Start by marking “Tortillitas Para Mama: And Other Nursery Rhymes, Spanish and English” as Want to Read:
Tortillitas Para Mama: And Other Nursery Rhymes, Spanish and English

Tortillitas Para Mama: And Other Nursery Rhymes, Spanish and English

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Young children will treasure this collection of Latin American nursery rhymes. Preserved through oral tradition, these rhymes have been passed on from generation to generation. They have been lovingly gathered and translated for this book and many are accompanied by instructions for finger play. Illuminated by the beautiful paintings of Barbara Cooney, they are now availab ...more
Published January 15th 1988 by Square Fish (first published October 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Tortillitas Para Mama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tortillitas Para Mama

Maria
Jun 10, 2008 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice collection of Spanish nursery rhymes. Each rhyme is presented in both Spanish and English along with any accompanying actions (such as the ones you would do with This Little Piggy). The rhymes are better in Spanish ( because they actually rhyme), but some are pretty entertaining in English. For instance, "Pretty Little Girl" - I am small, I am pretty/ I am my mother's pearl./ If I soil my dress,/ She will beat me. My favorite is Colita de Rana (Little Frog's Tail) because my dad u ...more
Aprils
Feb 06, 2015 Aprils rated it liked it
I plan to use this book as a conversation starter with Spanish-speaking parents at the library. I will read the rhymes aloud to parents and see if they sound familiar to them. Hopefully, we can begin to talk about the songs they grew up with as children.
Pass
Jul 18, 2014 Pass rated it it was amazing
Nursery Rhymes in Spanish -- excellent collection.
Lluvia
Feb 14, 2013 Lluvia rated it liked it
Author: Margot C. Griego

This book had many rhymes. It's written in English and Spanish. I was reading the book in English first and the rhymes didn't make senses. I started to notice some of this rhymes were used by my mom when we were little kids. So I started to read the book in Spanish and it started to make more sense. The rhymes were much better in Spanish. I don't think they should translate some things because it sounds weird in another language.
Elvira
Aug 15, 2013 Elvira rated it liked it
Shelves: children
A collection of classic nursery rhymes in Spanish and English. A few of this were very familiar to my parents, though they realized that many of the rhymes they knew were shortened by their parents. A few of them may not be appropriate for all and many of these can be found in other Spanish nursery rhyme books, though the illustrations are paired nicely with each rhyme.
Samantha
Spanish nursery rhymes written in both English and Spanish with accompanying actions and paintings depicting Spanish families.

Rhymes are short and some lend themselves very well to storytime or classroom use. No pronunciation guides for the Spanish translations so some research would need to be doen for English speakers who want to present both versions.
Ricardo Contreras
Feb 17, 2013 Ricardo Contreras rated it really liked it
Tortillitas Para Mama took me back to a few childhood experiences. Some of the nursery rhymes in the book were told to me as a child. I likes the poems since they were in English in Spanish. However, I liked them more in Spanish and understood it much better. I will say I enjoyed the book and the artwork was very nice.

Age group 3-7

Christine Turner
A collection of nursery rhymes, each in both English and Spanish, collected from the Spanish community in the Americas, many with instructions for accompanying finger plays or other activities.
www.hcpl.net

The collection of nursery rhymes are small, but include several that would work for babytime.
Nancy Espinoza
Jan 12, 2010 Nancy Espinoza rated it really liked it
This is a cute little book for bilingual families to introduce the Hispanic culture into the lives of their little ones.
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Mhbaneraol.com
Mhbaneraol.com rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Laura added it
Feb 05, 2016
Sherri
Sherri rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Marco
Marco added it
Dec 18, 2015
B A
B A rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
MRS J MOULDER
MRS J MOULDER rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Kim Amberg
Kim Amberg rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2015
Bookshelf Study
Bookshelf Study marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Johana Salazar
Johana Salazar marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Cindy Sanchez
Cindy Sanchez marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Ruby Corona
Ruby Corona marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Rocio Martin
Rocio Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Kcarmack
Kcarmack marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015