Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster

The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster (The Berenstain Bears)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  696 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Illustrated in full color. Sister can't believe the gift Brother gets for his birthday--it's the biggest, shiniest three-speed bike she's ever seen! She may not be big enough to reach the pedals, but she wants that bike! The evils of jealousy become clear in a nightmare in which a green-eyed monster convinces Sister to prove that she can ride the bike. But look out! Sister ...more
Published March 7th 1995 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster

Ashley Field
It's Brother Bear's birthday and when he receives his new racing bike from Mama and Papa, Sister is terribly jealous. Mama Bear tells her that she gets to have Brother's old bike. Although, that is not what she is interested in. She wants a brand new big bike like brother. Mama tells Sister about the Green-Eyed monster getting her and that she needs to not be so jealous. Sister has a dream about the Green-Eyed Monster convincing her to ride Brother's new bike and she accidentally crashes and bre ...more
Rachael Paz
May 09, 2014 Rachael Paz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I personally love this book. I was thinking about purchasing it as a gift for my little cousin who actually does have "the green eyed monster" over me owning the show accurate Toys R Us Exclusive Collector Series of Princess Celestia from My Little Pony.
My daughter won't put this book down. I read it five times the first day. Anyhow, I love the green-eyed monster concept. I also liked that Papa bear suffered from it too, showing adults are subject to the same emotions and dilemas as children.

I loved finding a way to explain terms such as envy and jealousy in ways my daughter could relate too. I talked to her about how that monster can get in our hearts but that we can change our hearts from wanting what we don't have to being happy for what an
Pauline
Great book with great message. Important lesson on jealousy and greedy
Kristen
I was obsessed with this book as a kid.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster by Stan and Jan Berenstain
This one is about the "Green-Eyed Monster," jealousy or envy. Brother Bear get the shiniest new bike for his birthday. Sister get very jealous, and wanted to ride it, even though she's too small. She later has a nightmare, where the green-eyed monster, tells her she needs to show everyone, she is big enough to ride it.
Christy
Illustrated in full color. Sister can't believe the gift Brother gets for his birthday--it's the biggest, shiniest three-speed bike she's ever seen! She may not be big enough to reach the pedals, but she wants that bike! The evils of jealousy become clear in a nightmare in which a green-eyed monster convinces Sister to prove that she can ride the bike. But look out! Sister.
T Crockett
This one is very popular with the toddler set. I think they can understand where Sister is coming from, and love the green monsters.

I like that the plot is a bit different from the TV version of the same story, which makes a teachable moment about movie adaptations. Hey, it's never too early to make the argument for reading the book before seeing the movie.
Kristie
Great book, with a great message, for not only kids but adults. My kids love this book. They wanted to read it because it was about a "monster". But once we read the book a couple times through they started to understand the meaning. Everyone parents should read this book to their kid to teach them to be grateful for what they do that.
Heather
I used to read these with my parents all the bloody time! Most of them were so loved that they had all fallen apart. This one was an exception because I got this one when I was much older. I had outgrown the reading level, but I hadn't outgrown the love of these characters.
Angela
Loved this book! Momma bear did an excellent job in discussing jealousy and envy with her daughter. I also thought it was great how Poppa bear became jealous of his friend and Sister bear taught him a lesson.
chucklesthescot
Brother and Sister Bear find out how to deal with jealousy. This book is quite funny and you get to see that the adults are just as prone to jealousy as the children are.
Rachel
The green eyed monster refers to being greedy. I would use this book to discuss being greedy and the issues with it. Students might get a kick out of the illustrations also.
Sweet's Family Bookshelves
All of my kids have enjoyed the Berenstain bears books. This one was no different. Sister learns about the Green-eyed monster (being jealous) and overcomes it.
Dawn Van Ness
Stan Bernstein gives us excellent books to introduce or reinforce morals and productive behavior: excellent source of pro-social behavior.
Adrienne
That little green-eyed monster version of Sister Bear is creepy! If I were a kid, that thing would give me nightmares!
Rebecca (everyday reader)
The Bear family teaches important lessons!!
Jaime
We love all berenstain bear books!
Tim Hardin
Great series on sibling jealousy.
Kate Mowery
They're not wearing helmets!!!!!
PWRL
Jan 26, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
  • The Berenstain Bears: Safe and Sound!
  • Clifford's Manners (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • Curious George Goes to a Costume Party
  • When I Grow Up (Little Critter)
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive (The Magic School Bus, #8)
  • The Magic School Bus In The Haunted Museum: A Book About Sound
  • Popcorn
  • Mother Goose (Little Golden Book)
  • The Rescuers (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Angelina on Stage
  • Froggy Eats Out
  • Touch and Feel: Farm
  • Another Monster at the End of This Book
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 72 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears Bright and Early Board Book) The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV