Start by marking “Tortillitas Para Mama: And Other Nursery Rhymes, Spanish and English” as Want to Read:
Tortillitas Para Mama: And Other Nursery Rhymes, Spanish and English

Tortillitas Para Mama: And Other Nursery Rhymes, Spanish and English

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Young children will treasure this collection of Latin American nursery rhymes. Preserved through oral tradition, these rhymes have been passed on from generation to generation. They have been lovingly gathered and translated for this book and many are accompanied by instructions for finger play. Illuminated by the beautiful paintings of Barbara Cooney, they are now availab ...more
Published January 15th 1988 by Square Fish (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Tortillitas Para Mama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tortillitas Para Mama

This is a nice collection of Spanish nursery rhymes. Each rhyme is presented in both Spanish and English along with any accompanying actions (such as the ones you would do with This Little Piggy). The rhymes are better in Spanish ( because they actually rhyme), but some are pretty entertaining in English. For instance, "Pretty Little Girl" - I am small, I am pretty/ I am my mother's pearl./ If I soil my dress,/ She will beat me. My favorite is Colita de Rana (Little Frog's Tail) because my dad u ...more
I plan to use this book as a conversation starter with Spanish-speaking parents at the library. I will read the rhymes aloud to parents and see if they sound familiar to them. Hopefully, we can begin to talk about the songs they grew up with as children.
Nursery Rhymes in Spanish -- excellent collection.
Author: Margot C. Griego

This book had many rhymes. It's written in English and Spanish. I was reading the book in English first and the rhymes didn't make senses. I started to notice some of this rhymes were used by my mom when we were little kids. So I started to read the book in Spanish and it started to make more sense. The rhymes were much better in Spanish. I don't think they should translate some things because it sounds weird in another language.
A collection of classic nursery rhymes in Spanish and English. A few of this were very familiar to my parents, though they realized that many of the rhymes they knew were shortened by their parents. A few of them may not be appropriate for all and many of these can be found in other Spanish nursery rhyme books, though the illustrations are paired nicely with each rhyme.
Ricardo Contreras
Tortillitas Para Mama took me back to a few childhood experiences. Some of the nursery rhymes in the book were told to me as a child. I likes the poems since they were in English in Spanish. However, I liked them more in Spanish and understood it much better. I will say I enjoyed the book and the artwork was very nice.

Age group 3-7

Christine Turner
A collection of nursery rhymes, each in both English and Spanish, collected from the Spanish community in the Americas, many with instructions for accompanying finger plays or other activities.

The collection of nursery rhymes are small, but include several that would work for babytime.
Nancy Espinoza
This is a cute little book for bilingual families to introduce the Hispanic culture into the lives of their little ones.
Bookshelf Study
Bookshelf Study marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Cindy Sanchez
Cindy Sanchez marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Jeremiah Derek
Jeremiah Derek marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Ruby Corona
Ruby Corona marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Rocio Martin
Rocio Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Marisol Vaca
Marisol Vaca marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Bethany marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Lissy added it
Sep 14, 2014
Javier Fonseca
Javier Fonseca marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014