Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Go Out for the Team ” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Go Out for the Team

The Berenstain Bears Go Out for the Team (The Berenstain Bears)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,017 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
When backyard sluggers Brother and Sister join the Bear Country Cub League, they get real uniforms and play on a baseball field. They also have pressure to win and competition from the other cubs. But it's Mama's advice that helps them prepare sensibly for team sports.
Paperback, (First Time Books), 32 pages
Published January 12th 1987 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Go Out for the Team, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Go Out for the Team

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. SterlingThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Olivia by Ian Falconer
Childrens
83rd out of 108 books — 8 voters
Corduroy by Don FreemanBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneLittle Bear by Else Holmelund MinarikThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan Berenstain
Bears on Bookcovers
131st out of 143 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Alicia Rotter
Feb 06, 2015 Alicia Rotter rated it liked it
In the classic Berenstain Bears book, Brother and Sister try out for their little league baseball team! It started off as a friendly game of baseball, but when Mom and Pop saw how well they have progressed in the sport they suggest trying out for their local team. Nervous at first, Brother and Sister mess up a few times, but quickly get the hang of it and are able to make into the team!

My favorite thing through the whole book was the way the author tied in the parents feelings about Brother and
Olivia Bailey
This is a good book to read if a lot of studnets play sports in the class. The book teaches about the importance of having fun not competition.
It also introduces the word "pressure". This is a good book to help students understand what it feel like and how to handle it.

It can be a mentor book to show students how to write as time passes. In the book, the autor was able to list what brother and sister did throughout the seasons in one page. The students can study this craft if they want to lear
Matthew
Apr 01, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it
The cubs try out for the Berenstain equivalent of little league, and learn the important lesson that no matter what happens, a game is just a game. It's been a while since I read one of these books, and I almost forgot how well done they are. They are always so full of positivity.
Sarah King
Brother and Sister are great at backyard baseball so they decide to join a baseball team. Will they be able to handle the pressure?
Michelle  Cropper
Nov 07, 2014 Michelle Cropper rated it really liked it
This is a great book, but for older readers (more first grade level). It could not keep my daughter's attention (she is almost four).
Steve
Jul 17, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
I love reading the Berenstain Bears books to my children. Each and every one of them sends a positive message.
Talya Joan Taylors
Aug 10, 2015 Talya Joan Taylors rated it it was amazing
I have loved reading these books when I was a child they are the best!!
DrosoPHila
Feb 05, 2016 DrosoPHila rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, sport, children-s
Contains some strange baseball-related terminology.
Elizabeth S
Sep 08, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-picture
A great book for baseball fans. We see an examples of practicing in your own backyard, organizing a pick-up game with the neighborhood, and trying out for the city league. I especially enjoyed the attention on rules that the casual baseball player may not know, such as how to steal first base. Something of an abrupt ending, but that didn't ruin the book for me!
Asho
Jul 10, 2012 Asho rated it liked it
I liked reading the Berenstain Bears books when I was an early reader. They aren't as much fun as picture books to read aloud to someone, but they are cute books to introduce children to common childhood experiences. Each one teaches a simple lesson (in this case, it's about handling the pressure of a competitive little league team in a healthy way).
Kathy Ellen Davis
Aug 12, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Maybe it's the baseball player in me,
but I loved this book as a kid.

The pressure of trying out for a team?
Totally relatable.

And is it just me,
or do more parents need to chill out at their kids sports games?
That's addressed in here too!

chucklesthescot
Aug 25, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
Brother and Sister Bear decide to get involved in team sports and try out together. I wish when I was a kid that I'd had a chance to get involved in more sport but sadly those options weren't available to us!
Nicki
May 28, 2016 Nicki rated it it was amazing
This is a good story about setting realistic expectations when "going out for the team"--for both kids and parents. The end includes a very short, but obvious, reminder to parents that it is just a game.
Jan 17, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
I liked this book. It shows that being nervous about something is ok as long as you try. It also shows that girls can do anything boys can do. It teaches that as long as you try, you might succeed.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it
Because of this book (and maybe others) I was one of the few kids who made a conscious effort to pick people who weren't popular early. Perhaps also because I wasn't so popular myself.
Lisa
Oct 31, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: children, youth-8
I like this book cause it teaches children that baseball is just a game. It also goes through the feelings of being accepted into a team sport at tryouts.
Sam Malcolm
Great book to teach students that it's okay to be nervous and that girls can do anything boys can do and vice versa.
Karen
Aug 19, 2007 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I loved reading the Berenstain Bears to my kids. The stories are great and the illustrations are fun.
Michelle
Apr 20, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My son loves this book! It combines 2 of his favorite things: baseball & The Berenstain Bears!
Ryan Berggren
it was a good book. i kinda liked it. it was not that interesting.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Sep 18, 2010 Rebecca (everyday reader) rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The Bear family teaches important lessons!!
Megan burling
Dec 10, 2010 Megan burling rated it liked it
it was ok when i was 5555555555555
Dimps
Feb 15, 2008 Dimps rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
One of my childhood favorites. :)
Jaime
Apr 12, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it
We love all berenstain bear books!
Slayton
Cws
Jun 18, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR4-Ber
  • What a Bad Dream (Little Critter)
  • The Berenstain Bears: Sick Days
  • Clifford's Happy Easter
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Franklin Is Lost
  • Trick or Treat, Little Critter (Little Critter)
  • Curious George Learns the Alphabet
  • Angela's Airplane
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark