
  • Losing Joe's Place
  • Two Times the Fun
  • Henry and Mudge and the Snowman Plan (Henry and Mudge, #19)
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

More about Louis Sachar...
Holes (Holes, #1) Sideways Stories From Wayside School (Wayside School #1) Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2) Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3) Small Steps (Holes, #2)