Start by marking “The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle” as Want to Read:
The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle

The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle

Ten unique programs for fat loss, muscle gain, and strength improvement for beginners and elite lifters.
Want to get more out of your workout and spend less time in the gym? Many guys devote so many hours to lifting weight yet end up with so little to show for it. In many cases, the problem is simple: They aren't doing exercises based on the movements their bodies were de
Published December 29th 2005 by Avery Publishing Group (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The New Rules of Lifting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Rules of Lifting

Duffy Pratt
Nov 28, 2011 Duffy Pratt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: exercise
I first did weightlifting back when Nautilus routines were all the rage. The idea then was that one circuit of the machines, doing 8-12 reps on each machine, was all you needed. Also, the thinking then was that isolating the muscle you worked was most efficient. The only problem with these ideas is that they were probably all false.

This book makes a pretty good case against "doing the machines." In it's stead, it promotes six basic functional movements as the basis for an exercise program: squat
Sean
Jun 29, 2007 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nutrition-health
If you only buy one book on weightlifting - and you're just interested in fitness, not competition - this should be it.

New Rules contains programs for fat-loss, hypertrophy, and strength training, as well as explanations about how muscles grow, how the body uses fat, and how the skeleto-musclular system becomes stronger.

The book's basic organizing principle: your time weight training is best spent doing compound (multi-joint/muscle) exercises that mimic basic real-life motions. There are six s
Noetic_Hatter
An excellent overview for both exercise beginners and more advanced lifters alike. Schuler starts with the importance of resistance exercise in fat and health. He then explains his six core moves (squat, deadlift, lunge, push, pull, twist), and gives variations on exercises for each category (with descriptions and photos).

Then he provides a workout plan that builds on fat loss, muscle growth, and strength-building. The programs could take a full year if one wanted to follow them completely, wit
Rob Weaver
The good: This book is better than 90% of the workout books out there. The author rightfully points out the importance of getting off the machines and primarily using free weights. The book also introduced me to two of the most important exercises in the gym: The barbell squat and deadlift.

The bad: There are better books out there. I gained more in the gym in less time in 6 months with Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe than I did over a year with this book. New Rules presents too many plans for
Melody
Jan 24, 2011 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this well enough to chuck my current weightlifting routine and switch to the one laid out here. At least for a couple of months, depending on what sort of results I get.

The book is persuasive, clear, and sensible. The exercises are ones which help your body to do everyday tasks, rather than make pretty bumps in places regular folks don't have pretty bumps. These are routines designed to help one's everyday life work better, and as a bonus they are quick. I was in and out of my gym today
Andrea
Aug 01, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how new most of the information in this book is, but I found it very helpful in moving off the machines and starting a more functional, more time-efficient weight training program. The writing style is breezy and easy to read and the information very useful to a novice.

This book emphasizes compound movements that work the body the way that it usually functions in real life, such as squatting, deadlifting, lunging, pushing, pulling, and twisting. It contains programs for various lev
Jack
May 27, 2013 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full stars in this context- for what I am currently looking for in the gym, this is a perfect companion.

I've been hitting the gym consistently 4-5 times a week for the last three months. My training started with sessions half on the treadmill then half on the machines. I wasn't enjoying myself enough so I switched from the machines to free weights. Then I wanted to increase my gains and ditched the treadmill. From there I started watching vids and other folks in the gym to learn new exercises t
Enrique Mendez
Feb 09, 2017 Enrique Mendez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written, simple to follow

This book answered all my questions in a very clear and concise manner. I have been lifting for years, and i think i know quite a bit, so it is refreshing when a book comes along reminds you of ways that worked in the beginning. For example, i used to workout and do cardio in some combination every day and wondered why i had no gains. Now my gains have stayed again by doing two sets of watch exercise the times a week. Definitely a time saver and a way to stay song
Andrew
Feb 26, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how new these "rules" actually are. A lot of the information here has been around for quite some time. In fact, all the studies quoted by the author are from 30+ years ago. He also tends to under-explain things. In the section about aerobic exercise he states that strength and endurance should not be trained concurrently because the "interference effect" will force your body to choose endurance over strength. Nothing further is said on the matter, and I for one would be more incline ...more
Stephanie
Jul 31, 2008 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This book brings sensible, time-tested advice for getting started or out of a rut in your lifting. (If these guys don't know the right stuff, nobody does!) I cherry-picked some of the information that I found most useful, but if you want to you can use this book as a complete step-by-step guide to lifting effectively and efficiently. It includes information about training, diet, motivation, and lifestyle. Also, the writing style is very accessible and smooth. One failing: the text really exclude ...more
Demian
Oct 04, 2009 Demian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With my recent weight-loss I have been "re-booting" my approach to fitness overall. About half way through my weight-loss I started using the kettlebell. I'm considering a move back into traditional weight lifting.

Contrary to the title, the new rules are pretty much the old rules. I gathered that much thumbing through the book in the book store and that's why I got it. They're very focused on 2 things that I like.

1) Use large muscle groups and multi-joint movements
2) Training that doesn't focus
Lloyd
Sep 22, 2010 Lloyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Functional compound lifting movements with an emphasis on power are becoming increasingly popular in the weight rooms these days. Likewise, more and more books are coming out with this sort of topic in mind. This one is no exception but it is generally one of the more practically applicable. That said, there are some workout recommendations that really are just not practical at all unless you own your own fully-equipped gym. I'm specifically speaking about the final weight loss series of workout ...more
Doc
Sep 27, 2009 Doc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book focuses on using large muscle group exercise to build all muscles. For instance, if you're doing pulldowns, then you're working biceps and forearms and back and so on. While I'd say it works, it does not provide the same kind of sculpting and focus that many other programs do. For me, it caused me to thicken all over - my legs and buttocks grew, as did my waistline. When I stopped, I looked more rectangular than ever before.

So if you're interested in building overall strength, more so
John Gonzales
Feb 29, 2016 John Gonzales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Wide range of knowledge with experiments/tests cited to back up his opinions. Also, he enjoys the skeptical reader which is a major plus imo. Very sarcastic...made it all the more enjoyable...if you are new to lifting or admittedly express that you have limited knowledge in this area then you should get this book. There seems to be a few things you do in life that is life changing...allow you to crack a smile in this miserable world. This book may very well be a life changing event.
Daniel
When it comes to getting stronger, this one doesn't hold a candle to masterpieces like Starting Strength, but this is a good overview of a lot of important concepts and it's written in an engaging way.

It also serves a market of people who aren't necessarily after getting stronger (perhaps they just want to look strong or lose fat). I would argue that being actually strong helps with either of those goals, but that hardly negates the book itself.

An enjoyable read.
Ash Moran
NRoL applies very simple principles to generate an effective strength training programme. It is based on the idea that compound exercises that work your body in the way it evolved to be used are most beneficial - so squats and deadlifts, pullups and presses etc feature heavily. Definitely the best introductory book I've seen. (Although, I slightly prefer the workouts in Built for Show: A Guy's Guide to Looking Good Enough to Hook Up)
J.
Nov 18, 2009 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-new-york
This is the book that got me to enjoy going to the gym! It has helpful diagrams and (usually) clear explanations of tons of lifts, as well as a whole bunch of workout plans to follow, so it feels like you have a clear path and goals. The philosophy is one that makes sense, and the advice generally accords with methods I have heard and seen people get good results with. He's a decent writer and leavens the book with a little humor, too.

I've heard nothing but good things about the New Rules of Lif
Steve H
Apr 27, 2010 Steve H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 613, fitness
Easy to skim. A bit wordy and self-aggrandizing. Still, it has some good ideas for overall strengthening and fitness: don't focus on isolating muscles or groups. Instead do exercises that work the whole body and help with natural activities, like twisting, lifting, pushing, getting out of a chair when you're 90. Also, vary your workouts to exercise all of your body over time.

Didn't bother with trying the 52+ weeks of workouts.
Paul
Jun 03, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Picked up this book on the recommendation of a friend who has been following the program for the past year. I must say I have seen noticeable changes in his physique. Whether or not I can stay consistent with the program and see the same changes is up for debate but I am determined to try. I don't want to become the "fat dad" and gain 30 pounds while "sharing" pregnancy with my wife. This is the first step in that process!
Demeter77
Not impressed. Great look, nice pictures, layout and overall presentation, but useable content and programming is sub par. Stick with effective programming like Starting Strength, Tactical Barbell, and Wendler's 531. I could be wrong but I believe this book is from Men's Health, and that's exactly what it reads like, a long MH article.
Brian
Nov 12, 2007 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skills-how-to
I searched for a long time to find a book that could teach me something new about working out, and at the same time would offer me suggestions on programs to do while in the gym. This book nailed my expectations. I learned a lot while reading the book, and already started putting a program together based on suggestions in this book.
Christopher
Oct 09, 2011 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good strength training reference. Contains sufficient theory and background to back up the accompanying programs. Gives good descriptions of the movements. Programs offer some variety without sacrificing too much program efficiency. The program sections require some careful reading to determine optimal loading, but it's worth spending time on.
Bill
Apr 10, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in fitness.
Great writing with awesome lifting programs. This book explains why you would want to build your programs around the six basic moves: deadlift, squat, lunge, push, pull and twist. Then it gives you a variety of programs with a variety of workouts that will serve you exceptionally well. This book is targeted at beginning to intermediate lifters.
Joan
Jan 24, 2013 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
If you have to read a book about lifting, and if you are lifting you should read at least a book, is has to be this one.

Fun as hell, I've laughed my arse off a couple of times, great information, common sense, science.

Really enjoyed it.
Jenna
Apr 01, 2009 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. It sits in my kitchen, as a constant reminder.

Great combination of nutrition and fitness, rolled into a comedic outlook and writing style. I was laughing from the first page, and nodding along in agreement.
Zelda
Mar 18, 2012 Zelda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read and a very good follow-up to New Rules of Lifting for Women, you know, for women. It got a little too science-y and muscle specific for my interest level in such things but it gave more information on correct form than the girl version.
Andrea
Jan 27, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness
This book is fantastic. I've read and done the program from The New Rules of Lifting for Women but this book goes into a lot more detail about the why of each of the lifts.

This should be required reading for anyone that wants to sign a gym contract.
Rebecca
I liked this better than the New Rules of Lifting for Women, however, NRLW makes more sense after reading this. And I still really like his writing style.

I also tried the warmup exercises and could barely do those. *sigh*
Amy
Aug 23, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find Lou Schuler's writing style to be a little annoying. Way too many corny jokes. However, the content of this book is really fantastic and this book has given me everything I need to start lifting again. Tons of great information if you can ignore the cheesiness.
Melissa Fish
Apr 16, 2012 Melissa Fish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a women's version of this too, but I suspect they just tweaked it slightly. So far I'm enjoying the program. No nonsense weight-lifting advice that anyone can understand, and is backed by both science and common sense.
As your muscles flex turn and twist in every swinging Nutra Tosterone 1 2 Dec 23, 2014 11:10PM
Muscles pauperism many indication T-Rex Muscle 1 1 Oct 09, 2014 01:36AM
  • You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible Of Bodyweight Exercises For Men And Women
  • Science and Practice of Strength Training
  • Strength Training Anatomy
  • Supertraining
  • Maximum Strength: Get Your Strongest Body in 16 Weeks with the Ultimate Weight-Training Program
  • How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy!: Your Personalized 4-Step Guide to Looking and Feeling Great from the Inside Out
  • Men's Health: Book of Muscle - The World's Most Complete Guide to Building Your Body
  • Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength
  • Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder
  • The Body Fat Solution: Five Principles for Burning Fat, Building Lean Muscles, Ending Emotional Eating,  and Maintaining Your Perfect Weight
  • Men's Health Power Training: Build Bigger, Stronger Muscles with through Performance-based Conditioning
  • Inside the Box: The Culture, Science, and Sweat of the CrossFit Revolution
  • The G.I. Diet: The Easy, Healthy Way to Permanent Weight Loss
  • Scrawny to Brawny: The Complete Guide to Building Muscle the Natural Way

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »