Start by marking “The Yorkshire Pudding Club” as Want to Read:
The Yorkshire Pudding Club

The Yorkshire Pudding Club

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,637 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
'The Yorkshire Pudding Club' is the story of how three women find themselves empowered by unexpected pregnancy. For Helen, pregnancy is a dream come true. For career-woman Janey, it is a nightmare. And for the emotionally lost Elizabeth, fears she may be carrying a child she will never love.
Published March 1st 2007 by Pocket, (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Yorkshire Pudding Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yorkshire Pudding Club

Limau Nipis
My first read by Milly Johnson, and it was quite OK.

I like the plot. 3 best friends were pregnant at the same time. This is a light hearted chic lit, but at the same time, these 3 friends had a much darker secret.

Helen - who always wanted kid - was thrilled, but her husband did not.
Janey - who was always careful with contraception, was surprised she was pregnant.
Elizabeth - who has a damaged childhood, did not know whether she would love her baby or not.

It was a slow read for me at first, becaus
Wendy
Mar 24, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it had me hooked from the beginning. I listened to the audiobook version of this but also have the paperback and read some of that too (when I could). I have audiobooks for when I'm on my way to places and can't pick the book up. Sometimes this can mean I get some funny looks off people because I'm either laughing at the book or grinning very widely. This book caused me to do alot of both. I absolutely loved the revenge scenes, which fortunately I listened to at home so was ...more
Hannie
Als je op zoek bent naar een leuk boek voor tussendoor, dan is dit zeker een aanrader. Hoewel de hoofdpersonen ook wel minder leuke dingen meemaken is de sfeer van het boek positief en vrolijk. Het is soms wel wat voorspelbaar, maar dat heb je met dit genre (chicklit) wel vaker. In het begin moest ik even in het verhaal komen, maar toen ik erin zat, las het lekker weg.
Lydia Laceby
Jul 18, 2012 Lydia Laceby rated it it was amazing
Originally Reviewed at Novel Escapes

This was another lovely read by Milly Johnson. It was her first novel and I enjoyed it just as much as A Spring Affair which I happened to read first. I did find the Yorkshire Pudding Club didn’t grab me in the beginning in the same manner as A Spring Affair, but regardless, I enjoyed loved this chick lit tale and can’t recommend her novels enough.

I laughed and cried and noticed the characteristic Milly Johnson smile that appears on my face as I read her novel
Carol
Jan 19, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
This is the first Milly Johnson book I've read and it's the start to many more. It's a fab read, full of life just like the characters. It's never boring or repetitive and moves along at just the right pace. It's a very easy read and very funny, but it has it's sad parts too and I found myself laughing out loud one minute and crying the next . At the end I was doing both at the same time.

The characters are all very different and immediately likeable and you can really feel the bond they share. T
Jules (Never enough time to read)
I really enjoyed it. It was funny, cute and romantic but the characters also dealt with some serious issues.

It is the first book by Milly Johnson that I have read but I very much doubt it will be the last.

Definitely recommended if you're in the mood for a book about pregnancy and impending motherhood. The Yorkshire pudding club was very entertaining.
Nicola Clough
Nov 21, 2015 Nicola Clough rated it it was amazing
A really good read funny at times and just an excellent story of three women who have met at uni and stayed friends and all have partners. They all fall pregnant and will they have fun together or will all three ladies have disasters a must read.
Jun 20, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
3.5 stars really. Another fun read, guilty pleasure escapism, with some laugh-aloud moments too. There's something special about Milly Johnson's novels; once I start one I can't put it down.
Hannah
Feb 22, 2011 Hannah rated it really liked it
Johnson's books are a breath of fresh air. 'Chick-lit' has come to be tediously renowned for it's 20-something protagonists who have high flying careers in the City, live in bijoux apartments and whose biggest dilemmas revolve around how many calories there are in a kit kat.

Not so with 'The Yorkshire Pudding Club'. In this fun, warm and interesting novel, three 30-something women from South Yorkshire, who have been friends since school, fall pregnant at the same time and all in very different ci
A.J. Llewellyn
Mar 15, 2015 A.J. Llewellyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
Emily
Jan 10, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
I listened to this audible book in a few short days. I enjoyed the idea and storyline, along with the subject. The characters were all likable and well developed. However, I had a hard time keeping all the characters and storylines straight at times. I had to concentrate super hard, and also I had to re listen to different chapters. In the end I really found myself wanting to know more about the other characters, and how things turned out for them. I finished feeling like the ending was rushed.
Sue Burton
Jan 27, 2016 Sue Burton rated it really liked it
Liked this book and really liked the main characters. A feel good book
Mary Elizabeth Morton
Entertaining!
Paseandoamisscultura
Aug 16, 2016 Paseandoamisscultura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finish
3,5
MR SHAUN N WOOD
Oct 09, 2016 MR SHAUN N WOOD rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read wonderfully romantic

Didn't want this book to end enjoyed it immensely. Will read another by this author as this WS a good read
Katey Lovell
Feb 16, 2014 Katey Lovell rated it really liked it
It's just another Milly Monday, o-o-oooooo (in a Bangles style singing voice...)

And today I'm reviewing The Yorkshire Pudding Club, which was Milly's debut novel and is still my absolute favourite of hers.

The Blurb:

Three South Yorkshire friends, all on the cusp of 40, fall pregnant at the same time following a visit to an ancient fertility symbol. For Helen, it’s a dream come true, although her husband is not as thrilled about it as she had hoped.

Not only wrestling with painful ghosts of the pas
Karschtl
Die Storyidee - drei beste Freundinnen sind gleichzeitig schwanger - fand ich gut. Obwohl es unglaublich klingt, war es bei mir und 2 meiner besten Freundinnen (die ich ebenfalls schon seit der Schule kenne) ganz genauso. Wir haben innerhalb von 5 Tagen unsere 3 Babies entbunden. Da wir örtlich nicht mehr so nahe beieinander wohnen wie die 3 Protagonistinnen, haben wir unsere gegenseitigen Schwangerschaften nur aus der Ferne verfolgt.
Die Entwicklung der Story mit den jeweiligen männlichen Neben
Elusive
Dec 18, 2014 Elusive rated it liked it
Shelves: review
Contrary to its title, ‘The Yorkshire Pudding Club’ isn’t about pudding. The story revolves around three friends who have to deal with unexpected pregnancy. There’s Elizabeth who’s emotionally closed off and has a dark past linked to her baby, Janey who’s career-oriented and fears that pregnancy will affect her career and Helen who’s trapped in a loveless marriage.

The main characters were alright but there was nothing that made me particularly like any of them. Elizabeth’s honesty was refreshing
 victoria  Norton
Feb 26, 2016 victoria Norton rated it liked it
A better chick lit novel but still formula fiction. Whenever I read chick lit, which is less Ann's less, there is always formula fiction and here it is no different. You usually get 3 sisters/friends and a good guy male love interest whose eye is on one of these females but she is mean and down right rude to him despite being perfectly nice to others. Same old stuff. The book was funnier than most though.
The author threw in a few none existent words and made some grammatical errors.
I would expe
Agi
Mar 15, 2012 Agi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
This book was waiting to be read by me for almost a year. It was on my "pile by the bed". I didn't know what it is about as I have read the summary very briefly, or maybe I didn't read at all? Because I really had no idea what I am going to read about.
And bingo... The three main characters getting pregnant and awaiting a baby... And I am waiting for my baby to arrive in about three weeks, too:)))) So I totally understood the three friends and connected with them immediately... All the disadvanta
Joanne
Aug 06, 2015 Joanne rated it really liked it
`The Yorkshire Pudding Club' focuses on the lives of three South Yorkshire friends, Helen, Elizabeth and Janey. The opening of the book sees them travelling to sit on an ancient fertility symbol on hillside, to help Helen who has been trying to get pregnant. The three friends are very different, Helen, an heiress, has all the material trappings a woman could want, but is trapped in a cold, abusive marriage. Elizabeth is warm and bubbly, but emotionally withdrawn and finds it difficult to let ...more
Jina Howell-Forbes
Has anyone out there read this book, plus one or more others by Millie Johnson? I thought this was going to be a light and quick romance story. Her other book SOUND like that in reviews as well, but I'm hoping someone can tell me if some of her other books have depth as well. I thought I needed a light read as a respite from darker books, but I liked this well enough to want more like it. Any suggestions?

This was the story of the friendship between three near-Forty woman who accidentally get pre
Margaret Prezioso-Frye
Aug 11, 2014 Margaret Prezioso-Frye rated it it was amazing
Helen catches him in the act - had you guessed it was her (!) - and makes a surprising comeback while her boss gives us a little food for thought. Love does conquer all although Elizabeth goes down kicking and screaming confessing what never needed to be said, but now at least we know the fertility symbol didn’t do it. The last trimester has us swollen, exhausted, and counting the days as the phone rings off the hook – a baby is coming early!
One bad apple gone, one new husband, and one stay-a
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
I loved this so much, far more than I thought I would. Anyone who has been through childbirth will recognise everything about what the three women in this story go through, and you can't help but root for them. Janey frustrates with the quick way she jumps to the wrong conclusion, but that makes her character seem very realistic. Helen and Elizabeth both have major challenges to overcome, but they do so with humour and strength.

Johnson is a new author for me and her turns of phrase were just a
Kath Blake
Jan 13, 2008 Kath Blake rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Not only mothers-to-be but women of all ages who value friendship
Recommended to Kath by: found it whilst browsing
Bought this book for a trip in a few weeks, dipped into it and read the lot this weekend. What a great read. Funny, warm and made me choke back tears in a few places. Just how I communicate with my own friends, it appealed on many levels and I will be lending this out to those friends to see what they think. Thought it was a new book so it was a nice surprise to see that it's actually been out there a year and there's a second offering by Miss Johnson out in February. I'll be buying that for my ...more
Louise Jones
Jun 19, 2016 Louise Jones rated it really liked it
i have never read a milly johnson but decided to alot is said against reading these kind of books but their is more in them then what people think the resons why different people react to more or less the same situation is quite astounding and shows how you are parented as an effect on you in later life a fact i know to well thats prob why felt i knew why Elizabeth was like she was !!!!!!!!!although not kids etc of my own it was quite facinating with the pregnancy notes , i will look out for ...more
Jennifer Whiteford
Jul 21, 2012 Jennifer Whiteford rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I just can't stop reading Milly Johnson this summer. This one was especially great to read since I'm pregnant myself and could laugh along with most of what the characters were going through. I love her books because they tend to be more about female friendship than romance and they are always funny and well plotted. Plus the nasty characters always get what's coming to them, which is highly satisfying. My only complaint about this was that the reader goes into it knowing that all three women ...more
Megan
Jun 09, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
This book is exactly what you'd expect - a quick, easy read about friendship. It is often funny and definitely appropriate for anyone who is or has been pregnant.
However as someone who is used to reading literature, it was a little difficult to get past the exaggerated explanations of EVERYTHING. I often felt like the author was force-feeding me the feelings of the characters. I would have given it 3 stars but because I could really relate as a freaked out pregnant lady, I enjoyed it more than I
Rebecca
Nov 08, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
I liked this, though some things did annoy me - I didn't like how the main focus was on Elizabeth, and how Helen was the leat utilised, as I thought the dynamics of Helen and Simon's relationship could have been explored a lot more. I didn't like how long it took for them all to find out they were pregnant, because the blurb had already given that away and so the first 100 pages or so felt like a lot of filler. However I liked the dynamics of the friendship group, I thought the dialogue and the ...more
Brigitta
Originally I only picked up this novel because of the setting, Yorkshire. On that front it was a bit of a disappointment, I could have done with a bit more local details, but after all I really enjoyed the story and didn't seriously miss anything. The characters are lovable, the conflicts and problems are real and the conclusions arevsatisfactory and not too cheesay either. I loved snuggling up with it, it is such a warm, comforting read.
  • It's Now or Never: The No-Nonsense Guide to Leadership
  • Sweet Temptation
  • The Personal Shopper (Annie Valentine, #1)
  • Mum on the Run
  • I Never Fancied Him Anyway
  • Woman to Woman
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • The Baby Trail
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • Wedding Tiers
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • The Beach Hut
  • Young Wives' Tales
  • The Book of Jane
Milly Johnson was born in Barnsley, raised in Barnsley and still lives in Barnsley - although she did study in Exeter for four years and emigrate to Haworth in West Yorkshire in the 1980s.

She trained as an actress, teacher, an accountant, a Customer Services and Suggestion Scheme Manager as well as working in a variety of administrative posts for companies dealing with anything from antique furnit
More about Milly Johnson...