Start by marking “The Big Honey Hunt” as Want to Read:
The Big Honey Hunt

The Big Honey Hunt (The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,202 ratings  ·  50 reviews
This classic Beginner Book written by Stan and Jan Berenstain—and edited by Dr. Seuss—is the debut of the beloved Berenstain Bears! The Bear family has run out of honey, and Father Bear and Small Bear are sent to get more. But rather than just get some at the store as Mother Bear suggested, Father Bear decides to follow a bee and get fresh honey from the source. Early read ...more
Published September 12th 1962 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Honey Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Honey Hunt

Chocolat by Joanne HarrisLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Food-Related Fiction
281st out of 335 books — 436 voters
Perfume by Patrick SüskindChocolat by Joanne HarrisThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlLike Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Smells
129th out of 245 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Rob
The Big Honey Hunt is such an early Berenstain Bears work that the B. Bear family has only one obnoxious kid. In this early reader, we see just how limited the possibilities for moralizing are without two endlessly squabbling, misbehaving children: we are reduced to learning lessons about the perils of amateur apiculture in the age of Africanized honeybees.*

Though the Berenstains do a fine job presenting the themes of Papa Bear's eternal foolishness and sticking (heh-heh) to what you know, I'm b
Madison Godfrey
It is a story about Mama Bear, Papa Bear and their son Small Bear, the plot in this book is that the family has run out of honey and Mama bear gives Papa Bear and Small Bear the task of getting more. She tells them that they should just go to the store to purchase the honey but Papa Bear tries to collect wild honey instead. On the journey to the tree filled with the honey they follow a bee tree to tree but instead of finding honey encounter other animals including a porcupine and a family of sku ...more
Rachel
I hate to say it, but the Berenstain Bears were more fun before Small Bear became Brother Bear and they got all moralistic and stuff. This book is a hoot. I read it to my pre-reading son last night, and after one time through, he was able to "read" it to himself in the car today, not getting all the words right, but making up his own to fit around the sing-songy rhythm and rhyme scheme and the bits he remembered. Excellent.
Alexandria
Mama Bear, Papa Bear and their son Small Bear run out of honey and Mama bear gives Papa Bear and Small Bear the task of getting more. She tells them that they should just go to the store to purchase the honey but Papa Bear tries to collect wild honey instead. On the journey to the tree filled with the honey they follow a bee tree to tree but instead of finding honey encounter other animals including a porcupine and a family of skunks. Once they finally arrive to the tree that has the honey it is ...more
Morris
"I liked when they got honey from the honey store."
David Sarkies
The modern economic system for children
4 August 2013

I do really like the Berenstain bears, and this was one of those stories from my childhood that I read over and over again. Basically the bears run out of honey and are asked to go and get some more from the store, but Papa bear decides that he will save some money and go on a honey hunt by following a bee. However, as can be expected, his knowledge is far from perfect. Basically he thinks he knows how to hunt for honey, but he makes assumptio
Tracy Poff
The Big Honey Hunt is the first Berenstain Bears book, from way back in 1962. It tells about how Papa Bear and Small Bear (who would later be called Brother Bear) go out to get some honey. Mama Bear has told them to go to the store, but Papa Bear thinks that buying honey is for suckers–-he'll go get it from a honey tree. Of course, this has predictably (for those who know Papa Bear) disastrous results.

One thing I noticed when reading this is that the art style has really changed over the years.
Jun 05, 2014 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
When they run out of honey, Papa Bear and his son go on an adventure in search of some wild honey. They encounter all kinds of wild animals before finally finding the honey tree. Unfortunately they realize where there is honey there are also likely to be bees, and end up buying honey from the store after getting chased away from the honey tree by the angry swarm.
This story was cute, the illustrations are nice, and it is definitely a good early reader with lots of repetition and rhyming.
Margot Major
Item Description: New York: Beginner Books, Random, 1964. Book Club ed. Hardcover. 63 pages., 1964. Book Condition: Very Good. No Jacket. An I Can Read It All By Myself, Beginner Books edition. Vintage Book Club edition. 150 word vocabulary. Sewn binding. VG/No Jacket. Clean, tight, PO name dated 1965. Light scuffing at tips/edges. Pages brightand crisp as new

29.00
Connie
This is one of the earlier Berenstain Bear books, and it shows. Despite the cover, the bears on the *inside* of this book are less stylized and cutesy than the bears in the newer books. Also, the book is more of an early reader, it rhymes and is nowhere near as wordy as the newer, $4 books. (Tell the truth, I like all these older Berenstains better!)

The little bear and his dad go out to get honey, but of course they eschew the honey store *right next to their house* and go on, surprise, a honey
Eileen
Jun 09, 2011 Eileen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 2-8
Shelves: kids
I'm kind of torn on my review for this book.
The female child in me (figuratively speaking, you perv) gets satisfaction out of the adult male trying to be all macho, defiant, and know-it-all; then gets a large helping of humble, told-you-so pie.

The helicopter Mom part of me doesn't like the fact that we're teaching children to practice irresponsible behavior and actions on the assumption that you're always correct and you "know better" than everyone else and you'll do it "my way."

Then the medicat
Christine Matson
I love that my Grandma gave me books and my mom saved them. Now I read them to my daughter and they are so special....especially with some of my doodling!:)
Pam
This is such a classic, we all love this one...the Papa Bear is too funny and sure of himself, even when he shouldn't be!
Rosa Cline
This is one of the first few Berenstain Bears books. Full of lines that rhyme that tell the story of Papa Bear thinking he knows best when in the end if he'd done what Momma Bear and "Little Bear" said first he wouldn't have had such and adventure. Cute beginning reader.
Audryaunna Amateis
Papa Bear and Brother Bear are sent out to get honey. Papa goes through a lot of trouble to get the perfect honey.
Heather
Love these books. I hope they all rhyme like these early books do.
Phinn loves this one.
Dolly
Jun 28, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
Our girls really enjoy the Berenstain Bears' books and this appears to be one of the first in the series. (Sister bear is not part of the family yet). Papa bear and his son (Small Bear) go out to refresh their honey pot and Papa Bear knows best how to divine where the bees are hiding their honey. Or does he? A funny adventure ensues and it's surely a classic among the Berenstain Bears books.
Lynn
This was a very enjoyable book. As my son read it, it seemed that it may be one of, if not the first, Berenstain Bear books. It was a charming story with Pa Bear and son Bear going to find more honey for the family, which ends up with a typical Pa Bear adventure. I highly recommend this book for parents with beginning readers, or parents who are looking a book to enjoy with young children.
Josiah
This Berenstein Bears book is quite a bit different from most of the later entries. The style in which it is written is much more like that of Dr. Seuss, complete with an ingrained lesson. In this case, the simple message is that things are not always how they appear, and one can get into some tight spots if one makes such assumptions. I always have had a lot of fun with this book!
Cherene
You have to read the classic. Don't get me wrong, the rest are good, but this is a wonderful introduction to the books we all know and love.
Katie
Jul 31, 2014 Katie added it
Shelves: 1-000-books
IIIII
Richard Epstein
I don't know if I've read this particular Berenstain Bears book, and I don't know how one would tell. They are utterly fungible. I won't say they are valueless, because they may compost well. If you must read a kids' bear book, go for George Duplaix's The Big Brown Bear, which helped inform my soi-poetic sensibility.
Emkoshka
A fun and easy rhyming read as Dad and Small Bear go in search of a honey tree only to find that sometimes you have to swallow your pride and admit defeat! Actually, it reads as a parable of how the hunter-gatherer lifestyle has been subsumed by capitalism. Hmmm. I enjoyed the beautifully textured tree illustrations.
Emily  O
Jun 28, 2009 Emily O rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Emily by: my mom
Shelves: juvenile
I have loved this book ever since I can remember. It was one of my first books that my mom read to me, and she still has it memorized because I made her read it so much. I love it with all of my heart, and I will probably read it to my children some day. We still have a copy of it.
Janessa
Jul 04, 2013 Janessa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001-children
The Berenstain bears were some of my favorite books growing up. I had the whole series. THE BIG HONEY HUNT was the first in the series. They taught important life lesson, such as friendship, in a way that was more fun then being preachy.
Denise
Brother Bear and Papa go on a honey hunt. Through the use of Papa Bear's five senses, the bears are able to deduce the location of a honey tree -eventually. Characteristically, Papa Bear manages to goof it up. Overall, a cute story.
Modboy
The first Berenstain Bears book and one of my favorites. Read this as a child, read it to my little brother and now reading it to my son. Was published by Dr. Suess which may explain some of the rhyming-pattern similarities.
Linda
The 'all-knowing' looks from mum out the window were enough for me to remember this book. And on the day that Australia inducts its first female prime minister too. We are amused.
Pamela
My daughter really enjoyed this book - the pictures and the sing-song rhyming of the words. She even tried to read along with me.
I give it 5 stars.
  • Curious George in the Big City
  • Alfie Gets in First
  • Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • Flap Your Wings
  • The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks
  • Gorilla
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • The Eye Book
  • Avocado Baby
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read Books)
  • Up in the Tree
  • Stop, Train, Stop! a Thomas the Tank Engine Story (Thomas & Friends)
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • Glasses for D.W. (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Jamela's Dress
  • Curious George and the Bunny
More about Stan Berenstain...
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV