Start by marking “Heaven's Needle: A Novel of Ithelas” as Want to Read:
Heaven's Needle: A Novel of Ithelas

Heaven's Needle: A Novel of Ithelas (Ithelas #2)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The second book in an epic fantasy series, in which the fate of a world rests in the hands of a woman who must rescue the knight she loves...
Published April 26th 2011 by Gallery (first published March 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven's Needle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven's Needle

Seak (Bryce L.)
Sequels can be quite the mixed bag. Some show the author is here to stay, while others prove them to be more a one hit wonder. Sometimes sequels, however, are even better than the original; Deadhouse Gates, The Elfstones of Shannara, X-Men 2, etc. I'm also happy to report that Heaven's Needle falls into this latter category as well.

Heaven's Needle is the second novel of Ithelas, following the extremely well-done debut, The River Kings' Road. As you'll notice from the blurbage above, there's a di
Mihir

I was first introduced to Liane Merciel's writing with last year's debut River King's Road, however I read it this year and the sequel Heaven's Needle. I also happened across this fantastic review of it which raised a lot of expectations for me.

Heaven's Needle shares the same world as its predecessor and has only 2 characters from the previous book. What it does expand on is the world mythology, magic system and the political machinations. The story begins on various fronts; the primary one b
Angela R.
I won this book through Goodreads' giveaways, and like the true cheapskate I am, I must admit that I'm always kindly inclined towards anything that I got for free. But that doesn't mean I'm going soft with this review. I was not so kind to the last ARC I won (though I did feel a twinge of guilt for that). I really wanted to give this book 4.5 stars. I'm pretty critical, and to me a book must be utterly amazing in order to earn 5 stars. So maybe it was the good feelings from winning that caused m ...more
Ronald
A bit disappointing considering that I loved the previous novel in the series. I wasn't entirely sold on the idea of turning the second novel in the series to a dark fantasy setting but I think the intention of the author was to showcase the world of Ithelas and her characters in different ways and I can go with that. The novel missed the mark on good storytelling though and because of that the dark fantasy approach fell through. There were several instances the author chose to tell what was hap ...more
Jonathan
Heaven's Needle is the second book in Liane Merciel's "Ithelas" series, following her very good debut, The River Kings' Road. This book continues the adventures of the Burnt Knight and his star struck lover, Bitharn, as they approach a blighted land. A very confusing novel, full of annoying fantasy tropes, it was a huge disappointment, especially after the fine beginning of the series.

The book basically follows 2 groups of adventurers. Kelland, Bitharn, and a much distrusted Thorn, or evil mage,
Therese Arkenberg
3.5 Stars

I claimed R. Scott Bakker's White-Luck Warrior was horror in the guise of epic fantasy, but the White-Luck Warrior would take one look at one page of Heaven's Needle and run away crying.

Which is why, despite it being marketed as high fantasy, Heaven's Needle is my review of choice for Hallow's Eve this year.

That's a warning, by the way, that the following review will contain disturbing imagery and if you aren't up for that, especially if you're currently eating tasty food, feel free to
Candice Mckinney
Heaven's Needle by Liane Merciel is a great book. Very well written, the characters are well defined. I had not read the first Ithelas book The River King's Road but now plan to. The Sun Knight Kelland and the archer Bitharn are in love but unable to act upon their love because they are bound by duty first. They join forces with the Thornlord to defeat the Mad God. Kelland and Bitharn do not trust the Thornlord but are put into a position where they don't have a choice. The warrior Asharre was p ...more
Lindig
I made it to page 130 before I gave up. None of the characters seemed real, just facades of some "type." And there were lots of long speeches that supposedly were in conversation but were really disguised info dumps. Boring. Well, the Spider Queen wasn't too boring but she wasn't around much either. And the plot was really drawn out till it felt like no progress was being made at all. So I quit.
Elisabeth
Epic fantasy with believable, three-dimensional characters. Evil that isn't purely evil; good that crosses the line. Like people, almost.

The story here is a bit more convoluted than its predecessor, but every bit as compelling. The characters are wonderfully drawn. It does more or less wrap up, but I can't help wondering when (if?) there will be another installment.
Nicole
The story can together a little better in this second book, however her descriptions of violence and torture are a little too graphic for me (they either leave too much, or too little to the imagination, I can't quite decide). I will probably not pick up a third to read.
Foxglow
It was a compelling story, but much too bloody for me.
Nadia
Kind of disappointed, considering how much I liked the first one. This one meandered a bit, and it also looks like the writer isn't writing anymore books in the series so no resolution. :(
Shannon Baas
This was an interesting book. I haven't read the first book, but will. I found it interesting to try to keep up with the story and the characters.
Katrina Silva
Second book in the series. Reminiscent of the Martin series. Pretty good.
Jennifer Jozwiak
Great book, great characters, i can't wait for the next one!
Kathy
Intense, very dark fantasy
Evelyn
Evelyn is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Andre James
Andre James marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Sarah Staszkiel
Sarah Staszkiel marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Choko
Choko marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
  • Ashes of a Black Frost (Iron Elves, #3)
  • The Unremembered (The Vault of Heaven, #1)
  • Paper Souls
  • Lover's Betrayal (Misfits of the Lore, #1)
  • Harbinger of the Storm (Obsidian and Blood, #2)
  • The Conqueror's Shadow
  • Common Descent (Darwin's Children, #3)
  • Blogger Girl
  • Wildflower (Wildflower, #1)
  • The Tainted City (Shattered Sigil, #2)
  • Stone of Thieves (Robbin' Hearts Series #2)
  • The Buried Covenant
  • Through the Portal (Through the Portal, #1)
  • Borrowed Heart (Evie Sanders, #1)
  • Elsewhens (Glass Thorns, #2)
  • When Fully Fused (Schasm #3)
  • Crown of Vengeance
  • City of Ruin (Legends of the Red Sun, #2)
As a so-called “Army brat,” Liane grew up in Germany, South Korea, and several different parts of the United States. She now lives in Philadelphia, where she practices law. She is an alumnus of Yale University and the College of William & Mary Law School. She is of Korean and European heritage.
More about Liane Merciel...
The River Kings' Road (Ithelas, #1) Last Flight (Dragon Age, #5) Nightglass (Pathfinder Tales) Certainty (Pathfinder Tales) Nightblade (Pathfinder Tales)