Start by marking “Miko Kings: An Indian Baseball Story” as Want to Read:
Miko Kings: An Indian Baseball Story

Miko Kings: An Indian Baseball Story

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Miko Kings is set in Indian Territory's queen city, Ada, Oklahoma, during the baseball fever of 1907, but moves back and forth from 1969, during the Vietnam War, to present-day Ada. The story focuses on an Indian baseball team but brings a new understanding of the term "America's favorite pastime." For tribes in Indian Territory, baseball was an extension of a sport they'd ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Aunt Lute Books (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Miko Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miko Kings

Elissa Washuta
LeAnne Howe's MIKO KINGS truly represents a new direction in Native American fiction. She takes the manipulation of time to the next level, seamlessly moving through different temporal spaces and different characters' perspectives, and despite these quick shifts, I never got lost. In the Native American novels of past decades, many writers have worked with a distinctly Indian sense of time, one that isn't linear, one that folds in upon itself, and here, Howe has created an experience in which ti ...more
Naomi
If you like archives and family histories, this book is for you! It's an incredible story of the first American Indian Baseball League. I enjoyed the family history told and how the author weaves back and forth through history and incorporated original primary documents from the archives!
Kyle Aisteach
Wow.

Fair warning: Like much of what I'm currently reading, this book is not terribly accessible. Read it slowly. Read it patiently. It's worth it in the end. Howe's storytelling is, to say the least, non-linear. She doesn't bother to fill in all the gaps for you. But though the book feels like a collection of snippets, every word ends up being critically important (including what's in the illustrations).

This is contemporary speculative fiction doing what it should do: pushing boundaries, challen
Mary Charlotte
Confession time: When I was assigned this book as part of my college English course, I felt...less than enthused. A story about baseball, are you kidding me?

To my surprise, I loved it! This book is so much more than "An Indian Baseball Story"; in fact, at times baseball seems to fade to the background, replaced by a beautiful narrative of friendship, love, family secrets, and a heavy dose of the metaphysical.

Howe, a Chocktaw, presents the story brilliantly through a combination of diary entrie
Catherine
There's much to recommend about Miko Kings - the beautiful evocation of Ezol Day, a full-realized and complex Choctaw woman with a mind for the theory of relativity in 1904; the way in which Howe's words paint the intricacies of Indian Territory culture(s) in that same era; the interplay between Chicago, Ada, New Orleans, and countless places besides. The book is a study in shades of gray, of all the worlds between the lines of other books, a delving into historical silences. I love those parts ...more
Basheer Ismail
Very Interesting book even though I don't really like baseball.

Spoilers:

The story revolves around two main lines. First, an American Indian journalist who goes back to her hometown in Oklahoma after almost twenty years since she left. While she was rebuilding her grandmother's house, she encounters a wandering spirit of a young girl.The second main line is about this young girl who travels through time from the early 1900s to 1960s to 2005, and tells a story about an American Indian baseball te
Brigitte
Jan 19, 2008 Brigitte rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This fragmented narrative is a wonderful illustration of a nonlinear concept of time. Howe's work is not only innovative and thus refreshing, but it is also a fascinating opening into a culture that is still silenced. . . . The obviously thoroughly researched historical facts and their inclusion into the narrative never feel cumbersome in the hands of such a wordsmith. I highly recommend this novel.
Yair Bezalel
A very intriguing story made more so by interesting shifts in narrative and some well placed post modern additions. Some predictable events and a bit of uninspired dialogue here and there don't mar the overall story that much. Decent read with spots of profundity.
Margo Solod
Oct 10, 2007 Margo Solod rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: almost everybody
Shelves: justread
what a lovely wild ride. definately howe's best book to date. she manages to mix indians, baseball, time travel, mathmatics and oral history together and come out with an eminently readable novel.
Christopher Mcilroy
Full of the pleasures of story, anecdote, and baseball, but also an imaginative, engaging meditation on the confluence of classical and Native views of physics and time.
Ron Wallace
Fascinating reading, well done and informative. I'm a baseball nut, a Native American and an Okie; and I learned a lot of things I never knew. Great work.
Chandler
Imaginative read. Who knew that baseball, ghosts, and Native Americans could meld together for such an interesting read?
Sarbej2
This book is phenomenal. I was fortunate enough to meet LeAnne Howe, and she is as lovely and brilliant as this novel.
Grace
Oct 25, 2008 Grace added it
I LIKE stories with Indians in them,but this was so tedious that I had to stop reading it.
Mimi
Mar 18, 2008 Mimi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult, 2008
I think I actually liked this book better than Shell Shaker, what with the time travel and all.
Abby
Apr 20, 2011 Abby added it
It's a strange, strange story. I feel like I should go back to the beginning again.
jeanette
This book is the coolest book ever. Very interesting and wonderful!
Barb
Apr 04, 2013 Barb rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: indian
Read twice - Jan 2013 and March 2013 for Lit class
Briar Graovac
Briar Graovac marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Katie Musgrove
Katie Musgrove marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Rosemarie
Rosemarie marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Sandra Rahimi
Sandra Rahimi marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Lux
Lux marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Pauline Strong
Pauline Strong marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Woman Who Watches Over the World: A Native Memoir
  • Roofwalker
  • Perma Red
  • Books and Islands in Ojibwe Country
  • Reinventing the Enemy's Language: Contemporary Native Women's Writings of North America
  • Pushing the Bear
  • Yellow Back Radio Broke-Down
  • Destroy, She Said
  • Through the Arc of the Rain Forest
  • Medicine River
  • The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version  (The Last Unicorn)
LeAnne Howe is the author of three books, including Miko Kings: An Indian Baseball Story (Aunt Lute Books, 2007), and is a citizen of the Choctaw Nation. In 2006-2007 she was the John and Renee Grisham Writer-in-Residence at the University of Mississippi at Oxford. She was the screenwriter for Indian Country Diaries: Spiral of Fire, a 90-minute PBS documentary released in November 2006. Howes firs ...more
More about LeAnne Howe...
Shell Shaker Evidence of Red: Poems and Prose Choctalking on Other Realities Seeing Red—Hollywood's Pixeled Skins: American Indians and Film Équinoxes Rouges