Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream

The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream (The Berenstain Bears)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,794 ratings  ·  49 reviews
After watching a scary movie, both Brother and Sister Bear are troubled by nightmares until Mama and Papa explain what causes bad dreams.
Published May 12th 1988 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream

The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food by Stan BerenstainThe Berenstain Bears No Girls Allowed by Stan BerenstainThe Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream by Stan BerenstainThe Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room by Stan BerenstainThe Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money by Stan Berenstain
What IS the best Berenstain Book ever?
3rd out of 15 books — 12 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderAmelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
Books for seven-year-olds
190th out of 474 books — 211 voters

More lists with this book...

Rosa Cline
This book is a really good way of explaining dreams to your older children (younger ones may not fully understand) but this was a very good explanation. Brother Bear enjoys a specific toy but it scares Sister. But she starts coming around to playing with them with Brother. But then later has a bad dream and goes to her parents bed and as they comfort her they explain what and why you have nightmares. Then not long after Brother has a bad dream and comes to Papa for comfort and Sister is able to ...more
Matthew Ledrew
The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream. This book, is awesome. Brother Bear has these action figures he loves and a movie comes out based on them, but it’s aimed at an older demographic. He begs and begs and eventually gets to go, then has bad dreams as a result.

I think this is a fairly relevant issue, both when it was written and today. This book came to mind a few years back when I was at a screening of The Dark Knight and there were seven-year-old's there. Those kids definitely had nightmares
This has to be my favorite of "The Berenstain Bears" series. It does such a great job of explaining the (un)reality of nightmares in a way even young children can understand. I think it has helped my daughter manage her feelings about bedtime and nighttime.

That, and it is utterly fun and hilarious. When my daughter was two, I used to tweak the wording a bit in certain sections dealing with evil lords and planet destruction, but now that she's five we just enjoy the ride. The part where Brother d
This book was about a bad dream. I really, really didn't like this book because it was scary and I wouldn't recommend it because I wouldn't want other people to have a bad dream. I didn't have a favourite character.
Olivia Bailey
The book explains what nightmares (bad dreams) are. Students can relate to this book book because a lot of children have bad dreams. It can ease the studnets if they had a bad dream the night before or that they remembered.

This book could also be a writing inspiration for students to write about a nightmare they had. They can use the book to get ideas. There story could be fictional or true. This allows them to release the anxiety or any bad emotions about nightmares.
Another writing activity cou
You can stock your library with Berenstain Bears books, they're that cheap. And we all remember them from our own childhoods.

Unfortunately, they're really pretty wordy books. A lot of children in the age range for these books simply can't sit still through them.

This book takes it a bit further in that most of it is not about the bad dream at all, but about the events leading *up* to the bad dream. Which is great and realistic, but which may lead a small child (or a grown-up) to wonder what the
I love reading the Berenstain Bears books to my children. Each and every one of them sends a positive message.
Apr 18, 2015 Gena rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Sweet little book teaching kids what makes them dream.
One portion of Brother Bear's dream is of being a paper doll and his clothes coming off. In these young readers, it's annoying to have such unneeded distractions including a picture of this. I'd rather just read a book with my little one(s) and not have the child(ren) disturbed and spend time dealing with that in conversation. Life provides enough opportunity for that--so unnecessary to the book/story. Another child would think nothing of it, I'm sure. But why put it in there for those it does? ...more
Stan and Jan Berenstain have a wonderful way of explaining situations that pop up in life in a way that makes sense to small children. In this book both Brother and Sister Bear have a nightmare and need to run to Mama and Papa's room to calm down. While I doubt this book will stop kiddos from getting upset over bad dreams, this may help parents on how to talk to their kids about them. The reminder of this book and how other kids, or cubs, have this same thing happen may calm your child down and ...more
Chelsea Horton
This book is about brother bear and sister bear having bad dreams. Sister bear saw a ballerina movie while brother bear saw a space movie. Still they both were scared of the same space people because brother bear plays with them all the time. I thought this book was just alright. I mean it was good, but I guess I was bored. It needed to speed up a bit or else I was going to fall asleep!
I've started to re-read these books with my son and this one didn't have a good flow like other Berenstain Bear books. It didn't have a resolve just an explanation of what a bad dream is. I expected them to either face their fears or learn to handle nightmare situations. The story built and didn't go anywhere in the end, so I was left unsatisfied with the story.
This is a cute little children's book. It has that whole 'typical children's book' feel to it where you know that at the end of it everything is going to work out and everyone will learn a lesson. It's a very wholesome and innocent sort of book. I am planning to read many of the books in this series over the next few days.
Mar 04, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a fantastic book that explains nightmares in a way that children can understand. It seems to be a bit longer than the average Berenstain Bears book, but our girls really liked the story and asked to read it again!

We've borrowed this one from the library a few times.

Just picked this up; my Mom was describing using it in a tutoring program. Sister and Brother learn about nightmares after too much time with their "Space Grizzly" toys. Any parent or anyone who cares about young kids reading should hope these books are around forever.
Students can relate to this book about having bad dreams. We all have bad dreams sometime in our life. This book will help the younger children understand what causes bad dreams. This would be a good book to read for a read a loud allowing students to conquer their fears.
Sarah Winters
This book is something many students can relate to and would find some humor in it. I think the pictures are really creative and add to the story. It's smaller than most in the series so it appeals to a larger audience. Recommended for first to fourth graders.
Brother Bear really wants to see a new film that is coming out but Sister Bear thinks that it sounds too scary and goes to watch something different. However both Bears have similar nightmares and their parents try to explain to them what causes bad dreams.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Loved this one as a kid.
Who doesn't have bad dreams?
And the kids kind of look at their dreams and see how they relate to their real life.
That's cool!

A lesson, but not too preachy.
Love the detailed pictures! Such a cute story. I loved these books when I was little and I can't to collected more of them for my classroom. I feel they are very relatable to kids.
Sister Bear and Brother Bear have a nightmare after goint to see A Space Grizzlies movie with Brother Bear. They then play with Brother Bear's Grizzlies toys. Guess the theme.
Kristin Hamley
My son loves this one. I love the moment when Mama Bear turns Sister Bear's bad dream on its head with "Isn't that interesting?" and helps her see the origins of her bad dream.
Jeff Stockett
I loved the Berenstein Bears when I was little. This was my favorite one. I liked all the cool creatures and robots and other things that were in the bad dream.
Some dreams make cubs laugh.
Some dreams make them cry.
It's interesting to think about
what they dream and why.

Brother and Sister have bad dreams.
I loved reading this book when I was little as well as a bunch of the other Berenstain Bears books! Good for kids learning about bad dreams!
I LOVE the Berenstain Bears books, just like my Mom says she did when she was little, but Mom says now she gets really tired of reading them.
i thought this one was awesome. i loved how all the little action figures looked. you had kick-assed little bear action figures.....totally rocked!
Jaymin Cheatwood
Still one of my favorites from when I was young. I'd recommend it for anyone trying to explain nightmares to little ones.
55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555 STARS
Jaime Contreras
This is one of the best BB books because of the touchy subject of excessive horror movies. I loved it.
  • Just Going to the Dentist (Little Critter)
  • The Berenstain Bears: Safe and Sound!
  • The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Angus and the Cat
  • My Goodnight Book
  • Inside the Earth (The Magic School Bus, #2)
  • Clifford's Manners (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • Hurry Up, Franklin!
  • The Tooth Book
  • Curious George's Dinosaur Discovery
  • Arthur's Birthday (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Andrew Henry's Meadow
  • Angelina and Alice
  • Where's Waldo Now?
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark