Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Slumber Party” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Slumber Party

The Berenstain Bears and the Slumber Party (The Berenstain Bears)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,048 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Sister Bear's first slumber party at Lizzy Bruin's gets out of hand with pillow fighting and soda squirting--and then Brother Bear and Cousin Freddy show up. Lizzy's parents have no choice but to end the party, and Brother and Sister receive a valuable lesson in behaving away from home.
Published March 17th 1990 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Slumber Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Slumber Party

Emily Garrison
Oct 20, 2016 Emily Garrison rated it it was amazing
This book was published in 1990 by Random House Publishers and is a book in the First Time Book series. This story starts out with the phone ringing in the Bear family home. It's for Sister and Lizzy is on the other end wanting to invite Sister to a slumber party. Lizzy is inviting a few of her best friends and Sister is to bring her tape player. This will be Sister's first night spent away from family so Mama is apprehensive but she agrees. Before Sister leaves, Mama tells her that sleeping ...more
Kat
Nov 17, 2016 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2016
Basic Plot: Sister Bear is invited to a slumber party that goes out of control.

This book is very useful for starting a conversation with kids about privilege and responsibility. The Berenstain Bears books have always been wonderful tools for teaching kids lessons about everyday situations, and I read a LOT of them when I was a child. Now that my son is starting to read books with a little more advanced vocabulary, and he is needing some of these lessons, the Bears are an old friend I can turn to
Cassandra Gelvin
Oct 13, 2016 Cassandra Gelvin rated it did not like it
Went in one ear and out the other.

Sister Bear goes to a slumber party, but the host's parents aren't home and the host ends up inviting a jillion people and some others crash the party and somehow Sister's parents blame her.

Mama Bear doesn't give Sister any actual advice or think about what kinds of situations she could get into, only tells her that she has responsibility. What that responsibility is, is never mentioned. Is this like Spider-man? Is she supposed to catch criminals?

The best part,
Cierra Fisher
May 14, 2016 Cierra Fisher rated it liked it
The Berenstain Bears and the slumber party is a picture book written by Stan Berenstain for children ages two to Seven years of age. This book is a classic children book that's been around for ages. to give a brief description The Berenstein bears and the slumber party is focused on sister bear wanting to attend a friends sleepover for the first time. Her mother was unsure at first because this would be sister's first time sleeping away from home. Mama and papa bear allowed sister to stay but ...more
Tessa Hensley
Dec 08, 2015 Tessa Hensley rated it liked it
Students will get into trouble at home, at school, and everywhere in-between. Sometimes it is their fault, other times it isn't, but lots of times it is a combination of things that happen in order for something to go wrong. This book would be good to read to show students how a seemingly okay situation can turn bad, especially in the upper grade levels. Yes, this is a book for small children, but if you read this in a high school or middle school class you could relate it perfectly to their ...more
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 26, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: maybe
The Berenstain Bears and the Slumber Party by Stan and Jan Berenstain
This was not one of the better ones. It was ok when, I was little, but so out of date now. Even the term slumber party, is out. All I heard is what kind of phone is that, I've never seen one. What's a BoomBox? What do you do with a cassette tape, and where does the cd go? So she was just to distracted by the 80's and 90's to focus.
Sister gets invited to her first sleepover. But as kids are kids, I know, it happened in my house
Asho
Jul 15, 2012 Asho rated it liked it
This is a strange one. The little bears effectively throw a raging kegger (minus the beer, of course) and the police bust the party and everyone gets into trouble. The cops showing up to a children's slumber party is obviously a really unlikely turn of events, but the idea that such a thing could happen would have definitely scared me into good behavior as a kid. Maybe that's the point?
Also, I'm noticing a trend in these books that both the kids and the parents learn a lesson each time. It's a
David Natiuk
Jun 27, 2012 David Natiuk rated it it was ok
Hmmm... I usually like the Berenstain Bears books, but this one doesn't seem to fit. Sister going to a sleepover where a raging party happens? It's a plot lifted right out of a Hollywood movie. Sure, it has a good message, but it just doesn't work when everything surrounding the message doesn't feel like it should.

Yeah, I could be reading into this too much. I just think with tapes and boom boxes and telephones without caller ID, etc. it just is sorely outdated for kids growing up today.
Gala
Feb 04, 2012 Gala rated it really liked it
This story is for children on a higher reading level with more words to read. The story starts off with the use of a telephone the old fashioned ones that do not have caller identification. The little sister gets invited to a slumber party with other friends over someone else house.The news spread about the party because of the telephone. There were no adults to limit the invitations and the party was out of control.This lesson was for parents taking responsibility for over punishment and not ...more
Shacoria
Jun 25, 2011 Shacoria rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Small Children
This is the 8th Berenstain Bears book that I have read. I love the first line of this book about telephones. It shows that clearly these books were written in a simpler time before caller I.D. and cell phones and such. lol. Now if someone calls you know exactly who it is. This book was pretty interesting. I don't really think sister bear was to blame for the wild party. She didn't even know it was going to happen. She just thought she was going to a little sleepover.
Kelsey Nauert
Nov 17, 2011 Kelsey Nauert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
The Bernstein Bears books are a great series. Sister asks to go to a slumber party, and Mama agrees. After ignoring Mama's speech on responsibility and priveledge, Sister and her friends get rowdy at the slumber party. Papa helps Mama realize she wasn't being very responsible either. Mama takes Sister to help clean up the house. The book teaches responsibility, priveledge, and trust.
Shelli
Aug 13, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sister Bear is attending her first sleep over with a few friends, or is she? Somewhere along the line communication was lost and this small sleepover became a call the police to quiet down the masses late night party. A good book to read before sending your small kiddos to their first slumber party to talk about what not to do.
Benjamin Elliott
May 21, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it it was ok
This book was strange to me. The character's don't seem to act appropriately for the age I think they are supposed to be in this series or the age of the target audience for these books. If this scene had taken place in one of their chapter books that would be one thing, but as a stand alone picture book, I don't really buy it.
chucklesthescot
Apr 01, 2011 chucklesthescot rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
Lizzy decides to invite her best friends round to her house for a slumber party. But word soon gets around the town that there are no parents at Lizzy's home and just a babysitter, so cubs start to gatecrash and make a huge mess. The parents are all angry at the way the cubs had no respect for someone else's property.
Victoria Beaudoin
I loved this book! Going back and reading this book reminded me of my childhood! I used to read all the Berenstain Bears books when I was little. I loved the story line and the fights that the little brother and sister always got into. They reminded me of how my older brother and I used to be.
Modboy
Nov 25, 2012 Modboy rated it it was ok
Recommended to Modboy by: Park Slope Library
Slumber party is such a fun theme but unfortunately the party only takes a couple of the pages while the rest of the book is planning for the party on the phone or preaching the lesson of privilege and responsibility. It ends up being pretty dry compared to the other Berenstain stories.
Rosa Cline
Oct 05, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, birthday
This is a good book to help teach children the responsibly that come along with sleeping over at a friend's house. And a reminder to parents what they should do before their child goes to a friends house too.
Shannon
May 13, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Shannon 1990." Lots of rad early-'90s party-style festivities. I didn't like sleepovers then and I don't like them now.
Heather
May 11, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I used to read these with my parents all the bloody time! Most of them were so loved that they had all fallen apart.
Joy
May 10, 2010 Joy rated it liked it
Sometimes little bears'
good behavior ends
when they pack their pajamas
and stay over with friends.

Lizzy invites Sister to her first ever slumber party and things get out of hand.
Gordon
Mar 07, 2010 Gordon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ryan ip
Sister Bear had messed her friend's home and she was taken home and was punished. I like this book because it is funny and make me want to have a slumber party too.
Rebekah
Jun 08, 2015 Rebekah rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sister Bear learns a lesson in respecting other people's property and making good decisions in the face of peer pressure.
Virginia Burnham
Virginia Burnham rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
Cass
Cass rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2012
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2014
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2008
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2010
Betsy
Betsy rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2011
  • The Berenstain Bears: Safe and Sound!
  • Clifford's Pals
  • Merry Christmas, Little Critter!
  • In the Time of the Dinosaurs (The Magic School Bus, #6)
  • The Magic School Bus Meets The Rot Squad: A Book About Decomposition
  • Arthur's Teacher Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Froggy Bakes a Cake
  • Donald Duck's Toy Sailboat
  • Carl's Birthday
  • The Magic School Bus Hops Home: A Book About Animal Habitats
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark