Start by marking “The Truth About Managing People (Truth About)” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Managing People (Truth About)

The Truth About Managing People (Truth About)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Written by one of the world's bestselling management textbook authors, this book provides no-holds-barred advice and specific tactics and will serve as an everyday handbook to managing in the real world of human behaviour.
Published April 1st 2008 by Pearson Prentice Hall (first published February 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Managing People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Managing People

Downloaded on a lark because it was free, I actually found this book useful and interesting, even though I am not yet a manager. Suddenly I was justified in every complaint I've ever had about a boss, and now I know that the things I was asking for and not getting were not unique to me, but rather things every employee needs. It's given me confidence to speak up for the resources I'm lacking, and I'm able to frame it in a way that makes it less about me and more about best practices. I also foun ...more
This is a very insightful book, organized as tips in different categories. The titles I related most based on my experience as both an employee and a manager were:

1. The Truth about Hiring
Forget traits; its behavior that counts
When in doubt, hire conscientious people

2. The Truth about Motivation
Telling employees to do their best isn't likely to achieve their best.
Not everyone wants to participate in setting their goals
When giving feedback: criticize behaviour, not people
You get what you
Bryan Downey
This book is interesting because it provides ways to handle different situations in management. I see it as a guidebook that you could pull out an glance at when needed. Lastly I liked the format in which the information is presented, in truths.
Its not as bad as I thought! Does gives some good insight and ideas about how to manage and lead. Though not a fast read unless you can trek through stuff that doesn't grip you.
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro La verdad sobre la dirección de personas, de Stephen Robbins.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: recursos humanos, atraer, motivar y retener a los empleados.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro La verdad sobre la dirección de personas, Principios esenciales de la gestión de recursos humanos en las empresas: La verdad sobre la dirección de personas
Stephen P Robbins lays it all out in this latest version of his book The Truth About Managing People. He provides a blueprint for management, that if followed, can pull you out of many a bind. From tips on how to spot the right candidates at time of hire to advice on how to connect with those you already manage, his "truths" are sometimes common sense and sometimes a new way to approach an old problem. They all add up to a very comprehensive look at the challenges you face when managing people a ...more
Kelly  Schuknecht
I have supervised people in some capacity in my professional life for about 7 years now. Early on, when I was put into a role that involved supervising 2-3 people, I learned that managing people can be challenging. Over the years, as that number has grown, I have learned that "one size" does not fit all when it comes to working with a variety of different personalities and skill sets.

This book is a great resource for any manager, whether brand new or a veteran. Robbins discusses every aspect of
Simon Gianoutsos
Useful content, in an easily digestible format. I had come across many of the points raised in this book previously, but it was good to have references to back up some of the recommendations.
Básico y práctico en ideas, recomendable para gerentes y directores
Burçak Demirtaş
It has really useful and useable knowledges
Oustanding laah.....
Everybody benefits from learning some leadership skills.

Excellent book meant to be used as a quick reference to help you respond well to a wide variety of personal issues. Useful for more than just managing people, as it also can apply to coworkers, bosses, children, spouses and parents.
short references on single issues that do not really correlate with each other.
so they can be read separately and non-sequentially, depending upon which issue you are currently interested in or experiencing yourself.

some of them are new for me, but some are kind of obvious though.
Gerald Kinro
Robbins lists 59 truths about managing people. Each one is short, simply written and easy to read. While many may not be applicable 100 percent of the time, I find to be helpful and a good read.
Some good advice, some obvious, some won't apply to you. Don't read it at one sitting; read a truth a day and skip those not applicable to you. You'll find some useful nuggets.
Some good tips. A lot of it was common sense. Also, if you have experience with counseling, it will sound familiar.

Not bad for a freebie.
This was a very quick read and made a lot of sense. Though targeted toward managers, it was still useful as a lens to view myself through.
Jimming Cheng
not much insight here. Just read this because it happened to be free on my Kindle (and short)
John Finkelde
One of the best books you will ever read on leading people and organisations.
This one is an easy read for those just getting into management!
John Weibull
A simple but useful book of how to manage people. Easy to read.
Joe O'c
Very Good; 63 short tips on various management topics
Kiki Marriott
Sound management theory in tiny easily-digested bites.
Good starter book that needs more idea to action examples.
Kinda boring and trivial, but oh well.
Zikrullah marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Hattan Engawi
Hattan Engawi marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • Ultimate Leadership: Winning Execution Strategies for Your Situation
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • The Truth About Negotiations
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • Know What You Don't Know: How Great Leaders Prevent Problems Before They Happen
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • The Power of Communication: Skills to Build Trust, Inspire Loyalty, and Lead Effectively
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • UnSelling: Sell Less ... To Win More
  • The Rules of Work: The Unspoken Truth about Getting Ahead in Business
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • The Leader's Checklist: 15 Mission-Critical Principles

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »