Start by marking “Skammertegnet (Skammerens børn, #2)” as Want to Read:
Skammertegnet (Skammerens børn, #2)

Skammertegnet (The Shamer Chronicles #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,476 ratings  ·  68 reviews
One look into the Shamer’s eyes and a person’s darkest secrets are revealed

Dina has recently come into her uncomfortable powers as a Shamer, and now even her brother, Davin, no longer dares to meet her gaze.

Published November 20th 2008 by Forum (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Skammertegnet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skammertegnet

Kendra
Perhaps it's just me, but I find it rather disingenuous when the first book of a series is pretty much about a girl and a girl finding her strength and doing shit, and then the author is like, "You know what I forgot? A dude. A dude having manpain. That's what this book needs. More dudes. More manpain," as if Nico wasn't enough. This doesn't happen often in literature for a lot of reasons (shitty storytelling, conflict in marketing, who on earth wants the series to veer off like that in the seco ...more
Sina
This is the second book in the Shamer Chronicles series. I read it as a child, but was amazed over how little I remembered.

I love how much Lene Kaaberbøl not only told the story from Dinas point of viwe, but also from her brother Davids point of viwe. This gave me the information on how it was for David to be the son of Melussina, and brother of Dina. We also get to see how he handles it when his and his familiy's life gets turned up side down. I also like that we get to follow him in his trans
Allison
Don't Give Up On Dina Yet!!!

I absolutely loved book 1 in the series, ("The Shamer's Daughter"), so I eagerly awaited the release of the second. Unfortunately the book leaves much to be desired. The addition of a new character, Rose, adds a bit of needed comic relief, but all in all, I felt that this book dragged on quite a bit. When all is said and done, I feel that this is the weakest, and least memorable of the series, but it's still not a bad read. Give it a try!
Kine Torstensen
Blodeuedd Finland
ne look into the Shamer’s eyes and a person’s darkest secrets are revealed

Yet in these dangerous times there are far worse things in store for the young Shamer, who is kidnapped and forced to use her gift as a weapon against innocent people. Dina must get free. Can her brother help her escape?

From what I have seen many seems to agree with me that this book was rathe
Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
When I started on the first book of the quartet I had some trouble getting into the style - as a friend of mine said, Northern Europe writing is difficult to swallow, not a spoon for every mouth.

That's why, though I had bought the second book, it took me an year to have a go at it.

But once I started, I couldn't stop. I read through quickly and was even eager for more. The return appearance of known characters was great, as was the new and enthralling plot.

I'm still missing the romance factor,
Trish
It has been long enough for me to forget all the details of the first book, but there were gentle reminders in this, the second book of the series. I eventually remembered who everyone was by name and was drawn back into the world where the phrase, "Shame on you," actually had power. In the first book, we learn how hard it would be if no one in the town could look you in the eye if you were a Shamer's daughter.

In the second book, we see what it would be like to be the son of a Shamer with none o
Emi
To be honest, I really did enjoy the book. Dina was just as amazing and strong as she was in the first novel, and it was fun seeing her powers grow (even if she was against it). However, the story isn't just from her perspective--it's also told from the perspective of her older brother, Davin, and he was the reason why I had to bump the book down to three stars. To put it simply, I found him insanely annoying. For a sixteen-year-old, he was whiny, impulsive, and pigheaded in all of the wrong way ...more
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Μεσολάβησαν αρκετές υποχρεώσεις το τελευταίο διάστημα και η αλήθεια είναι πως μου στέρησαν τον όποιο πολύτιμο ελεύθερο χρόνο είχα στη διάθεσή μου κατά συνέπεια, στερήθηκα σημαντικό χρόνο από το διάβασμα. Όμως τώρα, είπα να επανέλθω δυναμικά και να καλύψω όσο μπορώ το κενό που άφησε ο περασμένος μήνας. Έτσι, συνέχισα με την σειρά βιβλίων της "Αισχύντρα" η οποία, με την ανάγνωση του πρώτου κατά σειρά βιβλίου, μου άφησε ιδιαίτερα καλές κι ελπιδοφόρες εντυπώσεις. Και πράγματι δεν απογοητεύτηκα, έστω ...more
Kirsten
This is the second book in the series out of four. It was translated from Danish by the author so the writing style is quite different than most of us are used to.

Summary:

Dina, a young girl of 11, has a gift. The shamer's gift allows her to look any human in the eyes and force them to remember all the things they are ashamed of. Also she can use the shamer's voice which compels people to obey her for a short while.

About mid-morning a call comes from a man who says his name is Ivain Lanclan. He
Cait Grace
There's something special about finding a book that's written for you. For me? It had to be -- seeing the Shamer Chronicles is written how I pen my books. I'm pretty sure the author wrote these books just for me. But I'll be gracious. You can read them too if you want.

From beginning to end, I was itching with delicious delight. Everything, from the first-person perspective, the mountain setting, the dialogue, even the vicious twists and turns of the plot, kept me hugging myself in delight. I lo
Aelvana
I confess I had already read the third book some months back (it was actually the first book of the series I'd read), so I already knew the general shape of this story. That didn't stop it from being an engrossing read, though. Dina and Davin alternate first person points of view, and for the most part it's easy to tell who's talking. Their characters are fleshed out more from the first book, and the action builds throughout. Recommended.
Amanda
The Shamer's family has settled in the Highlands, but things are not peaceful for long. They know that Drakan is pushing his rule into all the coastal city, in the most brutal ways possible.

When Dina and Messulina are almost kidnapped, the Highland clans are set at each other. Then Dina and a small boy fall into the hands of someone as bad in his own way as Drakan is in his. And Dina learns, to her sorrow, that she cannot protect herself, and in the wrong hands, she can be used as a weapon.

Charlie Bomberg
The Shamer's Signet; the exciting sequel to The Shamer's Daughter.

I love the Shamer Chronicles - and yes, I'm 21 and yes, the books are targeted tweens age 10 - 13. But I love the series.

The book takes off where The Shamer's Daughter left us, but Kaaberbøl introduces us to something new; the story is told both from Dina's point of view (like The Shamer's Daughter), but also from her big brother, Davin's, point of view. This gives the story a very interesting twist since Davin has his own problem
Christine
i had forgotten how enthralling these books are! so amazing to go into a bok with glimpses of scenes that you remember from the early days. I hope everyone with a reading heart finds their way to these books! !!
Brooklyn
Dina has a secret nobody knows but her. her secret is that she can look in peoples eyes and read their minds and see if they are telling the truth or if they are lying. then she stays home by her self and she gets kidnapped and he takes her to his house and never feeds her or gives her nothing to drink. Then one day her dad goes and looks for her at the police station and her calls her cell phone and it started to ring and the guy answered it and her dad was acting like one of the kidnappers fri ...more
Isabella Hansen
These books are not my favorite, but they are nice small reads.
But it irritates me that Nico is Totally out of this book, he was such a big part of book 1, but in this One, you barely hears about him.
Erin
Another exciting yet thoughtful entry in this excellent series, which I would like to see get more attention (I was pleased that the whole series just got a paperback reprint.)

This installment picks up shortly after the last one left off. Instead of being told entirely in Dina's voice, the narrative switches back and forth between her and her older brother Davin. For the plot of this particular one, I thought that technique worked well, and both voices are compelling and well-realized.

It's not
Perla333
Трябва да спра да "хвърлям погледи" към другите коментари за книгите. То се е видяло, че с останалия свят рядко имаме допирни точки :D
За мен книжката е едно много добро продължение на първата книга. В началото ми беше странно да чета и от името на Давин, но така се изясниха много работи. Добре е, че авторката се е сетила да освети историята и от друг ъгъл. За моя радост персонажа на Дина продължава да се развива. Продължавам с третата книга, че там става дори по-интересно и се появяват нови лица
Laura W
Chris
Not as gripping as the first book, but I plowed through it anyway. Two down, tow to go.
Narek Aloyan
I chose the book because of the summary i read about it. A shamer is a person who who can see a person's darkest secrets by looking into their eyes and Dina inherited this gift from her mother and is kidnapped by their lord and he is forcing her to use it against innocent people. Dina's brother eventually finds her and they escape along with a few others. I couldn't really find any good quotes i liked. The author's writing style had a lot of imagery i really liked. I would recommend this book to ...more
Marita
knallbra avslutning
Therese
Rated four stars instead of five because of the lack of Nico (although you could argue that who needs Nico when you have Rosa, who pretty owned this book?), and the overdose of David. I like Davin, I do. It's interesting seeing things from the perspective of a type of character who often get's sidelined in books like this. He's just not as interesting as every single other character in this book.

Still a great book and a good writing style, but probably the weakest in the series.
Clara
It was like reading the book for the first time. How could I ever have forgotten such a great sequel? I suspect I appreciate this one way more now than I did when I was 11. Back then, I almost couldn't finish it. Now, at 20, I loved every single chapter! Davin's character development was so nicely done and the world building was much more complex than I remembered. I almost want to just pick up the book right now and start over again <3
Neill Smith
Dina has inherited the Shamer's gift from her mother - by compelling someone to look into her eyes she can determine and inflict shame on those who feel guilt. When Valdacru captures her to use her gift as a weapon, her brother, Davin, must rescue her. Told alternately from Dina's and Davin's point of view, this medieval-like story tells the difficulties Dina has both with the development and the use of her powers.
Amy
Even though I don't really like this series I need to know what happens so of course I had to read on. Dina and her family are now living in the highlands and are safe...or are they? Dina gets involved in the horrible king's plot to destroy the world. Instead of disgusting dragons this book has lots of child abuse and slave labor. Not a fun tale in the slightest but it works for those who prefer darker fantasy stories.
Emily
After their escape from Dunark, Dina and her family settle in the Highlands. But there are still people after them. In this adventure, Dina is kidnapped and forced to use her Shamer abilities to make people work for her kidnapper. The villains in these books are really evil and use all kinds of methods to get what they want. It makes them kind of hard to read.
May
Cilla Glud
Real good. Why not read it people? Read the Shamer's daughter first though. If you don't undersatnd the title, it's because it is a Danish title, and a Danish book, and is translated to english. The Shamer's daughter is the first in the series. It is really good. So find it on some shelf, grab it from that shelf, and read it!
  • Dæmonernes Hvisken (Historien om Mira, #1)
  • Erik Menneskesøn
  • Den Forkerte Død (Den Store Djævlekrig, 3)
  • Shamran - den som kommer
  • Vølvens Datter (Jarastavens Vandring #1)
  • Balladen om den forsvundne mumie (Freddy-serien, #1)
Jeg kom til verden på Rigshospitalet i København d. 24.3.1960. Overlægen var i kjole og hvidt - han var blevet afbrudt midt i en gallamiddag - men min søster siger, at det er da ikke noget, hendes fødselslæge var i islandsk nationaldragt. Nogen vil mene at det således allerede fra starten var klart at jeg var et ganske særligt barn. Andre vil sikkert påstå at min mor bare var god til at skabe plud ...more
More about Lene Kaaberbøl...

The Shamer Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles, #1)
  • The Serpent Gift (The Shamer Chronicles, #3)
  • The Shamer's War (The Shamer Chronicles, #4)
The Boy in the Suitcase (Nina Borg, #1) The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles, #1) The Serpent Gift (The Shamer Chronicles, #3) The Shamer's War (The Shamer Chronicles, #4) Invisible Murder (Nina Borg, #2)