Start by marking “Heaven's Needle: A Novel of Ithelas” as Want to Read:
Heaven's Needle: A Novel of Ithelas

Heaven's Needle: A Novel of Ithelas (Ithelas #2)

The second book in an epic fantasy series, in which the fate of a world rests in the hands of a woman who must rescue the knight she loves...
Published April 26th 2011 by Gallery (first published March 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven's Needle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven's Needle

seak
Oct 09, 2011 seak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, arc-review
Sequels can be quite the mixed bag. Some show the author is here to stay, while others prove them to be more a one hit wonder. Sometimes sequels, however, are even better than the original; Deadhouse Gates, The Elfstones of Shannara, X-Men 2, etc. I'm also happy to report that Heaven's Needle falls into this latter category as well.

Heaven's Needle is the second novel of Ithelas, following the extremely well-done debut, The River Kings' Road. As you'll notice from the blurbage above, there's a di
Mihir
Jun 15, 2011 Mihir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I was first introduced to Liane Merciel's writing with last year's debut River King's Road, however I read it this year and the sequel Heaven's Needle. I also happened across this fantastic review of it which raised a lot of expectations for me.

Heaven's Needle shares the same world as its predecessor and has only 2 characters from the previous book. What it does expand on is the world mythology, magic system and the political machinations. The story begins on various fronts; the primary one b
Angela R.
May 18, 2011 Angela R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through Goodreads' giveaways, and like the true cheapskate I am, I must admit that I'm always kindly inclined towards anything that I got for free. But that doesn't mean I'm going soft with this review. I was not so kind to the last ARC I won (though I did feel a twinge of guilt for that). I really wanted to give this book 4.5 stars. I'm pretty critical, and to me a book must be utterly amazing in order to earn 5 stars. So maybe it was the good feelings from winning that caused m ...more
Ronald
A bit disappointing considering that I loved the previous novel in the series. I wasn't entirely sold on the idea of turning the second novel in the series to a dark fantasy setting but I think the intention of the author was to showcase the world of Ithelas and her characters in different ways and I can go with that. The novel missed the mark on good storytelling though and because of that the dark fantasy approach fell through. There were several instances the author chose to tell what was hap ...more
Joy
Apr 21, 2015 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, scribd
Dark, sort of fantasy/horror. But good.
Therese Arkenberg
3.5 Stars

I claimed R. Scott Bakker's White-Luck Warrior was horror in the guise of epic fantasy, but the White-Luck Warrior would take one look at one page of Heaven's Needle and run away crying.

Which is why, despite it being marketed as high fantasy, Heaven's Needle is my review of choice for Hallow's Eve this year.

(That's a warning, by the way, that the following review will contain disturbing imagery--and possibly spoilers--and if you aren't up for that, especially if you're currently eating
Jonathan
May 08, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Heaven's Needle is the second book in Liane Merciel's "Ithelas" series, following her very good debut, The River Kings' Road. This book continues the adventures of the Burnt Knight and his star struck lover, Bitharn, as they approach a blighted land. A very confusing novel, full of annoying fantasy tropes, it was a huge disappointment, especially after the fine beginning of the series.

The book basically follows 2 groups of adventurers. Kelland, Bitharn, and a much distrusted Thorn, or evil mage,
Candice Mckinney
Heaven's Needle by Liane Merciel is a great book. Very well written, the characters are well defined. I had not read the first Ithelas book The River King's Road but now plan to. The Sun Knight Kelland and the archer Bitharn are in love but unable to act upon their love because they are bound by duty first. They join forces with the Thornlord to defeat the Mad God. Kelland and Bitharn do not trust the Thornlord but are put into a position where they don't have a choice. The warrior Asharre was p ...more
Lindig
Oct 17, 2012 Lindig rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, unfinished
I made it to page 130 before I gave up. None of the characters seemed real, just facades of some "type." And there were lots of long speeches that supposedly were in conversation but were really disguised info dumps. Boring. Well, the Spider Queen wasn't too boring but she wasn't around much either. And the plot was really drawn out till it felt like no progress was being made at all. So I quit.
Elisabeth
Mar 26, 2013 Elisabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Epic fantasy with believable, three-dimensional characters. Evil that isn't purely evil; good that crosses the line. Like people, almost.

The story here is a bit more convoluted than its predecessor, but every bit as compelling. The characters are wonderfully drawn. It does more or less wrap up, but I can't help wondering when (if?) there will be another installment.
Nicole
Aug 30, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2012-new
The story can together a little better in this second book, however her descriptions of violence and torture are a little too graphic for me (they either leave too much, or too little to the imagination, I can't quite decide). I will probably not pick up a third to read.
Jarl Anderson
Oct 19, 2015 Jarl Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I completely enjoyed the blend of fantasy & horror (almost splatterpunk) in this novel, and I like it much more than it's predecessor, which seemed liked a novel-long set-up for this work. I'm hoping a third book in this series arrives... someday? Soon? Ever?
Well I liked this one better than the first book.
The odd thing is I enjoy all the other characters except Bitharn and The Burnt Knight.
Nadia
Dec 31, 2012 Nadia rated it liked it
Kind of disappointed, considering how much I liked the first one. This one meandered a bit, and it also looks like the writer isn't writing anymore books in the series so no resolution. :(
Shannon Baas
Jan 09, 2012 Shannon Baas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book. I haven't read the first book, but will. I found it interesting to try to keep up with the story and the characters.
Dia Tucker
Dia Tucker rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2012
Benjamin rotter
Benjamin rotter rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Brett Ellis
Brett Ellis rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2014
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Vinit
Vinit rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2014
Kathlene
Kathlene rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2011
Bagheera Smart
Sep 25, 2011 Bagheera Smart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
CRAP
Jessi
Jessi rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2014
Evan Walker
Evan Walker rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2016
David
David rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2011
Rasheta
Rasheta rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Vivian
Vivian rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Paper Souls
  • Lover's Betrayal (Misfits of the Lore, #1)
  • Harbinger of the Storm (Obsidian and Blood, #2)
  • Vonnegut and Douglas Adams rewrite Brave New World and find The Future Perfect
  • Daughter of Lions
  • Veiled Innocence (The Soul Cycle, #1)
  • The Buried Covenant
  • Reawakening (The Passage of Hellsfire, Book 3)
  • Ashes of a Black Frost (Iron Elves, #3)
  • The Advice Girl (Dalara, #1)
  • Prototype D (Prototype D #1)
  • City of Ruin (Legends of the Red Sun, #2)
  • Happy Birthday to You (Birthday Trilogy, #3)
  • Billy Purgatory: I Am the Devil Bird
  • Sudden Moves
  • Aftershock (Rise of the Unseelie, #1)
  • Stone of Thieves (Robbin' Hearts Series #2)
  • Common Descent (Darwin's Children, #3)
As a so-called “Army brat,” Liane grew up in Germany, South Korea, and several different parts of the United States. She now lives in Philadelphia, where she practices law. She is an alumnus of Yale University and the College of William & Mary Law School. She is of Korean and European heritage.
More about Liane Merciel...

Ithelas (2 books)
  • The River Kings' Road (Ithelas, #1)