Start by marking “The Bike Lesson” as Want to Read:
The Bike Lesson

The Bike Lesson (The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  536 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Literary legends Stan and Jan Berenstain take readers for a ride in this classic Beginner Book edited by Dr. Seuss. Small Bear has a new bike, but before he can ride it, his dad insists on a teaching him about bike safety. From learning how to stop and turn to going down a hill and traveling roads you know, Small Bear has a lot to learn. And Father Bear has an unforgettabl ...more
Published September 12th 1964 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Bike Lesson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bike Lesson

Amara
Have you ever seen the Berenstain Bears like this:

No? Then you haven't seen the Berenstain Bears at their best. This was the era before every book tried to shove a ham-fisted moral down children's throats. This was the time before Papa Bear became a belligerent asshole. This was the era when Brother Bear was called Small Bear because Sister Bear hadn't been born yet.

If only this could have lasted.

Just take a moment to compare these two covers:

The image on the left bears the original character de
Dee-Ann
I loved these bears when I was a child ... but for some reason my boys dont like them as much as we did. Still, my boys were mesmorised by the story last night and even when my 12 year oold got called away, when he returned he wanted me to go back to the place before he had left.

This is a simple funny rhyming story of all the things you should not do when riding a bike, as the father goes to show.
I just love Dr Seuss books ... they will always have a special place in my heart. Timeless.
Risa
As someone who isn't really a fan of The Berenstain Bears, I actually found myself enjoying this book as I was reading it with my two-year-old nephew, because he was enjoying it. Full of cheesy rhyming lines, this book is about the lessons that Papa Bear teaches to Small Bear upon buying, but before giving, him a new bike. The outcomes of the lessons are somewhat comical, which makes reading it almost bearable. (Oh, the bad puns never end.) Find your favorite small human and enjoy this light rea ...more
Sam Gaume
The bike lesson does not provide a moral, but it does touch base on an important time in a lot of kid’s lives: learning to ride a bike. Papa teaches his son how to ride by pushing him down a hill after a while and he figures it out on the go. I know I learned in a similar manner so it was fun to see the similar story. Before the hill though, there are a couple fun tips of how to approach showing a kid how to properly ride a bike. Papa demonstrates and works with his son during this whole process ...more
David Sarkies
Little Bear gets a new bike
3 August 2013

I must admit that when I was a kid I loved the Berenstain bears and from what I can gather from Goodreads, so did a lot of other people. There has been mentioned that these older books are much better than the newer books, but I personally do not know the difference, maybe because I was not really exposed to the two different books, or maybe I had only ever dined on the classics. This particular book I would have to suggest is a classic.
Papa Bear buys Li
Sudha Neelakantan
Love the book but kindle format is abysmal

the pictures are tiny on a 8.9" HDX and you have to double click.each page to increase the size to about half the screen. then to get to the next page you have to x out the zoom, then swipe.also you can't see the text in zoomed view. so you get to see either the pic at halfway normal size or the text but not both. awful!!!
Rosa Cline
This is one of the original Berenstain Bears books the illustrations are a bit different than the children are used to in the cartoons. But the rhyming lines are fun and the adventures that Papa and Little Bear get into are fun to read and listen to throughout the book.
Tracy Poff
The Bike Lesson is another early Berenstain Bears book, this one from 1964. Like The Big Honey Hunt, we see Papa Bear insisting he knows best, and coming out the worse for it.

The story is simple: Papa Bear has gotten a bicycle for Small Bear, but before he'll let Small Bear ride it, he wants to give him some lessons. Of course, it looks like Papa Bear is in need of lessons himself! He tries to cover up his failures ("This is what/you should not do./Now let his be/a lesson to you."), but one wond
Heather
A great book, with great rhyming, and the kids always snuggle closer when I read it.
Kim T.
We simply love these stories. This is one of our favorites.
Heather
Such a cute, humorous story.
Vicki
This is my all time favorite Berenstain Bear book to read aloud to a group. It would be best received by children 5 years or older if reading in a group. This book always gets some laughs and the younger ones can relate to how hard it is to learn how to ride a 2 wheel bike.

While Papa Bear is not the best teacher, he certainly does an excellent job of what not to do!
Shelli
Yet again another Berenstain Bear book where Papa Bear gives a lesson in what not to do. A great book to share with your kiddos who are learning to ride bikes or are already seasoned riders. Ask the children can explain what is wrong with Papa Bears Bike Safety Rules? Or at least with how he is demonstrating them.
Samantha
Brother Bear gets a bike, but Papa Bear has a few lessons to teach him before he gets a chance to ride it. Each lesson Papa Bear attempts to teach Brother Bear blows up in his face adding humor to the story.

Rhyming text makes for a good read aloud. Recommended for grades PreK-2.
Elizabeth S
A very early Berenstain Bears book, before the characters had the familiar look we all know and love now. I enjoy how the book takes us from one silly Papa Bear moment to another even more silly, and does it over and over again. The rhythm and rhymes of the book are fun to read aloud.
T Crockett
Great repetition for young readers. This one feels a bit like a Dr. Seuss. There's great opportunity to use different voices if you're reading aloud and the images are really funny. This one had the 4 year old in hysterics. Both the 4 and 2 year old wanted it several times today
Dolly
Jun 11, 2009 Dolly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
Our girls enjoy the Berenstain Bears books and this one had them giggling the whole time I read it. If you include the fact that they didn't wear a helmet (our girls pointed that out right away), it's actually a pretty decent safety lesson on what not to do when riding a bike.
Vim
This was a funny Berenstain bear story. No wonder some people got hooked into reading these books. This book describes what to do and not to do in your first ever biking lesson with a Berenstain bear twist.

Can't wait for more. :)
Leila
Dec 31, 2012 Leila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Totally wicked of me, but I love that the dad shows him all the things NOT to do on a bicycle and ends up getting hurt every time. A good, lighthearted way to show kids the dangers and responsibilities of riding a bike.
Sheila
Gotta love it! The dad was so sure he needed to give the child a LESSON instead of just letting the child ride the bike! We parents could learn a lot from that. Just let the kids be!
Bobbi Taniguchi
"Not yet, not yet, not yet, my son..." is often quoted in our house. One of the early, funny Bernstein Bears before it became a money-making and formulated series.
Sharon Taylor Xuereb
My kids think this book is funny, especially if you use difference voices for each character. A fun book of what not to do when riding a bike.
Andrea
This was a cute enough book and funny to boot. The kids got good giggles about Papa's antics while teaching brother to ride a bike.
Melanie
Through a series of mishaps, Papa teaches Little Bear how NOT to ride a bicycle. Even my two year old was laughing!
Lia
I remember really enjoying this book as a child. I thought it was so funny to see the lesson teach more than intended.
Sandra Mackintosh
Another Berenstain Bear adventure. This time dad is giving his son a bike riding lesson.
Grade 1 - 2
Theresa
the characters and stories of the berenstain bears teaching children early learning concepts.
Lottiehasya
I love this! And the early illustrations were 10 times cuter than they are now.
Kelley
This book is so funny. I love reading this one. I get a kick out of it every time.
Michelle
A book you gotta love, even if you are no longer a child.
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • The Cat In The Hat Dictionary
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • Come Over to My House
  • Henry and Mudge Get the Cold Shivers (Henry and Mudge, #7)
  • The Horse in Harry's Room
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • Amelia Bedelia's Family Album
  • Happy Haunting, Amelia Bedelia
  • Frog and Fly
More about Stan Berenstain...
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV