Start by marking “The Other Bible” as Want to Read:
The Other Bible

The Other Bible

A new edition of our classic, The Other Bible, including a new index, new cover, and a new introduction from the author to bring The Other Bible up to date.

The Other Bible gathers in one comprehensive volume ancient, esoteric holy texts from Judeo–Christian tradition that were excluded from the official canon of the Old and New Testaments, including the Gnostic Gospels, th
Published September 20th 2005 by HarperOne (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Bible

Kate
Feb 02, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok
I had two big problems with this collection:
1. the way it was organized by genre (infancy gospels all together, creation stories together, etc), even to the point of cutting out parts of the story that don't fit the genre. This took the books out of the context of their religious movement and time period, and at the same time didn't allow them to stand on their own by forcing them into artificial categories.
2. The fact that most of the stories here are not included in full but are only excerpts
Kyle Muntz
Feb 07, 2015 Kyle Muntz rated it it was amazing
An immense, incredibly rich collection of noncannonical Jewish and Christian writings, with special focus on the Gnostics and their notion of an evil creator God, "an abortion of darkness".

This book had me thinking a lot about the idea of divinity (the "god feeling") as a poetics/cosmology of the sublime; of fantasy as a means for humans to grapple with an incomprehensible universe, and the power that has within the context of fiction.

I just wrote a much longer review, but I think I'm going to
Suzanne Singman
Aug 21, 2016 Suzanne Singman rated it did not like it
Thank goodness I finished this book. It was very long and dry. I am interested in religion and in it's various forms. This book includes many pieces of biblical literature that have been found that are not included in the "good book" (for any number of reasons). There is a lot of what they call inter-testamental writings, to explain the difference between the god of the old testament and the new testament. But overall it was just hard to read. I am not a scholar, so it was harder for me to hold ...more
Mary Overton
07/14/2009: read 'THE GOSPEL OF NICODEMUS,' a text once considered part of the canon and wildly popular during Medieval times. '...a passion gospel purporting to be an official report of the trial, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus.... one of the most dramatic and moving documents of early Christianity. Argumentative rather than spiritual, it reads like an exciting eyewitness report of murder, miracle, and resurrection.... a fabricated record of the third or fourth century written specifica ...more
adam prometheus
Jan 26, 2015 adam prometheus rated it really liked it
The best collection I've seen of material that was deleted from the official "Bible" by the Church (Emperor Constantine, etc.)- including gnostic and qabbalistic texts, and basically anything that contained any real empowering spiritual wisdom or revealing mythological connections, was labelled as "pagan" and removed from the canon... but they are every bit as legitimate (or more so), source-wise, as the books that they approved! Reading them you can clearly see how vital elements were left out ...more
Melissa
Feb 01, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melissa by: Emilia
So far, this book is pretty interesting. Many religious works omited from the Bible, all together in one place. Currently, I am reading the Kaballah. It is so interesting to compare the differences in religion and points of view, though the stories are pretty much the same. It is facinating to learn how the Hebrew "alpha-bet" is used to "create" the universe by God. Very interesting. Though I am a bit lost in some spots, not being familiar with the religion, I still can't help but be drawn to re ...more
Joanna
Sep 19, 2012 Joanna rated it really liked it
I started reading this a year or so ago, but it ended up back on the bookshelf before I finished it (it is 732 pages). It contains the text of the Gnostic Gospels, Dead Sea Scrolls, Visionary Wisdom Texts, Christian Apocrypha, Jewish Pseudepigrapha, and Kabbalah. Instead of all of the books being sandwiched into one, the book is edited so that it begins with Creation Myths taken from each of these sources, with subsequent sections organized in the same manner. I'm reading it again because the Ap ...more
Corey
Aug 27, 2008 Corey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who are interested in non-mainstream religion/spirituality
so far this book is quite interesting. Looking at some of the early scriptures that were suppress by mainstream Christianity and other forces of the early day. This book includes th Gnostic scriptures, Dead sea Scrolls, Visionary wisdom texts, Christian Apocrypha, Jewish Pseudepigrapha, and the kabbalah. There is a descrian of what each of these are and translations.
Thise that are interested in relious history and alternative spirituality, this text is for you. It will not only challenge and al
Eric
Jan 22, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing
Western religion from a respectful and alert perspective. Here is the developing biblical tradition in all its diversity: Gnostic, Samarian, Blakean...

The translations are crisp and accessible, the introduction and notes informative in the extreme.

This book contains much of what has been missing in the average person's religious education. And it will broaden the reader's perspective even as it conveys the intensity of the search for God.
Sherri Moorer
Feb 02, 2012 Sherri Moorer rated it really liked it
This was interesting. It gave me a broader perspective on The Bible and the context of the history of our faith. The gnostic gospels can make your head spin and, of course, all of this is open to interpretation. I feel that it's beneficial for Christians to read because we can learn a lot from the text here that wasn't accepted into cannon, although I do recommend reading with great discresion and discernment.
Daniel
Really interesting reading of additional scripture texts that have been found - especially the books of Enoch and of Adam. These texts were accepted as legitimate texts back in Jesus' time and shortly there after, but were later culled from the holy books and destroyed where possible.

This mostly isn't page-turner reading, though it is in places. Even so, it's a great resource and worth checking out.
Paige
Apr 02, 2008 Paige rated it really liked it
Great reference of non-canonical gospels.
I only give it 4 stars because, due to paper contraints (!!), the gospels aren't complete and neither is the body of gospels represented. IMHO it's a 'must read/browse through' for everyone interested or involved in christianity...which sort of includes everyone in america due to our money and all sorts of things w/reference to the word 'God' in it.
Christie Bogle
Ok, so I bought this book back in 1990. (maybe a previous version) but I find it interesting that they describe the book as having followed a trend that began with a book that is only, what, five years old? Well, call me a trendsetter! I read the apocryphal texts and the gnostics texts as a CHILD for FUN. Woo hoo! Pays to go to catholic schools,eh?
Denise
Sep 23, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought this pre-Google, pre-Wikipedia... pre-internet. It has served me well as a quick reference book, alas it takes up precious space on my book case and most of the information can now be found with a few key strokes. Goodbye book, if the library can't use you, may you be recycled into a new and loved form.
Michel Tietie
Jun 24, 2013 Michel Tietie rated it it was amazing
This book changed not only my personal views on religion, especially those of the Christian doctrine, but also my view of the world as a whole! Who knew that the only thing I need to pull me out of the darkness was a good book! Of course, one can't very well read inside a cave now can one.
Sammy Sutton
Apr 20, 2011 Sammy Sutton rated it it was amazing
This is a huge compilation,filling more than 700 pages with ancient scriptures and texts. Featured are the Gnostic Gospel, Dead Sea Scrolls, The Visionary Wisdom Texts, Some books of the Christian Apocrypha, Jewish Pseudepigraphs, and Kabbalah. All of these are fabulously translated.
Tamara
May 25, 2010 Tamara rated it it was amazing
As Barnstone said in the intro; "These documents, therefore, present an exceedingly interesting area of study for scholars working in the field of religious history, sociology, and psychology... in them there is no grace that leads to salvation...there is only human nature."
Roland Volz
Feb 03, 2009 Roland Volz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Always interesting to read books other people would prefer you didn't read. In this case, they're major books of faiths related to Christianity. It touches on several other religions without giving you too much to digest. Well-documented as well.
Joan
Dec 09, 2008 Joan rated it it was amazing
Important to me to find out what was missing in the King James Version and now I read it every once in awhile when I want to clarify something spiritual in my life. It's best to read hit and miss, and then to study slowly.
Dalewoodruff
Oct 21, 2008 Dalewoodruff rated it really liked it
If you've ever wondered what the books left out of the bible were like, this is a GREAT opportunity to read samples of those texts! Includes the gospels of Thomas and Peter and many other gnostic texts.
Sandy
Jul 21, 2009 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: religion-myth
A compilation of non-canonical biblical texts. It includes texts from non-Peter following sects (like Mary followers) as well as discarded texts that compilers believed conflicted with their own views.
Iman Zaineb
Aug 26, 2012 Iman Zaineb rated it really liked it
An excellent source for introducing new students of religion to unorthodox texts. And one of the few published sources containing the story of Lilith. I only wish for a bit more context.
Patrick\
Check out the Odes of Solomon - magnificent! The rest is largely so much fabricated twaddle. We can never fault our ancestors for the extent and vividness of their collected imaginations.
Terra Bosart
Feb 09, 2010 Terra Bosart rated it really liked it
The book of Enoch and the other creation stories are fascinating. It's easy to understand why so much of this never made it into the bible.
Chad
Mar 20, 2008 Chad rated it really liked it
A collection of early Gnostic, Christian, Jewish, Kabbalistic, and Pagan writings. Very interesting and insightful.
Steve
May 29, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
Read the weirdly wonderful tales that didn't make it into canon. Worth it for Thunder Perfect Mind, alone.
Terence
May 31, 2010 Terence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Brilliant collection of great material, apocalypses, wisdom literature, great stuff.
Mark Righter
Dec 23, 2009 Mark Righter is currently reading it
Ref,outstanding gnostic gospels,Also has the dead sea scrolls,The christian Apocrypha...
Andrea
Aug 01, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
An enlightening look into the politics behind the creation of the Bible.
Steven
May 16, 2008 Steven rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
A great compendium of lost scriptures from a variety of world religions.
  • The Complete Gospels: Annotated Scholar's Version
  • The New Oxford Annotated Bible: New Revised Standard Version
  • The Lost Books of the Bible
  • Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians
  • The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins
  • In Search of Zarathustra: Across Iran and Central Asia to Find the World's First Prophet
  • A Source Book in Chinese Philosophy
  • Pistis Sophia: A Gnostic Gospel
  • The Great Medieval Heretics: Five Centuries of Religious Dissent
  • The Dead Sea Scrolls Deception
  • The Five Books of Moses
  • The Secrets of Judas: The Story of the Misunderstood Disciple & His Lost Gospel
  • Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew
  • The Word on the Street
  • The Gnostic Discoveries: The Impact of the Nag Hammadi Library
  • The Curious Feminist: Searching for Women in a New Age of Empire
  • The Gospel of Thomas: The Hidden Sayings of Jesus
  • The Lost Books of the Bible and the Forgotten Books of Eden
Willis Barnstone is an American poet, memoirist, translator, Hispanist, and comparatist. He has translated the Ancient Greek poets and the complete fragments of the pre-Socratic philosopher Heraclitus. He is also a New Testament and Gnostic scholar.
More about Willis Barnstone...